Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting medal card

Guest Fenman

Having got the medal card for my grandfather, John Carver Pte of E Yorks Regiment, no 39876, the only information it contains is a page number against the Victory Star and British Star. The page number is 1303.

Can anyone tell me what further info I can glean from this snippet (if any)? I am still trying to find out which battalion he served with and from that, I hope to find out whereabouts he served. All I have to go on is that an elderly relative saw a picture of him in army uniform in what he thought were desert fatigues. My late father didn't talk about his own war service, let alone that of his father.

Grateful for any help as I venture into uncharted waters.

Having got the medal card for my grandfather, John Carver Pte of E Yorks Regiment, no 39876, the only information it contains is a page number against the Victory Star and British Star. The page number is 1303.

Can anyone tell me what further info I can glean from this snippet

This is the page number for the actual Medal Roll Page,which you would need if you wished to accquire said Page copy from the NA {Not Online though unfortunately}Sometimes the Battalion Number is given on the Star Roll page.

As you now have his Service Number you can also see if his Service Papers Survive @ the National Archive,if yours among the lucky ones whose papers are extant then your questions will be answered!