Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries

joan bourgeois

Hi Everyone,

I contacted the N.A. re: the War Diaries for the Royal Irish Rifles.

I asked if I could have the last 2 weeks of December, 1914.

I also asked for a copy of the Service Record, and Will of my GFather, if available.

I was advised to send 3.50, for each, =10.50, which I did.

To-day I received a letter from them advising, my request for the War Diaries would cost 22.50, plus 17.88 postage!!!, and no mention of my other 2 requests!

Is this right??

What did my 10.50 cover?

Joan

Joan,

Try contacting the Regimental Museum, they may well let you have the diary extract for free.

Roy

Joan

My understanding is that the £10.50 covered the cost of them looking at the documents and providing you with the estimate of cost. If I recall from when I last ordered something (ages back), the £10.50 would be deducted if you order the items.

The cost will be at the NA's normal copying charge (see their website). You need to contact them about your other two items - very possibly they havnt been able to find them , but they should have told you this.

Roy's idea re the diary is a good 'un

John

Hello

They do charge for just looking but if it wasnt made clear, and If you feel you have paid your money and not got what you expected I would go back to them

Ian

Joan

My understanding is that the £10.50 covered the cost of them looking at the documents and providing you with the estimate of cost. If I recall from when I last ordered something (ages back), the £10.50 would be deducted if you order the items.

The cost will be at the NA's normal copying charge (see their website). You need to contact them about your other two items - very possibly they havnt been able to find them , but they should have told you this.

Roy's idea re the diary is a good 'un

John

Hi John,

I did contact them about the other 2 items, but I have not heard from them.

I am going to follow-up on Roy's idea.

Many thanks

Joan

Hello

They do charge for just looking but if it wasnt made clear, and If you feel you have paid your money and not got what you expected I would go back to them

Ian

Hi Ian,

I did contact them, but have not heard back from them.

Many thanks for answering my email.

Joan

hello

I must admit that when I had cause for a query they never answered my emails

You could try calling them

Ian

Joan,

22.50 would be about 45 pages - that strikes me as a huge amount for two weeks in 1914. Did you request simple black and white copies?

I have had a less than satisfactory experience in dealing with the NA by email, and had to give up in the end. I live in Dublin and was not prepared to spend a fortune phoning either, although I am at least in the right time zone.

Maybe some kind forum member in London could phone for you?

You can possibly obtain the will from the Probate Registry in York (www.courtservice.gov.uk); their fee is only £5 and that covers a search of 4 or 5 years after your specified date.

Justin

Hi Justin,

I did not know about the Probate Registry in York, what if an Overseas Will was made?

Would I go through this same Service?

Thanks

Joan

For your information the War Diary for The Royal Irish Rifles, 1st Bn. (WO95/1730) 13 Dec. 1914 - 1 Jan. 1915 will be copied onto 14 (A3) pages, the 2nd Bn. (WO95/1415) 10-31 Dec. 1914, not so detailed will only cover 2 (A3) pages.

Ray Westlake's excellent book 'British Battalions in France and Belgium 1914' (this book covers the 143 infantry battalions which served in France in that year) will give you a summary of the day-to-day movements, 1st Bn. Dec. page 298, 2nd Bn Dec. page 301.

For your information the War Diary for The Royal Irish Rifles, 1st Bn. (WO95/1730) 13 Dec. 1914 - 1 Jan. 1915 will be copied onto 14 (A3) pages, the 2nd Bn. (WO95/1415) 10-31 Dec. 1914, not so detailed will only cover 2 (A3) pages.

Ray Westlake's excellent book 'British Battalions in France and Belgium 1914' (this book covers the 143 infantry battalions which served in France in that year) will give you a summary of the day-to-day movements, 1st Bn. Dec. page 298, 2nd Bn Dec. page 301.

Hello,

Thank you very much for the above information.

I shall again contact N.A.

Joan