Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The 2nd Royal Irish Rifles In The Great War"

Old Chap

Anyone with a passion for the Irish Rifles or for that matter the great war, should purchase this superb follow up to the book James had written on the 1st battalion. The book follows the 2nd Irish Rifles from 1914 until 1918. Complete with Officer casualties, other rank casualties, gallantry medal roll, court martials, maps and black and white photographs. A fine publication remembering a fine battalion.

Written by James W.Taylor and published through Four Courts Press.

Regards,

Bill

Has this actually been published then? I knew it was due out soon, but looked for it in a bookshop the other day and couldn't see it.

Swizz

Aye, it is a little expensive, but well worth the pennies. A lot of time,research and money must have gone into completing the book. To me it's definitely money well spent on a very good read.

Regards,

Bill

Yes I agree - the book on the 1st battalion is very good. It just seems like a bit of a rip off on somebody's part to have the price the same in both sterling and euros!

Swizz

In understand that the official 'launch' of the book is either about to take place or HAS taken place in Belfast. Agree about the Euros!

James W. Taylor is also a member of this forum .... JimmyTaylor.

I look forward to seeing this book.

Cheers

Des

Jimmy was at the Arnhem anniversary last year on the same trip as myself and he told me some of the great anecdotes he has on the 2nd battalion over a few beers.

His book on the 1st was superb and this one promises to be even better

Jimmy was at the Arnhem anniversary last year on the same trip as myself and he told me some of the great anecdotes he has on the 2nd battalion over a few beers.

His book on the 1st was superb and this one promises to be even better

Take it from me it's an excellent read. Anyone interested in the Great War should have it on their book shelf.

Bill

A heads up on this ....

Just arrived in local Easons store. Priced at £20. Will be buying ... and I note a few familiar names in the acknowledgements!

Des

Thanks for all the praise. I can take it like a man! Your cheques are in the mail! Seriously though, I just wanted to say that I have no control over the prices set by the publisher.

................ Can't say I'm too impressed with it being priced at £30 and also 30 euros though.... Might have to head south for my copy!

Ref this question of book costs - it is quite normal in the book trade for authors to have available to them the facility to supply signed copies of their works direct to readers at advantageous prices. Maybe if there is some new work which catches your eye, and the author happens to be a member of this forum, then it may be an idea to PM him or her and see if such a deal was available ?

just a thought ......... regards - Tom

Is there anything about Lt. Richard Brereton Marriott Watson in the book ?

Myrtle

Myrtle - he is mentioned on pages 92 (Messines), 119 (St Quentin), 180 (the trial of Rifleman McBride), and then a short bio on page 279.

regards - Tom

Myrtle - he is mentioned on pages 92 (Messines), 119 (St Quentin), 180 (the trial of Rifleman McBride), and then a short bio on page 279.

regards - Tom

Thank you Tom :)

How long before the book appears in the library ?

Regards

Myrtle

Regards

Myrtle

Myrtle - havent a clue - but if your local libray's buying policy is anything like mine then the answer is probably never, unless somebody makes a mistake with an ISBN number on an order form. .......................... No s*x you see, and nowhere near enough pictures ......... doesnt have love or romance in the title - and I've spotted at least one word with thirteen letters in it, so all in all its simply too complicated ........................... Seriously though, I dont know.

nb - there is a photo of RB Marriott-Watson in the book - plate #9. He's an, er, interesting looking chap, - looks slightly displeased about something !

regards - Tom

Regards

Myrtle

nb - there is a photo of RB Marriott-Watson in the book - plate #9. He's an, er, interesting looking chap, - looks slightly displeased about something !

regards - Tom

Sounds like the same photo that's on "Silent Cities" site. He doesn't look like a Poet does he !

Regards

Myrtle

Sounds like the same photo that's on "Silent Cities" site. He doesn't look like a Poet does he !

Regards

Myrtle

Myrtle - not the same photo, but (obviously !) very similar, - he looks rather like one might imagine a slightly confused Glesga Keelie who is struggling to decide whether he should hit himself, or someone else. Dont ask me to explain why that came to mind - but I think if you'd met one (a confused Keelie) you'd understand !

regards - Tom

Myrtle - not the same photo, but (obviously !) very similar, - he looks rather like one might imagine a slightly confused Glesga Keelie who is struggling to decide whether he should hit himself, or someone else. Dont ask me to explain why that came to mind - but I think if you'd met one (a confused Keelie) you'd understand !

regards - Tom

Tom

I will just have to see this photograph. I am envisaging a bit of bookshop loitering in the future. A Glesga Keelie lookalike ! It does sound similar to the Silent Cities photograph. Maybe he was confused about his "Kismet".

Regards

Myrtle

• 2 weeks later...