Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queens Labour Corps

Christina

Christina

I don't think there was such a regiment as the "Queens Labour Corps", I am certainly open to correction though.

Where did you get your info from?

Best regs

Andy

Christina & Chris,

Apart from the 13th, 14th & 15th(Labour)Bns, Queens(R.West Surrey)Regt, the Queens also administered no fewer than 30 Infantry Labour Companys, all of whom were badged as Queens Regt.

The companies were numbered from 1 - 30, their titles being 1st Infantry Labour Coy, Queens(R.W.S.)Regt and so on. On the formation of the Labour Corps all of these companies were transferred to the Labour Corps and redesignated 109th Labour Coy, Labour Corps through to the 138th Labour Coy,Labour Corps.

Their new Labour Corps regimental numbers i.a.w. Appendix 106 of Army Council Instruction 611 of 1917, were ranged as follows;-

93rd - 98th Labour Coy's,L.C. new numbers 55201 - 58800.

109th - 138th Labour Coy's,L.C. new numbers 64801 - 82800.

Regards,

Graham.

Andy,

That would be right, but you can determine what his present/previous unit is/was from the numbers that I have just posted, but he would have to be serving with a Queens unit that was transferred at the time. If his Labour Corps number falls between 1 - 186240 I can tell you what unit he served in.

Graham.

Hi everyone

The MIC I am looking at has two service numbers, the first is 51951, the second 75414. Harry J Tucker. He has been very elusive so I am still trying to ascertain if he is mine as he was know as Robert Tucker and born Harry James Tucker.

Regards

Christina

Christina,

Thanks for those two numbers and you'll be pleased to know that his new Labour Corps number fell into line with those I had listed.

75414 Pte H.J.Tucker was serving with 126th Labour Coy, Labour Corps(numbers 75001-75600), which had been redesignated from the 18th Infantry Labour Coy, Queens(R.W.S.)Regt.

126th Labour Coy, L.C. was serving as Army Troops, 2nd Army in November 1918. Although I'm not 100% certain, I believe that the 18th Infantry Labour Coy, Queens(R.W.S.)Regt were serving in France when they transferred across to the Labour Corps.

So 51951 Pte Harry J. Tucker was serving with the 18th Infantry Labour Coy, Queens(R.W.S.)Regt, which became 126th Labour Coy, Labour Corps in 1917 and he was renumbered 75414. Hope this helps you out a little.

Graham.

Thanks Graham, looks as though it's back to the drawing board for me, as my Harry was wounded before 1917 and lost a leg it doesn't look as though that one ties in. Many thanks for your help. It's exasperating when they're so elusive.

Regards

Christina :(