Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which regiment did Grandad serve in?

GREENDORRIE

I have found my Grandad's WW1 medal card on the web.

He was a private with 7th Bn York R and went to France 13.07.15.

I have looked at various sites to try to identify which regiment he was with,

but I haven't found an exact match to the above. I am new to researching

the army and would appreciate some help.

I think the fact that you have his battalion no. is good. I'll give you a hand looking around the web for experts of the Yorks. Have you visited the battalions website and emailed them? Its the best place to start. The thing you should be looking for is his company no. and platoon no. You'll find these out really easy if he died. Its harder if he survived.

Good luck

Joe

LIke a pack of wolves round here! :o

Don't worry Greendorrie. Everyone is just eager to help.

You can follow his War by follwoing the Division links on the link that has been provided...

Steve.

but I haven't found an exact match to the above. 

Were you possibly misled by the fact that the full title of the Yorkshire Regt was Alexandra, Princess of Wales` Own (Yorkshire Regt), but usually known as the Green Howards? Phil B

but I haven't found an exact match to the above.  I am new to researching

but I haven't found an exact match to the above.  I am new to researching

Thank you for your help Joe.

I know his number from the medal card.

I think the fact that you have his battalion no. is good. I'll give you a hand looking around the web for experts of the Yorks. Have you visited the battalions website and emailed them? Its the best place to start. The thing you should be looking for is his company no. and platoon no. You'll find these out really easy if he died. Its harder if he survived.

Good luck

Joe

Thank you for your help Joe.

I have his number from the medal card.

Luckily he survived the war, otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Have you looked at (click here -->) The Long, Long Trail - for Genealogists that’s a great guide to help your research, follow all the links and you'll know more than many who have been researching for years.

Even if you can’t find his service papers, the Medal Index Card that you have found is the index to the medal rolls, which give a little more information as to the battalions (bn) he served in, these are not online: they are at the National Archives at Kew. It is very rare to find out a man’s company in a line regiment and most of the time knowing the bn is enough. Men often remained in the same bn throughout the war, but in 1918 there was a major reorganisation of the army and the bn you’re interested in were disbanded, so he served with at least one other for the final year.

Some time at Kew (either by you or someone working for you) is going to be important in your research however, it is a daunting place so prepare – even though its out of date Jane Cox’s ‘New to Kew’ may help to do that. I’d advise against contacting the museum until you have a lot more to go on, as they hold few personal details and are over worked and understaffed.

If you known where he was living prior to enlistment he may well be recorded on the Absent Voters Lists for the town/city. The local libraries may well have a copy on microfilm. ( See other threads on the WFA site for an explanation of the AVL ). I found not only my grandfather's battalion but his company as well as. Leeds city council have an excellent web site showing their absent voters list. Don't give up! The info is out there somewhere.

Have you looked at (click here -->) The Long, Long Trail - for Genealogists that’s a great guide to help your research, follow all the links and you'll know more than many who have been researching for years.

Even if you can’t find his service papers, the Medal Index Card that you have found is the index to the medal rolls, which give a little more information as to the battalions (bn) he served in, these are not online: they are at the National Archives at Kew. It is very rare to find out a man’s company in a line regiment and most of the time knowing the bn is enough.  Men often remained in the same bn throughout the war, but in 1918 there was a major reorganisation of the army and the bn you’re interested in were disbanded, so he served with at least one other for the final year.

Some time at Kew (either by you or someone working for you) is going to be important in your research however, it is a daunting place so prepare – even though its out of date Jane Cox’s ‘New to Kew’ may help to do that. I’d advise against contacting the museum until you have a lot more to go on, as they hold few personal details and are over worked and understaffed.

Thank you for your help, I've looked at the link and I'll think about your advice regarding Kew.

If you known where he was living prior to enlistment he may well be recorded on the Absent Voters Lists for the town/city. The local libraries may well have a copy on microfilm. ( See other threads on the WFA site for an explanation of the AVL ).  I found not only my grandfather's battalion but his company as well as. Leeds city council have an excellent web site showing their absent voters list. Don't give up! The info is out there somewhere.

I like your suggestion. I tried the Leeds City Council web site, only to find out that the district he lived in wasn't part of Leeds at that time, although it is now! I may have found some of his brothers and cousins though. I am grateful for your help.