Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Rifle Brigade

stiletto_33853

Have now completed this battalions war diary, if anyone needs look ups pleased to do so.

Andy

• 2 months later...

Andy,

Yes, it's me again. Any info as to the circumstances of this man's fate would be appreciated.

Name: AYLING, ALBERT HENRY

Initials: A H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Rifle Brigade

Unit Text: "C" Coy. 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 08/08/1915

Service No: S/7335

Additional information: Son of Anthony and Clara Ayling, of 1, Cornwall Cottages, Leonard Rd., Streatham, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: II. A. 39A.

Cemetery: ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

He is listed as DOW on SDGW, so their may be no real clues. There are only three casualties listed for the period 1-15th August 1915. But they did lose a 100+ men between 23-30th July, with 78 on the 30th alone, probably more as not all are on SDGW. So is about a week to tens day the right kind of time frame for a man to be evacuated? They must have thought he had a fighting chance of survival to move him from the CCS.

L/CPL Z/1, Harry Langley, DOW 3/8/15 buried LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Rifleman S/7335, Albert Harry AYLING, DOW 8/8/15

Rifleman 528, William Ernest THORNE, DOW 8/8/15 buried LES GONARDS CEMETERY, VERSAILLES

Both AYLING and THORNE appear to have been evacuated from the front only to succumb to wounds later.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Your man was wounded on the 30/7/15 when the 7th were called back to support the 8th who took the full force of the flamethrower attack on that day at Hooge.

post-1871-1131885649.jpg

the 7th were relieved by the 8th at 2 a.m. on the 30th and the battalion proceeded to the rest camp at Vlamertinghe, which it reached at 4 a.m. but after one hour received orders to be prepared to return to Ypres in support. At 5.30 a.m. orders were received to return to Ypres with as much small arm ammunition as possible. Battalion started at 7 a.m. and halted on the road between the Asylum and Kuisstraat till 11.30 a.m.

The Commanding Officer and Adjutant went to the 41st Brigade H.Q. in the Ramparts to receive orders. Ordered to march via Zillebeke to Zouave Wood and join up in support of the 8th Battalion R.B. in counter attack. The communication trench was very muddy and bad and the head of the Battalion reached Zouave Wood about 1.40 p.m.

At 2 p.m. bombardment by our artillery began, lasting three quarters of an hour, during which the Battalion formed up in thewood in rear of what remained of the 8th R.B. as follows: "C" Company in columns of platoons on the left side of communication trench called Old Bond Street; "B" Company in similar formation on right side of communication trench; "A" Company in similar formation behind "C"; "D" Company in similar formation behind "B" distance between platoons of about fifty yards.

Chris, I hope this helps, if you need more let me know as I have a lot concerning this action and it was a lot more than the 78 given by SDGW.

Andy

Sources

8th Rifle Brigade War Diary and Casualty returns

1918 Rifle Brigade Chronicles

Andy

Chris,

One of the officers on that day, "B" Company wrote that out of "B" and "C" Company there were only 70 left and that he was the only officer left and said to his wife in a letter that " I feel like an outcast to be alive "

Andy

Andy,

I don't think my brain was in gear, I should of course connected the 7th to the 8th's ordeals at the Hooge crater on 30th. About which you have educated me, and a good many other members I'd guess.

Once again, I'm indepted to you for so much detailed information, which befits the memory of these men.

With thanks,

Chris.

Chris,

Thanks,You are very welcome, glad that I can help you with some of the information that I have.

Andy

Andy,

I'm not sure if this is the thread to ask you this, but does you in depth knowledge of the RB extend to the 1st, 3rd , 4th, 12th, 13th and 23rd BNs. I have one casualty in each to find out about.

Regards,

Chris

Chris,

Ask away although the 23rd is not a well known unit. The seven battalions that were lumped under the Rifle Brigade banner as Territorials had very little to do with the Rifle Brigade if anything at all.

The 23rd (North Western) was formed at Halton by drafts principally from the men of the King's Liverpool, South Lancs and Manchester Regiments who previous to their transfer were guarding prisoners of war at the Knockaloe Camp in the Isle of Man.

It remained throughout under the command of Lieut-Col. T.E. Turnbull and sailed from Devonport on 12th January 1916 on the S.S. Euripides, proceeding to Karachi.

