Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

robwilliams

Hope I can be of help to someone. Over the years I have built up a database of members of the above Regiment. It currently has 39000 entries. By necessity, it is still not complete. However, if you want me to look someone up, just ask

Hi Rob

Would you have any info regarding Pte Harry Phelps, No.2191. He went over with the 1/8th RWR on 22 March, 1915. He was wounded. Could you pinpoint it to the attack on 1st July, 1916? He later transferred to the RASC on 22/11/18 and demobbed on 18 March, 1919.

Cheers

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Terry, you well know it would cost more than half a pint!

Pte Harry Phelps, reported wounded in Bham Daily Post of 17 August 1916. It took approx 6 weeks for report of wound/death to appear in the paper. In addition, 1/8th RWR did nothing after 1.7.16 until about 15.8.16 (there were none of them left), so I have to agree that Phelps was wounded on 1.7.16.

Do you know his six figure TF number as I have a Phelps H wounded twice in 1917? Maybe that led to RASC?

Interestingly he does not appear in RWR 1915 Star medal roll.

Rob:blink:

Hi Rob

I do not have Pte Harry Phelps's six figure number. His A.S.C. number was M/410508. He transferred on 22/11/18. He is listed, by the way, in the RASC 1915 Star Roll (WO 329-2902) "Regiment or Corps when decoration was earned." This gives his 1/8 RWR number, 2191, and the date he went to France, 22/3/15.

Thanks for looking Rob.

Speak to you soon

Terry

Hello Rob,

A bit for your database:

Advertisement (1918)

Foot Charred to the Bone.

Terrible Burns Healed by Zam-Buk.

After two years service with The Royal Warwicks in Gallipoli and France, Mr H.B.Deakin , of 34 Alton Road, Selly Oak, Birmingham was discharged from the service with a silver plate in his knee and four bullet wounds in his left arm.

After a short rest he took up work as a tube-caster and then met with an accident which, but for Zam-Buk's timely help might have crippled him for life.

(the article goes on somewhat - basically injuries caused to his foot by molten metal . Normal treatment made no difference until a friend recommended Zam-Buk , which of course cured the problem ).

Hello Rob:

Thanks for making an offer to search your data base. I would be grateful for any information on this chap:

Lieutenant George R. C. MARTIN

6th Bn., Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Killed on 1 July 1916.

Kind regards and thanks in advance,

David Bluestein

davidbluestein@rogers.com

Stuart,

The only reference I have come across to 16162 Edwards J was in the Birmingham Daily Post of 21.12.16, when he was listed as being 'wounded'. Still, I suppose it's better than nothing. By my reckoning it took about about 6 weeks at this stage of the war for an event to make it into the paper, so this probably happened towards the end of the first week of November 16.

Rob

David,

Lt GRC Martin:

Lt George Russell Courtney Martin, 6th Bn. Killed 1 July 1916, buried Miraumont Com Cem/C/5. Age 25. Son of George. Mentioned in Birmingham Weekly Post on 22.7.16. Lived Hartop Court, Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield, Warks. Also mentioned in casualty list in Birmingham Daily Post on 14 July 1916 (the entries for officers came through quicker than for ORs!) as wounded and missing.

Hope that's OK.

Rob

"Many thanks for the "Zam-Buk". I'll have to try that!"

Rob,

Thanks for the info.

It will be interesting to see if your records confirm the subject in the Zam-Buk story. There are other stories relating to Zam-Buk being a wonderful cure.

thanks

Stuart

Hi Rob re your offer for look ups do you have any info on

Pte Frederick Newman

4418 1/6 Bn Royal Warwickshire Reg

Pte Frederick Box

28660 15 Bn Royal Warwickshire Reg

thanks John

Hi Rob

Any information you have on the following two men would be very much appreciated and will definately be worth a pint next time I'm in the UK.

