Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench maps extracts

CROONAERT

Just thought I'd take complete mercenary advantage of this new section to do a spot of blatant advertising!!!! :P (I don't think I'm breaking any forum rules here in this instance - am I? :unsure: ).

For a website that presently shows around 100 (and growing) extracts from British 1;10,000 and 1:20,000 scale regular series trenchmaps from a large area of the British front 1915-18 (including the whole Somme front of July 1st 1916 from above Gommecourt to below La Boiselle), and has a little on the history of trench maps - CLICK HERE, or click on the link in my "signature".

Dave.

Dave,

Thanks for reminding us,

its ages since i looked on your site at the maps, or at the main site.

Must do that more often,

I have so many in my fav's that i can't remember what i have and don't have.

Mandy

Fantastic site, Dave and thanks for all your help iwth previous research. I'm sorry to be Captain Dumbo but I couldn't seem to find the July 1916 Somme maps you mention. I'm particualrly interested in the environs of La Boisselle church on 4th July 1916, where the great-grandfather of one of my pupils was killed leading a bombing party.

I'm sorry to be Captain Dumbo but I couldn't seem to find the July 1916 Somme maps you mention.

They're listed by the names of the villages at the extremeties of the scan ("Monchy au Bois - Gommecourt", "Gommecourt - Serre", "Beaumont Hamel - Authuille" and "Authuille - Becourt"). La Boiselle is on the "Authuille - Becourt" extract.

(none are actually dated July 1st, but they show the lines as they were on this date. No 1:10,000 or 1;20,000 map was produced for this date (though a "two date" map was produced showing the German front on 1st July and 27th July for some reason)).

Dave.