Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

If a soldier died in North Russia

jemm

I have just found a story on Pte Thomas Connolly, who died in North Russia from septic poisoning in 1918 where would he have been buried ?

I have just found a story on Pte Thomas Connolly, who died in North Russia from septic poisoning in 1918 where would he have been buried ?

Is this him?

am i being dim or are there no pictures of the cemetery?

that's unusual isn't it?

All the war graves from both world wars were abandoned by CWGC as unmaintainable after the Soviets refused permission for them to work there. All the names were inscribed on a new memorial, the Brookwood (Russia) Memorial, near Woking, Surrey.

However, with the fall of the Soviet Union and the change in relations with Russia, this situation was happily reversed. CWGC were able to move back into Russia and the other ex-Soviet countries to maintain the graves once more.

Most of the graves were still in reasonable condition but some locations had been obliterated or were still unmaintainable. Some men whose graves had been lost were commemorated on the Archangel Memorial which is their official commemoration place. However, the records still show where the grave was located but, as it is no longer the official place of commemoration (and may not even exist), no photos are included. If any photo were to be included, it would be of the Archangel Memorial but pics are not included of every cemetery/memorial on the CWGC site.

The Brookwood (Russia) Memorial has largely become redundant as nearly all the men's commemorations have been returned to Russia although a few remain to be found and so are still recorded on this memorial.

Thanks Terry

sad that some were lost, but understandable

I notice that a few Canadians buried at TULGAS are also listed on the Archangel Memorial, in particular 42763 Cpl. S.B. Wareham and 313866 Dvr. W. Conville. Whether or not this means the remains were moved I do not know.

Yes thats him thanks ever so much.