Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots

Tim Godden

How many Pals are researching The Royal Scots, in any aspect, during The Great War? If you are, which battalion(s) are you researching?

It may be that others who are researching the regiment, or soldiers of the regiment, have the info you need. How about using this thread to keep in touch.

As you may or may not know my interest is in the 13th battalion and I am always looking out for information, photos, stories etc... to do with the battalion.

All the best,

Tim

Hi Tim

Not researching in any great detail,more a case of following both Grandfathers movements through the war.

Pte John Heaney 19798,16th R.S (see avatar)

Pte Robert Nicholson 2935,300923 1/7th R.S, just got a hold of a copy of his demob papers at the weekend which has him down as Lance Corporal and signallar (news to me).

I have a copy of "The History of the R.S" if anyone would like any look ups

Cheers

Colin H

Thanks Colin.

That is a good point that you mention.

I have, available for look-ups, the following books:

History of The Royal Scots 14-18

History of the 9th Division

History of the 52nd Lowland Division

War Diary of the 13th battalion, The Royal Scots, 1915-1918

SDGW The Royal Scots

DCM register to The Royal Scots

I have many other books and diarys to do with various battalions, it is probably best to PM or email me and ask!

All the best,

Tim

Tim, Colin,

I also have the RS History, 51st HD History, 15th Division History, 9th Division History, and Mileham's Scottish Regiments. I will also do look-ups if required.

I have some photos of the graves of some 8th Battalion men from Arras.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi Tim

Mainly:

1st: 1914 to October 1916

2nd: Battle of Arras only [April 1917]

7th: May 1915 to end of war

11th: May 1915 to March 1917

I have the war diaries for all the above for the dates I have been researching. Like the others, I have:

Major Ewing books on the Royals and the 9th Scottish Division

WD Crofts book on the 9th Division

Thomson's book on the 52nd Division

Royals Scots died in Great War

Officers died in Great war

Imperial War Musuem Trench Map CDs

McCrae's Battalion about the 16th RS

A few works such as 'Under the Devil's Eye' that mentions the RS in Salonika and also 'The Last Crusade' that briefly mentions the 7th RS in Palestine. On top of these are general works to do with WW1.

Happy to share with others for personal research.

LIT

Guest Jimmy Knacky

1st battalion Royal Scots from when they arrived in Ypres in January 1915 till they left for Salonika in November 1915.

First casualty 12/01/1915

Last casualty 21/10/1915

Can't find any info on 9th May 1915 when the 1st Battalion Royal Scots had heavy fighting in Sanctuary Wood and got badly cut up.

(Great uncle William Monaghan Private 9918. 1st Battalion Royal Scots who died on 9th May 1915 at Sanctuary Wood)

Like Colin I am not researching any particular Battalion.

I have two Uncles who were pre-War Territorial members of the 1/8th Battalion and lost their lives during the War.

I have personal memorabilia relating to their pre-War service i.e. Post Cards that they sent from Annual Camp plus a couple of photos taken in France.

I also have a short History of the 1/8th Battalion's service in France written for the local Newspaper shortly after the War.(Tim,already has a copy :D ).It gives a general overview of the Battalion's service so is not as detailed as the War Diaries.It does,however,list the names of the Men of the Battalion who received Honours, from V.C. to Mentioned in Dispatches.plus Foreign Honours e.g French and Belgium Croix de Guerre.

If anyone wants reprints of any photographs or a copy of the Booklet please e-mail me via the Forum.

George

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

It'S always interesting to hear about others researching in a similar vain. Hopefully I will be able to be of help to some of you in the future, as from my point of view some of you have already been a great help.

Cheers,

Tim

One thing I now do is photo any Royal Scot grave I come across( digital cameras are great!). I am slowly making a list! I also have contacts at the Museum.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm,

In the pre-digital days I took photos of my Uncle's Grave(John Souness in France) and his Brother(George S. Souness) on the Arras Memorial.I see you've been to Arras so may have digital photos of the relevant Bay on the Memorial but if I can find the negatives do you want a print of John's Grave?

Whilst I am writing. I am receiving mixed messages about how much documentation the Museum holds on the 8th Battalion.Some say very little but as I said on the post on the Book Thread (Forgotten Scottish Voices of the Great War) the Museum appears to have at least some cartoons drawn during the War of the Battalion.Without stretching your resources to far is the Museum's documentation on the 8th Battalion as sketchy as some suggest?

