Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Nelson 55th West Lancashire Regiment

Guest Pete Nelson

Guest Pete Nelson

I wonder if anyone can help me?

My Grandfather was awarded the Military Medal and I am trying to find the circumstances surrounding his award.

I have obtained copies of his Medal records which show

'Date of Gazette No 63' - I think this is 17th June 1919

I have searched the London Gazette site and I can find no record of an entry for him using either name, number or both. I have even widened the search to just his number during the 1914 -20 period - with no hits.

He was a member of 1/7th Liverpool Regiment 55th West Lancashire Regiment.

I have a typewritten note from Major General HS Jeudwine which reads.

"The name of 13388 Pte F Nelson 1/7th Liverpool R has been brought to my notice for Gallant Conduct on 18th October 1918 SE of Lille and a record has been made. " and it is dated 8/11/1918.

I have searched the Museum of Liverpool Life Kings Regiment WW1 Online database and it has him listed as L Coporal (his medal cards show him as Pte - is this usual?)

I have been in touch with Ken Lees who has given me an extract from the Battalion diary for the date of the 'Gallant Conduct' but that shows the movements and has no specific records.

It was Ken who advised me to post here.

So, can anyone help - or at least point me in the right direction? I would love to know the background to the medal that I have hanging in my dining room.

Many Thanks.

Peter Frederick Nelson

Here's his London Gazette entry.

The Gazette is dated 17th June 1919 but the LG Search uses the Published date of 13th June 1919.

13388 Pte. Nelson, F'., 7th Bn. (Liverpool).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

The search engine read an apostrophe into the search, and his initial is behind the surname. Frustrating things!

Best bet for MM actions now that the Battalion War Diary is not helping are local newpapers.

His Rank would have been Private. Lance Corporal was an appointment held by Privates before they were promoted to full Corporal. There were paid and unpaid Lance-Corporals.

Steve.

Pete,

I was very interested to read about the 55th Division Gallantry card issued to your Grandfather.

I have two; one to a L/Cpl in the 9th Liverpool Regiment and the other to Sgt in the 1/5th King's Own.

Can you post a photo of your card?

I also have an MM card to the 1/5th man and I assume that every recipient of the medal received one. The card shows the obverse and reverse of the medal, brief details of how the award was won and the date of the act.

I only know of two other 55th Gallantry cards that have survived, one is in the IWM North and the other in a private collection. I wonder how many have survived?

Regards,

Mark

Guest Pete Nelson
Pete,

I was very interested to read about the 55th Division Gallantry card issued to your Grandfather.

I have two; one to a L/Cpl in the 9th Liverpool Regiment and the other to  Sgt in the 1/5th King's Own.

Can you post a photo of your card?

I also have an MM card to the 1/5th man and I assume that every recipient of the medal received one.  The card shows the obverse and reverse of the medal, brief details of how the award was won and the date of the act.

I only know of two other 55th Gallantry cards that have survived, one is in  the IWM North and the other in a private collection.  I wonder how many have survived?

Regards,

Mark

Mark

I hope this works.

The picture is not very good as I have the medals and associated cards mounted behind glass.

I have never found the MM card that details the action - which is part of my quest.

If the attachment doesn't work then I will upload it to a web page.post-7946-1126042760.jpg

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for that. Yours is the latest dated card that I have seen and interestingly it is typed. All the others i have seen have been hand written.

I will photograph the two I have and post them for you to compare.

Mark

Guest Pete Nelson

Thanks to Steve and Mark for their replies.

I've managed to find the Gazette entry - I can see how infuriating that search engine can be.

I've sent a request for info to the Museum of Liverpool Life and I will try to see if the Liverpool Echo have any archive material.

Pete

Pete,

I don't know how close you are to Liverpool, but the Liverpool Record Office (above the library) have all of the old local newspapers on microfilm. I am told that their coverage of the Great War was very good and so might contain useful information if you have the time to go through it all.

Regards,

Ken

Guest Pete Nelson
Pete,

I don't know how close you are to Liverpool, but the Liverpool Record Office (above the library) have all of the old local newspapers on microfilm. I am told that their coverage of the Great War was very good and so might contain useful information if you have the time to go through it all.

Regards,

Ken

Ken

Thanks.

I work in Liverpool so I should be able to go there some time.

I presume you mean the Library in William Brown St?

Pete

Pete

If you go into the library (in William Brown Street), there's a connecting door through to the records office, whioch is where the fiche readers are located. All the old Echo films are behind the desk.

Guest Pete Nelson
Pete

If you go into the library (in William Brown Street), there's a connecting door through to the records office, whioch is where the fiche readers are located. All the old Echo films are behind the desk.

Thanks Steve

I'll go and have a look

Pete

At last I've managed to photograph one of the 55th Division cards as promised. Sgt Roy received an MM in addition to the card, although I believe receipt of a card did not necessarily guarantee an award.

Mark

post-213-1126625943.jpg