There is no battalion War Diary for this battalion although I do have bits and pieces from various Regimental Journals and a small amount from the Regimental side. They had so little to do with the RB that there is no record to show what steps, if any, were taken to associate them with the existing units of the Regiment. They were given a seperate pay and record office, and no single officer or man of the Rifle Brigade was appointed to them. They were however, authorised, in December 1915, to wear the Regimental Badge with the shoulder title "RB" surmounted by a "T". At the time, the Guards, The Kings Royal Rifle Corps and The Rifle Brigade were the only Regiments with no Territorials for they had no Territorial areas.

As for the 3rd, 4th, 12th and 13th ask away.

Andy

Andy.

Ok here is my list ( I do have some books in the pipeline, honest, but not on the RB :)

SAUNDERS, Frederick Charles, Rifleman 5/288 4th RB 20/06/1915 KIA HOUPLINES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

GODWIN, Alfred G, Rifleman S/9765 3rd RB 11/09/1915 DOW LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

COLE, Ernest Edward, Rifleman S/4135 13th RB 10/07/1916 KIA POZIERES BRITISH CEMETERY, OVILLERS-LA BOISSELLE

FIELD, Thomas, Rifleman O/65 13th RB 16/04/1918 DOW ETAPLES MILITARY CEMETERY

SOPP, Georg,e L/Cpl S/304 1st RB 22/04/1918 KIA LE VERTANNOY BRITISH CEMETERY, HINGES

HINES, Harry, Rifleman 46474 C Coy 3rd RB 25/05/1918 KIA MAROC BRITISH CEMETERY, GRENAY

WARD, John Thomas Alfred, Rifleman 46127 12th RB Formerly TR/13/54700 18th TR 17/06/1918 DOW AUBIGNY COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

MARTIN, FRederick, Rifleman 211803 23rd Formerly 11996 11th East Surrey 07/11/1918 DIED 3MADRAS 1914-1918 WAR MEMORIAL, CHENNAI

Some interesting(?) service numbers amongst them.

As always, thanks for your help.

Chris.

Chris,

Phew, well I did ask for it I suppose. :D

OK With regard to 211803, Rifleman F. Martin. This battalion was employed on internal security duties throughout its stay in India. First at Multan, where it was quartered in the Edwardes Barracks, then from the 22nd July 1918 at Bareilly in Clyde Barracks.

There was a fair few casualties due to illness in this Battalion and I would imagine Rifleman Martin was one of these deaths.

Andy

andy, i'm here to use yer and abuse again! :lol:

b/1976 rif. a . horton 7th rif. b. dow 3/10/15

any idea when he was wounded?

steve

Chris,

Phew, well I did ask for it I suppose.  :D

OK With regard to 211803, Rifleman F. Martin. This battalion was employed on internal security duties throughout its stay in India. First at Multan, where it was quartered in the Edwardes Barracks, then from the 22nd July 1918 at Bareilly in Clyde Barracks.

There was a fair few casualties due to illness in this Battalion and I would imagine Rifleman Martin was one of these deaths.

Andy

Hope I'm not overloading you.. As to MARTIN I thought this was not a battle related death. A long way to go to get sick...

With thanks,

Chris.

Steve,

Horton was in C Company and was wounded by a shell on 29th September. If you need a larger image of this let me know. Go on then use me, abuse me :D

Andy

post-1871-1131916024.jpg

Hi Chris,

No you are not overloading me, it will just take a little while to dig through everything, but, as I know what you need this information for it is not a problem.

Andy

thankyou andrew the image is smashing super great!

steve

Steve,

Hope it helps you a little.

Andy

Chris,

Regarding your mann SOPP, George, 1st Battalion # S-4135, KIA 22/4/18, there is no mention of him in any records that I have, however, this is the Regimental account of the action of the 22nd April.

On the afternoon of the 21st it had been possible to study the ground from a concealed position near Pont l'Hinges when it appeared that the enemy was not holding these houses; this, fortunately, proved to be the case. The bridge had been partially destroyed but the R.E. managed to fix duck-boards across the gap in the middle so that one man could cross at a time. Half of "C" Company crossed by this means and half ferried themselves across in two derelict barges which the Germans had used in an attack some days earlier. The night was dark and quiet but the enemy clearly was unsuspicious.

