Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Tim Godden

My Grandad was with the 2nd Battalion for the last year of the war.

I have the War Diary from January to November 1918

William

Hi William

My Grandad John Heaney was wounded and captured in April 1918 after being transferred to the 2nd.I would love to see copies from this month,and would be willing to cover any costs this might involve

Cheers

Colin H

Hi Tim,

We spoke before. My grandfather, Sgt William Taylor Soutar, 18433, was in the 13th Bn, Royal Scots. Do you how I could get a copy of the 13th's war diary? I'm in the U.S. so it's not possible to copy it myself.

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

I was in Germany at the time I got my diary, so was in a similar situation. I got a researcher to copy for me, he did a fine job. If you would like his details PM me and I will let you know, plus the costs.

Cheers,

Tim

Guest ld004i4829

:unsure: HELLO TIM--RESEARCHING MY GRANDFATHER--Would be very greatful

if you could find any info--his name:-

JOHN DAVANNA -Royal Scots-private-15960-11th battalion

JOHN DAVANNA-LABOUR CORPS-PRIVATE-699732

MANY THANKS Michael ;)

Can't find any info on 9th May 1915 when the 1st Battalion Royal Scots had heavy fighting in Sanctuary Wood and got badly cut up.

(Great uncle William Monaghan Private 9918. 1st Battalion Royal Scots who died on 9th May 1915 at Sanctuary Wood)

Hi Jimmy,

I can't promise anything, but I do have a diary covering that action. I will see if it says anything.

All the best,

Tim

:unsure: HELLO TIM--RESEARCHING MY GRANDFATHER--Would be very greatful

if you could find any info--his name:-

JOHN DAVANNA -Royal Scots-private-15960-11th battalion

JOHN DAVANNA-LABOUR CORPS-PRIVATE-699732

MANY THANKS      Michael ;)

Hi Michael,

Have you tried the Public Records Office? You may be able to find out about some of his service there. As far as the diaries go I do not have the 11th battalion War Diary so I can't help you with that and the Regimental History does not go into that much detail. The only thing I could add is that he was more than likely an early recruit because he does seem to have a number that falls into the first batch given to the early recruits for the 11th, 12th and 13th battalions respectively.

I can help you with detailing a few actions but until you have a little more information about the soldier it may not be of any use.

PM me if you have any other information, I will have a look anyway but I do not expect to find much I'm afraid.

All the best,

Tim

John,

I have my scanner working, so here is the aforementioned Appendix 6...

post-2434-1123884194.jpg

John,

I will have to copy the maps and post them per snail mail as they are too big for my scanner!

Cheers,

Tim

Tim

Thanks for posting that extract. One of the men I am researching - Sgt George Anderson - was in the 13th and was kia on 23rd April. I will add it to my growing file and copy it for his nephew who still lives locally.

Many thanks

Evelyn

:)

15th  - 3/6/16, 1/7/16, 9/4/17

John,

I have just found a letter which may be of use to you from an Officer of the 15th written on 5th June 1916. It describes a stonking they got in the lines over the period from 30th May until they were moved out of the line. It does mention some OR names too, let me know the chaps name and I will see if there is anything.

Cheers,

Tim

Evelyn,

I think your man is mentioned a few weeks later for having one the MM.

Give me a few minutes and I'll have a look.

Cheers,

Tim

Guest ld004i4829
Hi Michael,

Have you tried the Public Records Office? You may be able to find out about some of his service there. As far as the diaries go I do not have the 11th battalion War Diary so I can't help you with that and the Regimental History does not go into that much detail. The only thing I could add is that he was more than likely an early recruit because he does seem to have a number that falls into the first batch given to the early recruits for the 11th, 12th and 13th battalions respectively.

I can help you with detailing a few actions but until you have a little more information about the soldier it may not be of any use.

PM me if you have any other information, I will have a look anyway but I do not expect to find much I'm afraid.

All the best,

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Tim,

Andy was kind enough to pull a copy of my grandfather's medal roll and send it to me. Would you like a copy or a list of those listed on the roll?

Jim

Can anyone help with the 1/10th Cyclists. I'm just studyng one officer from that battalion, (see my signature), who spent most of his time attached elsewhere. I have a good deal about the officer but very little background detail about his original battalion. Are there any published or unpublished diaries memoirs or histories that can help me. I am happy to share what I have about this man. Thanks Tim

Looking into 15th Bn at La Boisselle

Does any one know of a good reference decribing their actions, and the relationship with the 16th Bn?

Thanx in advance

• 2 weeks later...

hello,i have a privately type-written book called the "Journal of an Edinburgh Mountaineer" details one mans war from 1914 till he was wounded in the attack on HIGH WOOD plenty of good detail and many names {9th r.s.}

John,

I have just found a letter which may be of use to you from an Officer of the 15th written on 5th June 1916. It describes a stonking they got in the lines over the period from 30th May until they were moved out of the line. It does mention some OR names too, let me know the chaps name and I will see if there is anything.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim

many thanks for posting the report re 23/4/17 (and my apologies for the delay in in saying "thanks" - I must have missed it when I returned from hols).

My man KIA on 3 June was 17848, L/Sgt Keith Learmont Carruthers. His officer wrote to his parents "It is very hard for you but you must feel a fierce unquenchable pride that you gave freely all you could for your country's sake and, of this honour, nobody can rob you......He wasa man of worth, full of pluck. Always looking on the bright side of life and helping his men to do the same. He died immediately he was hit and suffered no pain"