Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How best to go about it?

Martyn Gibson

I'm off the NA next month and will hopefully be able to spend two days there. Having never been before what is the best way to go about fully utilising my time there.

I want to view the Medal Rolls for the 3rd Monmouthshire's and would also like to get some copies made from the Battalion War Diaries.

Do I need to pre book anything? Is there a charge for viewing material? Can copies be made of War Diaries? Do I need a laptop or digital camera and can you use them in there? What are the opening times? What tube do I need to get there?

Any little tips about the place would also be useful. Thanks

Regards

Martyn

Martyn,

One of the brilliant things about the National Archive (as compared to other archives) is that you are able to use a digital camera. You have to fill in a form when you arrive but once you hand that in, you are ready to go! I was consulting war diaries and some officer's files when I was there and found this the quickest way to get copies of the info I needed.

You can also use a laptop if you have one. If you need to know anything once you're there, I found the staff very helpful. I'm sure there are other forum members who can advise you much better than I can, but that's been my experience.

Good luck with your research!

Swizz

Hello Martin

It is best to pre register for your "readers ticket" because that saves time on arrival. You can also pre order material over the internet which will be ready for your arrival.

Have a nice trip

Andy

Hello

Best plan is to make a list and do as much prep before you go. ie get as many file references before hand so you can just order them whilst you are there

Details of opening times etc are on the website

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Many files can be downloaded and read rather than getting originals - just copy the web address and download onto your own pc for free when you get home -(within a week mind) also a good idea to just copy everything and read later - you will run out of time there...

Ian

I'm off the NA next month and will hopefully be able to spend two days there. Having never been before what is the best way to go about fully utilising my time there.

I want to view the Medal Rolls for the 3rd Monmouthshire's and would also like to get some copies made from the Battalion War Diaries.

Do I need to pre book anything? Is there a charge for viewing material? Can copies be made of War Diaries? Do I need a laptop or digital camera and can you use them in there? What are the opening times? What tube do I need to get there?

Any little tips about the place would also be useful. Thanks

Regards

Martyn

Pre-register as Max has said. DO NOT forget to take ID (a driver's licence will do) otherwise you can't complete the registration.

Tube wise.

I'm assuming Paddington from Wiltshire.

District Line South/West on a Richmond train. Change at Hammersmith if necessary. Get off a Kew Gardens.

Out of the station. Head into West Park Road which is offset very slightly to the right of the station, 1st left into Burlington Road to end, across Mortlake Road, and head up Ruskin Avenue which is almost opposite Burlington Road but offset to the left a bit. Big building with Public Record Office on it!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/w...e=ddmenu_visit5

Opening times:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/times.htm

The NA is closed on Saturdays when there is a Bank Holiday as well as the Bank Holiday Sunday and Monday.

You don't need to pre-book but wait is half-an-hour from ordering to documents into reading room (45 mins on Saturday) Medal Rolls and War Diaries need to be ordered at one of the computer terminals, but the help desk opposite the doors at the top of the stairs will help you out. You will need to have the WO reference numbers first. For the Medal Rolls you will need to get the references from the Microfilm room first.

Microfilm Room for Medals Rolls reference decoding. You need to turn the references on the MIC into a WO number. Just inside the Microfilm room are some very helpful leaflets, although you need to read the Medal Rolls one carefully! The Medals Rolls refs can be converted using a blue and a white folder on the table to the right of the doors.

Figure out the Medal Rolls WO reference(s), order on computer along with War Diary (if you didn't pre-order that) and wait.

While you wait you're in the right room for Service Records...

There is no charge for viewing material or taking digital photos.

Photocopies can be made of War Diaries and there are Printer microfilm scanners for Service Records, too. There is a small charge per sheet, which can soon add up!

Finally READ THE RULES. They are stricter than you would think.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/visit/p...e=ddmenu_visit1

e.g. No pens, no erasers, only pencils allowed.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Thank you very much to all of you for the information.

Kind regards

Martyn