The following is Colonel Fellowes account of the action:-

Pacaut Wood, 22nd April

"On April 22nd we took part in a most successful attack with the Hampshires on our left which resulted in the capture of the southern portion of Pacaut Wood and the advance of our line up to La Pannerie. "C" Company and the two platoons of "B" Company did splendidly, capturing over sixty prisoners and several machine guns.

At 5.18 a.m. the advance began. "C" Company very quickly reached its objective, capturing a row of houses along the Hinges-La Pannerie road for about five hundred yards. These it occupied, but later on, owing to very heavy shelling, had to leave them and dig in in front of them behind hedges, consolidating a strong position facing east and north-east and forming a defensive flank back to the canal. In the meatime "B" Company, following behind the right hand column of the Hampshires that worked along the right of the wood, passed around the outside of the wood and, on reaching the Riez du Vinage - La Pannerie road, turning right handed, quickly established a line of posts along and in front of the road joining up with the northern post of "C" Company and established an advance Lewis gun post in a farmhouse some two hundred yards in front.

Serjeants Woodall and Stroud of "B" Company, particularly distinguished themselves, the former capturing over thirty prisoners himself and taking entire charge when Adams was killed. Serjeant Stroud went on ahead of his platoon during the advance and dug out the Boches from camouflaged shell holes, forcing them to surrender.

Acting Corporals Dunbar and Dyde, both of "B" Company, did splendid work.

For these operations Serjeant Smith was awarded a bar to the Military Medal and Serjeants Metcalfe and Stroud, Acting Corporals French, Dunbar, Dyde and Roder with Riflemen Jemmett and Clements received the Military Medal.

For the rest of the day shell fire was intense, especially along the canal bank, causing many casualties, specially among two companies of the Somerset Light Infantry, who were attached for the day.

In fact the shelling continued to be severe until the Battalion was fnally relieved on April 26th and went back to Gonnehem.

Casualties had been:- Captain J.E. Trevor-Jones,M.C., Lieutenant L.H.Adams, 2nd Lieutenant H.C.V. Sharps and fourty other ranks killed.

Hope this helps a little.

Andy

Andy,

Many thanks for typing out this vivid account of events on the 22nd - Is the answer in that in that all too familiar phrase " shell fire was intense .... causing many

casualties"?

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

Looks like the casualty you are seeking could be in that oh so familiar phrase.

Andy

Chris,

With regard to Ernest Edward COLE, S-4135, 13th Battalion KIA 10/7/16, no individual record but this from the battalion war record.

3rd July 1916 moved to Humbercourt and on the 5th to Bresle.

On the 6th moved to Albert on the Ancre and was in reserve to 56th Infantry Brigade to which it was temporarily attached.

On the 7th took over trenches running across Albert - Bapaume road. It relieved on the 9th July the 8th Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment in front line trenches but on the 10th was ordered back to the support line as the congestion of troops in front was too great.

From 3.30 p.m. until 7.30 p.m. the Battalion was heavily bombarded and suffered three officers and sixty other ranks as casualties.

At 8.15 p.m. received orders to attack German front line at 8.45 p.m. The attack was commenced but the last companies had not gone 200 yards when a runner arrived to say the attack was cancelled. The Battalion returned to it's position having in this short space of time penetrated the enemy 3rd line and captured over 200 prisoners as well as killing and wounding many of the enemy. Our casualties were twenty officers and about 380 other ranks. Among the officers were the C.O., Adjutant, and all the company commanders.

On the 11th the Battalion was relieved and moved back to the original German 2nd line just beyond the crater.

On the 12th it moved back to Usna - Tara line and from the 15th to 19th was in trenches south east of La Boiselle.

Hope this helps a little.

Andy

Andy,

As always, many thanks for your help and all the information. Ernest Edward Cole, was one of three brothers killed int the Great War. The dates and places would have been etched on that family for ever.

Ernest Edward Cole died 10/07/1916

Herbert Charles Cole died 04/08/1917

Frank Harold Cole died 04/07/1918

Best Wishes,

Chris.