Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorkshire Regiment 2nd Leeds

Ian long

Hello everyone,

I am a new member that is researching my Grandfather - Private Alfred Long. I have several original documents and the army form Z21 (transfer to the Reserve) states that he enlisted on the 31st December 1914 for "West Yorkshire Regt 2nd Leeds" and that he had the regtl no 8762.

Does anyone know if this means the Leeds Pals - everything that I have found about the Leeds PALS states that enlistment took place in Sept 1914.

I have also been unable to find him in the MIC. Although I have one of his medals - the Portugese Military Medal (note the mis-spelling) which was issued as a diploma rather than a decoration? on the 4th Jan 1922.

can anyone help me find exactly with which regt he served and any knowledge of the Portuguese military medal.

Could be the 7th or 8th Bn of the West Yorks? These were the "Leeds Rifles".

Dave.

Ian

could it read that he enlisted on the 31/12/1914 into the 2nd West Yorkshire battalion in Leeds.

His army number is not a Leeds Pals number as it would begin with a 15/ or a 17/.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards Kevin

Referring to 1915 the book "Leeds in the Great War" has this:

“January 13th, Journeyed to York in reference to the appointment of a Colonel for the Bantams (2nd) Battalion.”

Apparently the attempt to raise a bantam battalion was so successful that they immediately raised another one. The book also says:

“In December and the early part of 1915 the committee took an active part in promoting the formation of a “Bantams” Battalion.”

Tony.

The West Yorks had the following Leeds battalions:

1/7th (Territorial - the Leeds Rifles as suggested above)

1/8th (Territorial - also called the Leeds Rifles)

2/7th (second line Territorial)

2/8th (same)

15th (Service) Bn (1st Leeds)

17th (Service) Bn (2nd Leeds)

I would have though that the latter stands a chance of being the right unit. It merged into 15th Bn in December 1917 but otherwise men were enlisted/posted into it right up to then. Enlistment for pals units did not stop in 1914...

Hi Ian.

There is a Private Alfred Long, 8762, A.O.C (pris) listed in the Leeds Absent Voters list. Not sure about the pris bit though?

Regards, Chris.

Could be the 7th or 8th Bn of the West Yorks?  These were the "Leeds Rifles".

Dave.

Thanks for responding - from the other responses I have received the most plausible appears to be the 17th Bn, which was known as the 2nd Leeds Pals apparently and all were undersized for the regulars (Bantoms). this fits in with Grandad who was a bit on the short side. Funny he should be called Long?!??!

Ian :)

Hi Ian.

There is a Private Alfred Long, 8762, A.O.C (pris) listed in the Leeds Absent Voters list. Not sure about the pris bit though?

Regards, Chris.

Chris,

Thanks for looking him up. I had also viewed this information but was unsure what information it was proividing me other than he was registerred as a non voter?

Family members have said that he was a POW, and I do have a copy of the Kings letter he received on his return (which confirms this). I was also told that he was captured at the Somme, but no idea when or where he was held. Does the absent voters list provide any further information? What does the 'AOC' mean?

Thanks again everyone who has contributed.

Ian

Ian,

AOC = Army Ordnance Corps.

Chris,

AOC(pris) = Prisoner(POW)

Graham.

Are you sure it's not A.C.C - Army Cyclist Corps?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

Also, bear in mind that "captured on the Somme" could well be 1918 as much as 1916, if not more so.

Steve

Hello everyone,

I am a new member that is researching my Grandfather - Private Alfred Long.  I have several original documents and the army form Z21 (transfer to the Reserve) states that he enlisted on the 31st December 1914 for "West Yorkshire Regt 2nd Leeds" and that he had the regtl no 8762.

Does anyone know if this means the Leeds Pals - everything that I have found about the Leeds PALS states that enlistment took place in Sept 1914.

I have also been unable to find him in the MIC.  Although I have one of his medals - the Portugese Military Medal (note the mis-spelling) which was issued as a diploma rather than a decoration? on the 4th Jan 1922.

can anyone help me find exactly with which regt he served and any knowledge of the Portuguese military medal.

Hello everyone,

I am a new member that is researching my Grandfather - Private Alfred Long.  I have several original documents and the army form Z21 (transfer to the Reserve) states that he enlisted on the 31st December 1914 for "West Yorkshire Regt 2nd Leeds" and that he had the regtl no 8762.

I have also been unable to find him in the MIC.  Although I have one of his medals - the Portugese Military Medal (note the mis-spelling) which was issued as a diploma rather than a decoration? on the 4th Jan 1922.

Ian

Ian

I don't think this is either a 15th or 17th number. My wife's grandad enlisted in Leeds in Dec 1914 and was given the number 8549 and was placed in the 8th Battalion ( at that time sometimes referred to as the 2nd Leeds Rifles). I have some personal reminisences about them taking over and sharing trenches with the Portugese. The Leeds men despised them and called them the "Pork and Beans".

Charlie