Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Thanks Spike, I have replied direct. I have two from Westmoreland to get and a couple of possible war memorial names.

• 3 weeks later...

Jim,

Did I send you this photo of Nellie Spindler's gravestone? I took it while on the recent Pal's trip.

Regards

Robbie

post-4246-1116227478.jpg

Thanks Robbie. Nellie was a true casualty who died from shrapnel that seemed to have passed through her body from front to back near the heart. All gave some. Some gave all. Nellie fell into the latter group.

Thanks Robbie. Nellie was a true casualty who died from shrapnel that seemed to have passed through her body from front to back near the heart. All gave some. Some gave all. Nellie fell into the latter group.

Yes indeed, and thanks for the extra information you provided earlier today. A very interesting character.

Robbie

• 1 month later...

Another summer coming up. More people needed who are flitting off on their hols and willing to take some photographs for me. Or, indeed, where you live now that the sun has come out. I am preparing a register of WW1 serving female casualties. I want to include as many photographs of their grave headstones as possible. Let me know if you can help and I will give details as to what is in the locality. Please respond.

ps sorry, I forgot that some antipodeans may be reading this. It's your winter approaching but I still need a few photo down there and I don't mind if they are snow laden.

I am still certainly willing to run over to Arlington for anyone, and other locations nearby. Not really headed out of town this summer, but what I can do around here I am more than willing to contribute.

Andy

Thank you, Myrtle, for coming direct. I have sent my requirements to you. And Andigger, You have already fulfilled my needs at Arlington and been very helpful. Thanks again.

Guest birdflightless

Jim,

Do you require a picture of the headstone of Worker, 6886, Amy Coote Galley, Q.M.A.A.C, died 18/10/18, aged 21, intered in St. Mary's, Great Henny, Essex.

I visit my parents every weekend nearby, so it is an easy one for me.

Regards

Stewart

Hello Evelyn, I have come back to you direct with my requirements. Many thanks for coming forward, Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

What a great project! I don't know how many you need in Ontario, but send me the lot if you like and I'll see what I can do. Certainly any in/near Ottawa I can probably get. I will also be traveling in the Toronto area later in the summer.

MJP

Jim. Thanks for the reply re Florence Annie Conybeare. Found this today in Manor Park Cemetery. Please email me with anything you need London/ Essex. Regards Steve.

Steve, I have sent you my "wants" seperately. I see from another post that you have just been to the "City of London Cemetery" so I seem to have just missed your getting me one there. Thanks for the picture of the headstone of F.A. Willis. I needed this one and I had hoped that it would be a private one so that there would be some information on the headstone that would help me. She is one where I have very little information. All that I have is the CWGC information which is thin. All that I know is that she was a sister in the TNS, died on the 15th December 1919, was attached to the 4th London General Hospital and where she is buried. I don't know her first names, date of birth or where she came from. When I have finished my present line of research I shall have to concentrate some effort on her.

Jim. Thanks for the email the list came through fine, Though most of them are not in the area I'll see what I can do. It's not much help but there was no other Willis stones near to hers but it was in a area with stones of it's time i.e. 1890's to 1920. Regards Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Stewart and Evelyn. I have come back to you direct.

I really would like to pass a milestone and see France completed. With summer holidays imminent now seems a good time to list places where I still need some pictures. Contact me if you can help and I will be pleased to give you the details.

AISNE - Vauxbuin French National Cemetery

CHER- Bourges (St. Lazare) Cemetery

DIEPPE - Janval Cemetery

ESTAIRES - Estaires Communal Cemetery

FERE-EN-TARDENOIS - Oise-Aisne American Cemetery

LE HAVRE - Ste. Marie Cemetery

LE TREPORT - Mont Huon Military Cemetery

MARSEILLES - Bouches-du-Rhone

MARSEILLES - Mazargues War Cemetery

NORD - Godewaersvelde British Cemetery

NORD - Lille Southern Cemetery

NORD - Malo-Les-Bains Communal Cemetery

PARIS - Levallois-Perret Communal Cemetery

PYS - Pys Communal Cemetery

ROMAGNE - Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery

SURESNES - Suresnes American Cemetery

THIAUCOURT - St. Mihiel American Cemetery

• 1 month later...

Jim,

Here is the Brignell headstone from Sutton Road Cemetery, Southend-on-Sea which you were wanting. Software seems ok now.

post-1871-1126106806.jpg

• 1 month later...

AN UPDATE - Volunteers have continued to supply me with pictures of WW1 serving female casualty headstones. Terry has just supplied me with the last one at Brookwood so that large cemetery is now complete. Starting from the far South West the following counties are now finished. Cornwall, Devon, Somerset, Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Dorset, Hampshire, East and West Sussex and Essex. I am indebted to the Pals from this Forum who have helped complete these. So now I am looking to spread further and I am looking for volunteeers to help me complete the following counties. If anyone can help please contact me and I will be pleased to provide names and grave locations.

ISLE OF WIGHT

Oakfield

Ventnor

KENT

Beckenham

Canterbury

Dover

Elham

Herne Bay

Orpington

Ramsgate

Riverliead

Stone

LONDON

Abney Park

Bromley Hill

Brompton

Camberwell

Deptford

Fulham

Hampstead

Highgate

Lambeth

Lewisham

Nunhead

Wandsworth

Woolwich

OXFORDSHIRE

Cogges

Oxford

SURREY

Fulham

Kingston upon Thames

Streatham

Jim,

I will help out with Cogges and Oxford.

Rob

Rob, That would be super and see another county finished. The ladies are as follows :-

COGGES

Lucy HARRIS, WRAF, died 1/11/18 and is buried in St. Mary's churchyard. Sorry, no grave reference but hopefully a small churchyard. If you get a problem I will get a plan from the CWGC.

OXFORD (BOTLEY)

Mabel MURRAY, TFNS, died 2/11/18 and is buried in Botley cemetery plot II.1

OXFORD (HEADINGTON)

Margaret WOODCOCK, WRAF, died 6/11/18 and is buried in Headington Cemetery plot 9.4

OXFORD (ROSE HILL)

Ida Styles HUGHES, WRAF, died 10/3/19 and is buried in Rose Hill cemetery plot C. 155

Good hunting, Jim (jimstrawbridge@coinsale.fsnet.co.uk)

Thanks Jim will get back to you.

Cheers,

Rob