Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Attached"

Hambo

I am researching an officer who is described as "Attached" to the 8th Battalion of the Black Watch when he was killed. Why were officers attached and not simply transferred? How temporary was the attachment and would they be attached soley to other battalions in their regiment or could they be loaned to another regiment entirely? How would I find out what his original unit was?

Sorry about all the questions but I'm sure someone'll know the answer

Many Thanks Hambo

I am researching an officer who is described as "Attached" to the 8th Battalion of the Black Watch when he was killed. Why were officers attached and not simply transferred? How temporary was the attachment and would they be attached soley to other battalions in their regiment or could they be loaned to another regiment entirely? How would I find out what his original unit was?

Sorry about all the questions but I'm sure someone'll know the answer

Many Thanks Hambo

An attachment was essentially temporary, though open ended. He could go back to his own Bn/Regt, whereas a transfer would be more permanent. He could go to another Bn of his regt or to a different regt. His original regt would be as in the Army List and on his badges. Phil B

Thanks Phil

Very helpful

All the nest Hambo

An "attached" soldier was also listed as still being on the strength of his "mother" unit. Think of him as being "on loan" (if he was a football player, this would be an exact description! :D ) to another unit.

Dave.

My great uncle was a US Army doctor "attached" to the BEF, 104th Field Ambulance, the to 121st Brigade, R.F.A. From what I have read, the British medical force needed more doctors in 1918, which is when he went to England.

Ann Kimzey

Attatchments are also for set periods of time to fill short falls.