Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CAP BADGE

j.r.f

PALS

I have just aquired the family badge box.There are dozens of goodies.There is one that has me stumped.It consists of two crossed machine guns in brass and beneath ,spaning from butt to butt of the machine guns,are the letters,capitals,M M G,.This is in a silvery coloured metal.

Was therer such a corps as the Mounted Machine Gunners,or am I barking up the wrong tree and there is a different answer??

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Motor Machine Gun Corps, get you the K&K reference later. Are you 100% positive that this is an original badge? If you are please post a good pic as there is a lot of controversy over how the MMG scoll is fixed. Thanks John :)

PALS

I have just aquired the family badge box.There are dozens of goodies.There is one that has me stumped.It consists of two crossed machine guns in brass and beneath ,spaning from butt to butt of the machine guns,are the letters,capitals,M M G,.This is in a silvery coloured metal.

Was therer such a corps as the Mounted Machine Gunners,or am I barking up the wrong tree and there is a different answer??

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

JIM

I cannot be sure that my badge is 100% genuine,but is is likely to be.This collection of badges has been in my imediate family as long as I can remember,I am 63,with the exeption of ROYAL MARINES badges which were put in by my dad.I donot know when copies were started to be made??I would suggest that ,if it were a copy it would have to have been made between the two wars.

So what you really want to know is how the lettering is attached.The two machine guns are crossed with their muzzels uppermost.The letters MMG are sradled in an arc between the breaches of the two guns.The top of the M,left hand side,sort of fits into a slot of the breach and then soldered.The same is true og the G.The top right hand side of it being slotted in and soldered.

I have just looked at this with a glass and it is posible that there are no soldering atall but that it is pushed into place by the brass of the guns.

Tomorrow I will get no.1 son to show me how to scan this and I will place on this thread for you to look at.

CHEERS.

JOHN :D