Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Poppy of Autumn

Sparky53

My 17 year old came home from school wearing a poppy this evening - around 1 month before I'd consider wearing one.

When do they 1st come on sale as it were?

Jane

Nice that he is wearing it with Pride!

They are a tad early!

The official start of Rememberancetide is 29th October 2005.

sadly if collections are started early then other charities that subsequently suffer can complain & future Collections are then placed in jeopardy,as permissions to collect have to be obtained by the RBL from local authorities.

However there is nowt to prevent anyone WEARING a Poppy 365 days a year if they so desire{hence one sees TV Newsreaders & most presenters wearing them in the run up to Rememberancetide as a gentle reminder to the Public that they are on their way!}

NB Please not all you e bay sellers that you can now designate a % of your sales{directly during listing descriptions} to a nominated Charity~The RBL will gratefully receive your donations! ;)

Blimey - I've only just put the labels on the 100+ tins sitting in my garage. I'm thinking about putting the two million or so poppies in the trays at the weekend. Half term week i get the stuff out to my collectors.

Counting the money's the fun bit.

That's a bit naughty really. As HarryBetts mentioned other charities can complain if Poppy Organisers start collecting outside the prescribed dates. My local council allows me to start house to house collections on 29 October this year and street collections will start on 5 November. If I break the rules I could end up like many places that get only 2 days to 'sell' poppies. I don't want to risk that and so none of my poppy people will get trays of poppies until the evening of 28 October; even though it means that that weekend will be a very busy one for me.

I have no problem with people wearing poppies all year round. I have a plastic poppy on the front of my car all the time; but poppy appeal organisers must not offer poppies to the public outside of Remembrancetide or else the RBL could lose its licence.

Garth

There are set (and strict) rules for house to house and street collections. However, I think you can collect any time of the year elsewhere with the permission of the owner/manager/landlord (depending on where you are collecting) and as long as it is a static display. For example anyone going from pub to pub (or any other business) rattling a tin is covered by the House to House collection regulations, but a tin on the bar with a box of poppies beside it is fine. If Jane's son got his poppy from someone selling them at school with the permission of the Head or (for example) from a static box in a newsagents there would be no problem. If it was from a street seller then there is a problem (for the street seller).

Neil

Neil

My Gallipoli poppies have just started to flower and they look great.

(It is spring here in Downunder :D )

Peter

A couple of years ago I bought a postcard showing WWI soldiers in a long trench somewhere on the Marlborough Downs. I thought I recognised the background and duly set off to locate the spot. It turned out to be in a field covered in poppies, which I found poignant. I went back this year and there wasn't a poppy to be seen, the farmer having ploughed and planted something else.

Moonraker

There are set (and strict) rules for house to house and street collections. However, I think you can collect any time of the year elsewhere with the permission of the owner/manager/landlord (depending on where you are collecting) and as long as it is a static display; but a tin on the bar with a box of poppies beside it is fine. 

An "all year round" Collection Tin/Box can be left @ static locations[if you are brave enough!]not so sure about actually leaving the Poppies there also,as they are akin to "Flags" on Flag days and have a proscribed donation period,which is governed by RBL & Local Authority Regulations.I stand to be enlightened though!

RBL Hon POA Guyhirn Cambs.

Harry.

I am sure you are correct about the poppies - I hadn't considered the RBL having their own rules on the matter.

Neil