Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The First RFC Pilot KIA in WW1

Tom H

For some years now I have been trying to get some information on my Wife's Great Uncle,Flight Lt Vincent Waterfall who had been a Pilot in WW1.

I found a mention of him in the War Research Society battlefield tour booklet of 2000 where he is mentioned in the Air Aces Tour.

It states that"On route to Ypres we visit Tournai and pay our respects to the first two airman KIA during the war."

It states also that "Lt Vincent Waterfall and Lt.George baily were shot down on 22nd August 1914 just north of Mons."

On a visit to Hendon Airfield museum seveal years ago I checked with the lady behind the counter at the entrance to the canteen/book shop and she directed me to a large book on the bottom row second shelf along. Here I found the information stated above ,it also says that their deaths were the first indication the Germans had that the B.E.F. were actually in France.

At this stage I seem to have run into a brick wall as even the Waterfall family have nothing else on him. I do have a photo of him prewar with his motorcycle,but am not sure yet how to attatch photos.

Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

Tom29216

Tom

From the Official History "War in the Air" vol.1:

On August 22nd there were 12 reconnaissance flights. 2nd plane to land had one Sgt-Major Jillings, no. 2 squadron as observer. He was wounded, thus becoming first British airman wounded in an aeroplane (hit in leg by rifle fire from ground). 22nd was the first day on which a plane failed to return from over enemy territory. Lts V Waterfall and CGG Bayly of number 5 squadron started a recon in an Avro at 1016hrs. Reported missing the next day. "It was the bringing down of this aircraft which no doubt gave the Germans their first assurance of the presence of the German forces." The observer's report was found by Belgian civilians and eventually reached the War Office in London.

Andrew

Tom

First of all, welcome to the Forum, I'm sure you'll find it useful and interesting.

Lt C G G Bayly, Lt Waterfall's companion on the day of his death, was the subject of an earlier discussion which you may find interesting. See

Best wishes

Gareth

Tom

Here is the list of Officers in No. 5 squadron

Commander:

Major JFA Higgins, DSO, RA

Flight Commanders:

Cpt. D G Conner, RA

Cpt. G I Carmichael, RA

Cpt. R Grey, Warickshire Royal Horse Artillery (T/Force)

Flying Officers:

Lt. H F Glanville, West India Regiment

Lt. F G Small, Connaught Rangers

Lt. R O Abercrombt, RFC, special reserve

2nd Lt. C W Wilson, RFC, special reserve

Lt. H le M Brock, Royal Warickshire Reg.

Lt. R M Vaughan, Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers

Lt. L da C Penn-Gaskill, Norfolk Reg, special reserve

Lt. A E Borton, Royal Highlanders

Lt. Lord G Wellesley, Grenadier Guards

Lt. C G G Bayly, RE

Lt. C E C Rabagliati, Yorkshire LI

2nd Lt. A A B Thomson, RFC, special reserve

2nd Lt. L A Strange, RFC, special reserve

2nd Lt. R R Smith-Barry, RFC, special reserve

2nd Lt. D C Ware, RFC, special reserve

2nd Lt. V Waterfall, East Yorkshire Reg (special reserve)

Cpt. R A Boger, RE

Cpt. B C Fairfax, Reserve of Officers

Attached:

Lt G S Creed, South African Defence Forces

Tom,

There is a website giving info about Waterfall & Baylys' crash.

It is not in English, but it does have nice photos of both airmen.

http://www.1914-1918.be/insolite_avion.php

To all of you who have answered my plea I can only say Thank you from the bottom of my old Aussie heart.

Now that I have found this site I will try to work out how to add more info on my detail sheet .

The photo of Vincent is so much like my Brother-in-Law Scott Waterfall that it is uncanny.

Thank you all again.

I will be back.

Tom29216

Please see CWGC Debt of Honour for entire record on both men-

URL http://www.cwgc.org

Thank you very much PFF.

The site is great. :D

Back here down under I work with a veterans site called Armed Services Assistance Centre (ASAC) www.asacaustralia.com

answering questions when I can regarding members and NOK's problems and the site will be of great value to us as we have a large number of X RN types in our ranks.

ASAC was initially anAdvocacy group set up by Naval Association members to help our lads fight the government for benifits.

They were so successful that now we have all Services attending for help.

