Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Making "Enamel" go away

DrB

I recently bought a nice, heavy RM helmet plate for OR's

Now, the problem is that some tinkerer has enameled, in dark blue, the background of the circlet in the center of the plate, attempting to make it appear as if it is an officers badge.

Well, the globe, in the center, is still gilt, not silver and the plate has a circle for OR's rather than a strap for officers. And I still have blue enamel behind the "PER MARE PER TERRAM" Latin inscription on the plate.

Any suggestions from the experts out there on how to dissolve the enamel or otherwise make it go away?

Thanks in advance.

DrB

:unsure:

Just a suggestion.................... :o

If it is hot enamel,there will be little you could do,apart from heat it to a very high temperature & hope it falls out,or resort to chipping it out,as it is Glass,trouble is I expect that the Background will have been abraded to ensure a keen adhesion so may not be as was?might be easier to sell on & look for a better one,that hasn't been "treated"

Subtlety is your middle name.

No..Andrew! :D

Giles, et al....it isn't enamel paint. I have already, without success, tried paint remover. The enamel is still there, daring me to do something else.

I suppose the next thing is immersing it in boiling water. That should be interesting.

I will let you know the results.

If this is not recommended, please inform me.

DrB

:blink: