Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Auction of a roll of honour Barnsley

John W

I have just discovered that the Roll of Honour from the Radical and Liberal Club in Barnsley is to be Auctioned on the 10th August

http://www.cwharrison.net/Information/Auct...5%20-%20Web.pdf

I suspect that this item will probably be unsold and then left to be demolished in the building, Not sure if there is anybody local to this on the forum, who might have some ideas about ways to save it for the future

JOhn

post-400-1123310292.jpg

John,

Have you tried the local Lanc's and Cheshire branch of the Western Front Ass. If not I'll pass the info on to some of the members I know up there,

Mandy

If anybody would like to go to the auction and bid on my behalf, I'll try my hand. I'm a tad too far away to attend myself. Please PM me if this is viable.

Paul

Have you tried the local Lanc's and Cheshire branch of the Western Front Ass. If not I'll pass the info on to some of the members I know up there,

Mandy

Barnsley isnt on our patch (effectively our area is North Cheshire, South Lancashire & Greater Manchester) - but there is a Yorkshire branch.

John

I have sent an e-mail to the Barnsley Archives and Local Studies Department of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, copied to the Council itself, asking if they can do anything to save this beautiful memorial.

I'll let you know if there is any response.

Michael

hi, folks.

thought it might be a good idea to update you all on the fate of this roll of honour.

it was purchased at the auction for £500 by a very good friend of mine who is a succesful barnsley businessman,

he is a avid collector of items that relate to barnsley men in w.w.1 with a paticular interest in the 13th & 14th service btns of the york&lancaster.regt (barnsley pals)

he intends to display the item in his home after it has been restored.

its not a small item its approx 7 foot X 4 foot and is constructed from oak and ceramic tiles.

he knows his ownership of this item is not an ideal solution but its better than it going overseas. wich was more than possible as he had to outbid an overseas telephone bidder to buy it.

its also worthy of note that barnsley council could of been the owners of the item as they have purchased the building. so no doubt had a look around before the present owner put the contents into auction. shame they were not interested

however its safe at the moment and in very good hands.

cheers

andrew

Andrew

Thanks for the update and please thank your friends for his efforts (and wallet). At 7X4 the memorial will be a real conversation piece.

Andy

well done that man.

Mandy

Well done to the man for stumping up for a piece of history that is irreplacable.

I was an overseas bidder on this item although the item would have stayed at my UK address. There must have been some hot local bidding as well though as I bowed out at the three hundred pound mark.

(I'm sure it would have looked nicer in my home in Essex - Grrrrr).

Paul

Pals

Good that it remains in the UK, but let's not forget the idea of these meorials is for them to be on general view, not in a private collection elsewhere.

Think ahead some years as to when the present holder passes on. What happens to it then? The family may not want it so it goes back up for sale? Even worse, it ends up being junked.....

Meantime nobody else gets to see it or know of its existence (family researchers for example).

Better that such memorials are put into permanent public care and remain on view.

Ian

It was purchased at the auction for £500 by a very good friend of mine who is a succesful barnsley businessman....

he knows his ownership of this item is not an ideal solution but its better than it going overseas.

Hi Andrew

How about suggesting to your friend that he donates the memorial to a local museum. As he is a successful businessman, I'm sure he won't mind spending £500 on what could turn out to be a good bit of PR. "Local businessman saves Roll of Honour....."

Evelyn

hi, all.

you must rember that the local coucil could of had it prior to the sale and had no interest.

local people also offered to buy it for the local coucil run archives and they didnt want it.

the purchaser is going to look after it. as he said its not ideal but its better than it going out of the locality.

cheers

andrew

Andrew,

Like I said, better it remains 'at home'.

Re local council - I do not know the exact circumstances, but if it was in a council owned building then the council had an obligation to ensure its safe keeping. Even if they 'did not want it'.

This is a very regular occurence. It needs a local with some personal drive to make the council do what it should.

Hence, if these items come up for sale or disposal, it is a good idea to alert the War Memorials Trust. They have regional volunteers who have experience of such matters.

Unfortunately some local authorities do not want to spend a penny on memorials if they can avoid it, whereas others are more than happy to do the right thing. The first line of defence is public awareness of their memorials. Usually local people are prepared to see the right thing is done, once they know of the risk.

Ian

My issue would not be with the buyer - he simply bought an object which was up for sale. Good luck to him.

HOWEVER I do find the actions of the Council totally disgraceful. I am quite sure there are spaces on the walls of Barnsley Town Hall/Civic Centre/Council offices etc where this memorial could have been acommodated.

I am flabbergasted that this obviously significant object was 'not wanted' by the Council. Was this 'fixed' to the wall? If so, surely it was part of the structure of the building and thus became council property on purchase?

Des

For myself I have no problem with an individual owning this, yes it would be nice if it was on public view. BUT anything is better than it being permantly lost.

JOhn

Pals

Has there been any interest from the Yorks and Lancs regimental museum. maybe they would loan it and display it.

Can't remember where the museum is now Rotherham/Sheffield. Got the following address of the 'net.

Central Library and Arts Centre, Walker Place, Rotherham, S65 1JH.

Best regards

Chris

I have sent an e-mail to the Barnsley Archives and Local Studies Department of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council, copied to the Council itself, asking if they can do anything to save this beautiful memorial.

I'll let you know if there is any response.

Here is the reply, received 18th August:

"Your email has been passed to me by our secretary. I'm sorry to say that no-one appraised the Family History Society committee about this in advance, and according to the Forum discussion you have listed, all contacts were with Barnsley Archive and Local Studies Service. They are a council run organisation with which we have no formal connection.

I am delighted to hear that the roll has been saved from destruction by your friend in Barnsley. If he would like to contact me, and thinks it appropriate, I would be happy to place a transcript of the names listed on the open area of our web pages, where public access viewing would be available.

Regards

Ian Townend

Chairman of Barnsley FHS"

I will pass on the e-mail address to the new owner of the memorial if he wants to do this.

Michael

Guest Ian Townend

Michael's note suggests that he intended his original email to go to Barnsley Archives & Local Studies Service. In fact, it appears to have been sent to us, possibly as a CC:

This email was the first we knew of the sale of the memorial, and my reply is on behalf of the Barnsley Family History Society, not the Archive and Local Studies Department, with which I have no connection, other than that of a user of their services. My offer regarding the display of the material on the web is made on behalf of the Barnsley FHS, which is entirely independent of Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council.

Regards

Ian Townend

Chairman of Barnsley Family History Society

www.barnsleyfhs.co.uk