Thank you again.

Tom29216

• 3 months later...

I know that this is a while ago, but I too am related to the Lt Vincent Waterfall.

The Waterfall family, does in fact have a fair bit of information about him. My mother has a copy of the letter from the priest who found and hid the bodies from the germans.

More personally, he was quite a socalite. Excelled in many sports and was quite highly regarded.

What else was it that you wanted to know?

Diana

• 2 weeks later...
p.s. That is a nice picture, I have another one of lesser quality. But I believe that he looks far more attractive in it.

:)

Hello Diana,

I apologise for the delay in answering your message.it was due to my travelling

to visit family in South Australia and Victoria followed by some Sick Bay time ,

however all is well now.

I am pleased to hear from a Waterfall from the UK and am sure my

Brother--in-Law,Scott will be also.

He naturally has more knowledge on the family than me as I only joined them

50 years.ago when I married his Sister.

So I will send this page to him and advise him to sign into the web Site .

Scott's wife Mary's parents live in Hawick ,Scotland and we usually stay with them on our visits there.

This message was just to touch base with you but has developed into a copy of Gone with the wind so

Thats all for now

Tom29216

Tom.

Guest Scott Waterfall
I know that this is a while ago, but I too am related to the Lt Vincent Waterfall.

The Waterfall family, does in fact have a fair bit of information about him. My mother has a copy of the letter from the priest who found and hid the bodies from the germans.

More personally, he was quite a socalite. Excelled in many sports and was quite highly regarded.

What else was it that you wanted to know?

Diana

Like his brothers he was privately educated, and was upper middle class. The fact that his CO thought highly of him is not surprising. He was by all accounts very out going, and very sporty. The picture of him on the Belguim site, shows him with is Rugby scarf on.

His death was used as proof by Junior German officers to Senior German officers that the British were using Aircraft as Recon. The german reply was to use aircraft to stop the British using aircraft for recon.

So be can Aerial warfare.

Scott

Like his brothers he was privately educated, and was upper middle class. The fact that his CO thought highly of him is not surprising. He was by all accounts very out going, and very sporty. The picture of him on the Belguim site, shows him with is Rugby scarf on.

His death was used as proof by Junior German officers to Senior German officers that the British were using Aircraft as Recon. The german reply was to use aircraft to stop the British using aircraft for recon.

So be can Aerial warfare.

Scott

Obviously, the Clan Waterfall is gathering. I too have been researching my Great-Uncle's death for many years and had already verified the fact that Vincent was the first British aviator KIA, after following up a claim from my grandmother, Vincent's sister-in-law, who described him as a much-loved member of the family.

I have certain documents, and artefacts including a pair of his wings and a small framed photograph of him in mufti. Coincidentally, my father's half-brother, Robert Waterfall, resident in Brittany, had contacted him with certain other papers and family genealogy, which have just been sent on to me, and no doubt, collating these items with mine may supply additional background information, when I have the time to deal with it.

Obviously, the Clan Waterfall is gathering.

Indeed, greetings Waterfall Clan. I am the grandaughter of Vincent John Waterfall born in Victoria, Australia.

Out of interest, how far back is the earliest recorded ancestor? I have not gone into this deeply, but the Wirksworth parish records have references to Waterfalls going as far back as the 1600s.

Diana

Hello Diana,

I apologise for the delay in answering your message.it was due to my travelling

to visit family in South Australia and Victoria followed by some Sick Bay time ,

however all is well now.

I am pleased to hear from a Waterfall from the UK and am sure my

Brother--in-Law,Scott will be also.

He naturally has more knowledge on the family than me as I only joined them

50 years.ago when I married his Sister.

So I will send this page to him and advise him to sign into the web Site .

Scott's wife Mary's parents live in Hawick ,Scotland and we usually stay with them on our visits there.

This message was just to touch base with you but has developed into a copy of Gone with the wind so

Thats all for now

Tom29216

Tom.

Hi tom,

Thanks for that, i have contacted Scott via email but i'm a Melbournite, not nearly as exotic :) Robert Waterfall is probably the best UK contact, I do not know him but my mother used to write to his father. He has his gedcom on ancestory.com (I've sent the link to Scott and it has his email there) if you are interested. Mum will be happy that we've all touched bases.

cheers,

Diana