Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Potts V.C.

Sgt_Hazell_Great_Grandson

Hullo. :)

Each morning this week on BBC Radio Berkshire i have been doing a radio blog.

I have covered subjects such as , cricket , hedgehogs , cyclists not having lights and this morning my subject was Frederick Potts V.C who won his award in 1915.

He was born and raised in Reading and is buried a mile from my home.

I was wondering if any pal had any more information on this hero.

I have all the basic info you can find on a google search but would be most interested on any additional war service and census information especially where he lived.

Thanks !

Roland. :)

His birth was registered in the March quarter of 1893 in Reading.

On the 1901 census, the family are living at 54 Edge Hill Street, St Giles, Berkshire.

He was the son of Thomas Potts, a biscuit and breadmaker, aged 49 in 1901. I can’t quite make out his mother’s name, but she was 44 and he also had a younger sister Nellie, aged 5.

The whole family are shown to be born in Berkshire.

His mother's name is transcribed as Thomas!

I think it will be Thurza (nee Owen) as a Thomas Potts was probably married in March Qtr 1892 in Wallingford, Berks to said lady. The other woman on the same page of the marriage register is Katie Josephine Wray.

Steve.

Guest wrinklyone

And , if you haven't seen it, look for 'The Berkshire Yeomanry - 200 Years of Yeoman Service' ISBN 0 7509 0754 1, published by Alan Sutton in 1994. It includes two pics of Pte Potts.

Thanks alot guys.

Edgehill street is still in Reading in a part that used to be called St Giles so will check it out on Sunday.

Thanks for all the help.

Kind regards,

Roland. :)

• Admin

Hi Roland

IIRC, the Thames Valley branch of the WFA were involved in something to do with Frederick Potts, isn't he buried in Cemetery Junction? It may be worth you contacting them.

All best wishes, Michelle :blink:

Hi Roland

IIRC, the Thames Valley branch of the WFA were involved in something to do with Frederick Potts, isn't he buried in Cemetery Junction? It may be worth you contacting them.

All best wishes, Michelle :blink:

Hi Michelle.

He is buried at Reading Crem , Allhallows Road , off Henley Road.

I am going to have a look on Sunday.Nobody in Reading seems to know about him , shame really.

Will contact WFA.

Cheers , Roland.

• Admin

I was there 2 weeks ago, my Mum is buried there. Where abouts is he buried?

I was there 2 weeks ago, my Mum is buried there. Where abouts is he buried?

Not sure but on the V.C. website where it lists all the burial sites thats what it says. There is a military section at the crem, on the right i am told , so i guess he is there ?

Roland.

Guest wrinklyone
Hi Roland

IIRC, the Thames Valley branch of the WFA were involved in something to do with Frederick Potts, isn't he buried in Cemetery Junction?

No, Michelle, the man buried at Cemetery Junction, whose grave was recently restored by TV WFA was Trooper J W Odell, also of Berks Yeomanry.

Which reminds me that, of course, Berks Yeomanry has a small museum at their erstwhile Drill Hall in Bolton Road, Windsor, SL4 3JG. Open by appointment only. I say erstwhile because its now a Royal Signals TA unit - or at least it was the last time I visited. Probably been reorganised three times since then. The book I mentioned previously was written by four serving members.

Anyroadup, Potts is well commemorated there and I'm sure they will be able to give any info needed. Sorry, I should have remembered this before. Anno domini rules, I fear.

• Admin

Thanks Wrinklyone, Anno Domini for me too! Got a bit more info from my Pa, an erstwhile TV WFA branch attendee, Potts apparently lived in Coley post war. There is a plaque to him at the Henley Rd Crematorium. I have seen somewhere a pic of Potts outside a house wearing his VC. The house reminded me of where my Great Nan lived in Francis Street.

. There is a plaque to him at the Henley Rd Crematorium. I have seen somewhere a pic of

Cheers guys ..and Gals ! :)

I drive past Henley Road crem on my way home so will have a quick look tonight.

Roland.