Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Hewson

Guest paulmartin77

Guest paulmartin77

I wonder if anyone can help me trace information about my Great Grandfather.

He died when my Nana was only about 3 (she thinks it was probably 1920-1923).

I have found other information about him from BMD (well.. more just BM as I don't have an exact date for his death) and from Census records. This is what I know so far.

He was born in Hull in 1970, was married twice, the second time to my Nana's mother in 1904 in Sculcoates, in Yorkshire. This is to Lucy Anne Purdon. With her he had 6 children born between 1905 - 1920.

My Nana vaughly remembers him having a full military Honors Funeral in York (Where the 6 children where born) but is unsure of the actual date.

I know the information is VERY patchy to actually try to grasp any information but I just thought someone may know something.

Regards,

Paul

Paul,

Have you looked at the PRO site for his medal card etc?

Steve

Guest paulmartin77

Steve,

I have and some do come up (I know he had no middle names so any with initials can be counted out). There are possible ones such as Yorkshire, York and Lancaster, KOYLI, East Riding etc, which come up, but no way of actually finding out if it's him. I live 350 miles from the NA Centre so can't just pop down to see if any cards have personal information on them and there are really too many cards to look at to ask someone to do this for me.

My Nana "thinks" he's buried in Fulford Cemetary in York, but I haven't found anywhere where I can find a list of burials for there.

If, as we think, he was in service until after 1921, then his papers are not released yet which makes this job just a bit harder. :(

Paul,

Have you looked at the PRO site for his medal card etc?

Steve

Paul,

This is a link to the listing of all those buried at the CWGC Cemetery at Fulford:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/cemetery_...=2000425&mode=1

The link to the cemetery reports does not list him as being buried within the CWGC site, that doesn't mean he's not there though.

There are Great War burials in the cemetery, could he have been buried under a different surname?

Also, if he was buried with full military honours have you tried any local newspapers etc to see if they have any records of burials such as that for that time?

Steve

He died when my Nana was only about 3 (she thinks it was probably 1920-1923).

With her he had 6 children born between 1905 - 1920.

My Nana vaguely remembers him having a full military Honours Funeral in York (Where the 6 children where born) but is unsure of the actual date.

Hi Paul,

Going by your grandmother's approximate year of birth or her brothers and sisters - all born between 1905-1920 - then if any were born during the war, or if you think that he may have still been serving about 1921, then I would expect his army details to be on one or more of his children's birth certificates.

What does your Nana's say on it? Can you get a look at birth certificates of any of her brothers and sisters?

Also, in England there were Absent Voters Lists compiled during 1918/19. If your great grandfather was abroad at the time he should be on the list for the York area.

Just a couple of suggestions that may provide a lead. As suggested by Steve, searching local newspapers can reap rich dividends.

Best of luck,

Stuart