Captain Alfred J (Taffy) Phelps 3rd Batt Royal Warwickshire Reg’t

Born Britain

CSR Rarawai

Chosen by Govt of Fiji for commission

Per Tofua to Sydney 23 January 1915

Arrived England early 1915

Commissioned 13 April 1915

POW at Baden Schweidnitz

Returned to Australia per Bremen 4 June 1919 (file at NAA)

Returned to Fiji per Atua from Sydney September 1919

received War Debentures from Tavua District Fiji Day Fund

Do you have any Cashmore's- my maiden name?

• 2 months later...

Just wondering if your database can help me out finding out which battalion my great grandad was in? A bit scant on details, but here goes.

My Great Grandfather was Sgt EA Evans and joined the Royal Warwickshire Regiment, at the age of 48 after giving a false age, in 1914. I don't have a regtimental number, but I do have a picture of him and his CSM in front of a tent with a sign between them which says:-

C.S.M. BOOT

Ord-Sergt EVANS

D Coy

He stayed in the regiment until after the war and was de-mobbed.

I would very much like some help in finding out any dates, which battalion he was in, where he served and when he was discharged, although, as I said, there's not too much to go on and Evans is quite a common name.

• 5 weeks later...

After being home for the holidays I mananged to take another look at the picture of Ord Sgt Evans and CSM Boot mentioned earlier in the thread.

On the back of the postcard, as well as the postal address, was written "Southminster 1916". On checking it seems that the 'Southminster' is near Burnham-on-crouch in Essex.

Has anyone any idea which battalion was in that part of the country in 1916?

Rob:

Would you have anything on Sgt. Frank William Grove, 16th Bn., KIA, France 1/1/16?

Thanks so much,

Chris

Frank William Grove was born in Shustoke near Coleshill, Warwickshire. He was a Sgt in B Company. They were in the line at C2 sector of trenches in front of Carnoy (Somme/Bray Front) when he was killed.

A couple of years ago a kind person at the Birmingham WFA, who lived Coleshill way, had been to the British Newspaper Library and had some photocopies taken from the Local Coleshill newspaper from 1916. Ond had information about the death of Sgt Grove, because I think he was a local school teacher. Any way because of my interest in the Birmingham Pals he gave me a copy of the obituary.

NOW... if I can find it... I am useless at storing paperwork, i will scan it and put it on this reply.

Otherwise it might be a trip to the British Newspaper Library. There are no Coleshill newspapers from WW1 in any archive in Birmingham.

Regards

Terry

p.s. why the interest in Grove?

Terry:

Thanks for the info--about dropped my Scotch in that you have so much personal knowledge regarding Grove! I have a photo-postcard of Grove, and apparently, you're the man who should see it. Shoot me an e-mail at chjorda@msn.com , and I will shoot you a scan in reply.

Chris

Hi Chris (and apologies to Rob for poking my nose in again!!)

I managed to locate the info on FW Grove. It is taken from the Coleshill Chronicle, Saturday 15 January, 1916. The photo with it was very poor so I cut it out.

Terry

post-2-1073482184.jpg

Hi Rob

Would you have any info on 28041 Pte William George Aldridge, 14th Bn.

In both SDGW and CWGC is date of death is recorded as 27th September 1918. He is commemorated on the family plot in Bishops Cleeve Cemetery, Glos, and his date of death is given as 28th September 1918.

I have a digital snap of him if you want it.

Regards

Hi Chris (and apologies to Rob for poking my nose in again!!)

I managed to locate the info on FW Grove. It is taken from the Coleshill Chronicle, Saturday 15 January, 1916. The photo with it was very poor  so I cut it out.

Terry

Mr Carter I noticed your reference to the Coleshill Chronicle and wondered if you could tell me where you accessed it? I recently tried Coleshill library but was informed that it had gone to Warwick county record office. They could not help saying it was probably 'in store' Best wishes

Terry:

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info. Sgt. Grove should be waiting for you in your In-Box.

Chris

Hi Mr RaggedStaff

All the copies of the Coleshill Chronicle for the war years seem to have gone AWOL. The only way to look at copies is at the British Newspaper Library. I am sure another Forum member could give more info on that place.

Regards

Terry

Hi Rob

I too have a database of around 83K numbers and 50K men who served with the Royal Berkshire Regiment - 354 of them also served with the Royal Warwickshires - are you interested? - I would need to send the list via e-mail

regards

John Chapman

Hi Rob

I too have a database of around 83K numbers and 50K men who served with the Royal Berkshire Regiment - 354 of them also served with the Royal Warwickshires - are you interested? - I would need to send the list via e-mail

regards

John Chapman

Thanx Mark

Info on John Henry Doughty RWR interesting. Can't yet connect with 'my' Doughty's but who knows1

Still looking for ANY info on Prvt Frederick thomas Parker, 2nd Battallion RWR in WW1. He was wounded at Gouzeacourt Wood. Shot through the neck.

He recovered. later servbed in 2/4th Battallion Royal Berks. Don't know why he was transfered or when.

Have writen to R Berks Reg Museum, 'The Wardrobe' for info and sent a donation but haver had no replies at all.

I know Grandad fred did not go to italy with the 2nd battallion so assume he was at that time unfit or had been posted to R Berks reg. I am pretty sure he was then or shortly after made up to Lance Corporal.

Ah well, will keep on searching and trying to piece together his War service from whatever I can get hold of!

Thanx

Ray

Frederick Thomas Parker

24462 2nd Warwicks

transferred to 5th Royal Berks as 38036

transferred to 2/4th Royal Berks

replies to your enquiries to the Wardrobe were sent 26/5/03 and 15/9/03

regards

John Chapman

• 1 month later...

:D Hello,

Any info on L/Cpl Garnet Morris 242685, 1/6th Territorial Royal Warwicks.

Many thanks

Clare

Rob.

I have aquired the BWM and Victory Medals for two Royal Warwicks Soldiers.

PTE J.N.Cornock,266900

and

PTE A.Lambeth,305702, 8th or 11th Battalion ??.

Do you have any information on either of them ??

Thanks

Steven :unsure:

Rob,

Was wondering if you might have any information on my grandfather.

I believe he was born Arthur John Sullivan, joined the Cameron Highlanders as a drummer boy, transferred to Royal Artillery and served in India for 5 years, wound up in the RWR where he was invalided out during WWI. The details I have from his "Pip, Squeak and Wilfred" medals are:

# 4819 L-Cpl J Sullivan R.W.R. (bronze star 1914-15)

# 4819 Pte J Sullivan R.W.R. (1914-19)

# 4819 Pte J Sullivan

He was known as "Jack" and when joining was probably an orphan around Lancs.

It's a bit difficult to find the right avenues to research out here in Australia!

Thanks for your help.

Jenny

HI Rob

Scant information I am afraid:

Sergeant F Neal (battn unknown)

Private G Smith, 10th Warwicks

Any help on these two would be appreciated. They were both from Chailey in Sussex.

Thanks in advance

Paul

• 1 month later...

hello rob,

here's a good one or two for you!

4765 a/sgt ernest harold long DCM MM

DCM and MM gained with 11th

kia with 10th

8665 l/cpl william watkins 1st

dow 2nd oct 1917

thanks enoch

• 2 weeks later...