Pte Frederick Howlett Pittaway

2nd Bn Royal Warwickshire Reg

KIA 03/09/16 - Thiepval Memorial

2879 - Pte HP Pittaway

2nd Bn Royal Warwickshire Reg

Died while POW 11/04/15

Berlin South Western Cemetery XIII.D.9

Cheers

Andrew Pittaway

John,

All I have for F Newman is

Frederick Newman killed 1.7.16. He was listed in the Bham Daily Post as missing on 21.8.16. Listed on Thiepval Memorial.

Rob

John,

Fredrick Box...all the info I have is from CWGC. Do you have that already. Incidentally, I work near Dogpool Lane, Stirchley, which is where he came from.

Rob

Andrew,

Pte F Pittaway...All I have extra to the CWGC, is that he was listed in Bham Daily Post on 24.10.16 as missing.

Pte Henry P...landed in France 11.11.14 with 2 Bn and therefore awarded 1914 Star. He is in the Bham Weekly Post of 10.7.15, where there is a photo of him. He had previously served in the Boer War and had the Queen's South Africa Medal. Listed in Bham Daily Post 11.5.15 as missing and 11.8.15 as PoW & Died. Also from Stirchley.

Rob

Rob

Would you look up Private 463 Earnest Lazenby Styles

Died 27.7.16

SDGW and CWGC have in in the 14th Battalion RWR who were at rest that day.

Terry Carter - 'Birmingham Pals' has him in the 16th RWR which would fit in with an attack on Longueval.

Thanks for any clarification

Dave

Private Ernest Lazenby Styles, No.463 was an original volunteer to the 3rd Birmingham Battalion. He served in B Coy and was in 5 Platoon (he is in the Birmingham City battalions Book of Honour and is in the platoon photograph somewhere). he was killed in action on 27/7/16 at Longueval. For some reason He is down as 14th Royal Warwicks in SDGW and CWGC.

He came from Bloxwich.

Also in the same platoon was L/Cpl G H Styles, No.462, more than likely his brother since they had consecutive numbers.

Also in the same platoon was Pte George Reginald Styles, No.450. He was killed (L/cpl) on 3/9/16 during attack on Falfemont Farm area. However he came from Aston, B'ham.

After the war G H Styles No.462, was a member of the 3rd B'ham Club and he lived at 82 Lichfield Road, Bloxwich, Walsall.

Cheers

Terry

Rob

Could you look up the following chap for me. The medal rolls have him down as 1st Garrison Bn. If that is so, can you tell me what this battalion was.

Private Richard James Coles

Thanks

Michael

George Reginald Styles appears on the war memorial in Bewdley, Worcestershire:

Lance Corporal George Reginald STYLES 16th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment 450 b. Peterborough, Northants e. Birmingham r. Aston, Birmingham killed in action France and Flanders Sunday 3rd September 1916

 Aged 24

 Son of Henry and Martha A Styles of Rose Villa, Wyre Hill, Bewdley

 Delville Wood Cemetery, Longueval, Somme, France

 XXV. K 7.

 Gravestone in Churchyard of St. Leonards, Ribbesford, Bewdley records ‘In loving memory of / George Henry Styles / who died August 7th 1924 / Aged 54 / Resting In Peace / Also George Reginald / Son of the above / killed in the Great War / September 3rd 1916 Aged 23 / Greater love hath no man than this / Also Martha Ada wife of / George Henry Styles / who fell asleep November 2nd 1935 / aged 67 / until the morning without clouds’

Hello Rob

You might just might be my lifeline! For some time now I've been trying to find out details about my grandfather who was with the 2/6 Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment.

He was Sergeant Frederick Hide (could also be spelt Hyde on his record) and was awarded the Silver War Badge after losing a heel towards the end of the war. The thing that's been bugging me is when and where he was wounded?!

I've visited both the PRO and the RWR museum at Warwick with little success. At the Warwick museum I found the war diaries of the 2/6 battalion. Although these journals were fascinating, I would love to be able to cross reference them with a date relating to when my grandfather was wounded (eg. what engagements the 2/6 had at the time).

However, anything on the data base regarding Sergeant Frederick Hide would be most welcome!

Best regards

Nick

nicknobbyclark@hotmail.com