George

One thing I now do is photo any Royal Scot grave I come across( digital cameras are great!). I am slowly making a list! I also have contacts at the Museum.

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm

Here is another to add to your collection. William Hayton is buried in Newlands Old Churchyard, Peeblesshire. If you have any other info on him it would be much appreciated

Evelyn

post-6267-1123707056.jpg

and James was a 13th man, so this thread has helped me already.

Though I had to be quick! :D Thanks Malcolm

Cheers,

Tim

Tim,

I can send you any 13th Battalion men if you want.

Eve,

James is the only Hayton on the CD of the Tweedale Memorial which is strange as William is most definitely there!!

Aye

Malcolm

Malcolm,

That would be absolutely fantastic if you could.

I will PM you my email.

Cheers,

Tim

Eve,

James is the only Hayton on the CD of the Tweedale Memorial which is strange as William is most definitely there!!

Aye

Malcolm

Yes - a bit of a puzzle. Is the CD available to buy - it would be really useful.

Thanks

Evelyn :)

This forum never ceases to amaze me with the kindness of its members and the abilty of finding things that would not be found otherwise.

I would like to openly thank both Malcolm and stevem for their help and kindness.

Well done Pals, the forum is amazing.

Cheers,

Tim

My current research project in Stockport includes a number of Royal Scots who were KIA, as follows. Paul Byrne has kindly offered to look for relevent references to the days in the History for me

1st - 22/2/15

2nd - 22/7/16

4th - 27/9/18

9th - 24/8/16

11th - 1/10 - 4/10/18

12th - 25/4/18

13th - 23/4/17

15th - 3/6/16, 1/7/16, 9/4/17

Hi John,

Give me an hour so and I will post the dates from the 13th War Diary.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi John,

Here is the excerpt from the War Diary:

The Companies moved into the assembly trenches fort he assault and reported they were in position by 3.15 a.m. ‘B’ and ‘D’ Companies occupied assembly trenches at right angles to the line of advance, with ‘B’ Company on the right, ‘A’ Coy in support to ‘B’ Company, and ‘C’ Company in support to ‘D’ Coy. The 44th Brigade were on the right of the battalion, and the 29th Division, 88th Brigade on our left. Zero hour was 4.45 a.m. At this hour the Battalion which was formed up in six waves in the assembly trenches advanced as close as possible to the barrage. An account of the attack and results is attatched in Appendix no. 6. From this it appears that the enemy had been expecting the attack and had been holding his ground in force. The fact that the attack was in echelon gave opportunity for flanking fire from the enemy on our right, who had notyet come under the barrage. Many of our casualties were inflicted at close range by machine gun and rifle fire. The loss of Officers and N.C.O’s handicapped the re-organisation for continuing the advance. The casualties amongst Officers and N.C.O’s were exceptionally heavy. Shortly after the attack was launched, all the Company Officers and a very large proportion of N.C.O’s had become casualties. 2nd Lieut. J.K. OGILVIE, the Battalion Intelligence Officer went forward with two Observers at 8.50 a.m. to try and ascertain the exact situation and establish Headquarters further forward if possible. He returned with report at 10.5 a.m. 2nd Lieut. W. ARTHUR HENDERSON, with two Lewis Guns and teams, went forward to left of our line, and he subsequently established a post at 0.7.c.1/2.7. and collected what men were in vicinity. 2nd Lieut. OGILVIE went forward again at 11.5 a.m. on receipt of a report from a Newfoundland Officer, that he had several of our men under his command and re-organised them, and established them in DRAGOON LANE S. of CAMBRAI ROAD. The 46th Brigade passed through the 44th and 45th Brigades at 6 p.m. and were successful in gaining their objectives which was the line of the 1st objective originally assigned, except a small portion at CAVALRY FARM. 2nd Lieut. J.H. LOGAN arrived at Battalion Headquarters about 1 p.m. having been wired for when 2nd Lieut. A.A. FARQUHARSON was wounded.

I do have the mentioned Appendix 6 but it is too big for me to type up and I also have the diary of the 2nd Lieut. Ogilvie mentioned in the text. If you would like relevant copies of these let me know and I will either try and scan them or send you copies through the post.

Cheers,

Tim