Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kirkee Cemetery, Pune, India

Paul Nixon

I shall be visiting Kirkee cemetery next Monday (4th July) and, flights permitting, will have the afternoon to take photos.

Although established to receive Second World War graves from western and central India there is a also a memorial in the cemetery to more than 1,800 servicemen who died in India during WW1. This is from the CWGC site:

The KIRKEE MEMORIAL commemorates more than 1,800 servicemen who died in India during the First World War, who are buried in civil and cantonment cemeteries in India and Pakistan where their graves can no longer be properly maintained. This total includes the names of 629 servicemen whose remains were brought from Bombay (Sewri) Cemetery for re-interment here in 1960.

Happy to take photos if you PM me the details.

Paul

Paul,

I'd be very grateful if you could manage some of these & a general view, please?

Gratefully,

Bob Pike

MR56 Kirkee Mem

Staff - Brig-Gen.Goring-Jones

Ches (4) – Pte. Hollingsworth J

Essex (6) – Maj.Blyth HR : Capt.Braun CL

Leics (4) - Sgt.Unwin G

Wilts (7) - Pte.Hopwood E

Kent Cyc Bn (10) - Pte.Barnard H

RAMC (11) – Pte.Woods JA

IARO – 2Lt. Elphick WR

Sure thing Bob, will do.

Paul

Paul,

That's great, many thanks. I know sometimes time overtakes so I'd be most grateful for any,

Bob

Paul,

Can you take pics of the names of the following 2 soldiers please?

William Scott, Scottish Rifles

Andrew Slorance, Seaforth Highlanders.

Thank you.

Sure thing Derek, they're on the list.

I shall be visiting Kirkee cemetery next Monday (4th July) and, flights permitting, will have the afternoon to take photos.

Paul,

There's a Bridlington lad on the Face F of the Memorial - Alfred Victor PLATTS, RAMC. A general shot of the Memorial would be great, the actual inscription for him even better.

No problem Nick, I'll add him to the roll call.

Paul

I know I am asking a lot but I doubt I will make India and would love -

ARBUTHNOTT. WILLIAM

ARMITAGE. GEORGE

BLAIR. ALEXANDER NEVILLE

BOURNE. HERBERT

CLARK. JOHN

HEALY. OWEN

KNIGHT. JOHN

LABEN. THOMAS

MCLAUGHLIN. T

NAIRN. ANDREW

PATON. JAMES

PRINGLE. JAMES

WALLACE. JAMES

They are all Black watch.

Thanks

Fred

No problems Fred, I'll do my best. I doubt I'll make it to Glasgow actually and there may be somebody you could help me out with one of these fine days.

Your men are on the list.

Paul

Paul many, many, thanks.

When you are ready send me your details and I will go a hunting. I am off on hols to F & F at the weekend though.

Fred

Paul,

This is a cheek after my first list, but would it be possible to take all the Essex panels as well? It would be very useful to the Essex WFA as I'm Hon. Ed of their newsletter, "If You Want the Old Battalion."

I also am very happy to take photos for you in F & F, or Gallipoli as a small appreciation,

Bob

Fred thanks for that, no hurry. The name I'm after has waited for 80+ years already and is not going anywhere fast: Rifleman Robert Mearns Hobbs, Cameronians. He was from Maryhill so I'm presuming he is on a memorial in Maryhill. Don't go out of your way though Fred.

Bob, no problem. As an Essex boy (Chelmsford) and until recently, a long-standing WFA member, I'm happy to help out the Essex branch.

I might take you up on the F&F offer. I think I have Gallipoli covered. Thanks for the offer.

Paul

Paul, Thanks, have a safe trip. AS for F&F just let me know, I'm next there from July 29

Bob

Paul

I may be a bit late now as it's 2nd July and you may be on your way...

If not too late I would be very grateful for:

Richard Hampton 4th South Wales Borderers Panel 5 died 4/12/1918

Regards

Andy Johnson

Not too late, I'm still in Bangalore and will add Richard Hampton to the list.

Paul

Sorry-missed this thread before. Would it be possible to add Serjeant Edgar Brunskill of 1st Manchesters, who died on 25th September 1917 to the list? His sister Marian was a local philanthropist and her trust funded the creation of a Bury Grammar School war memorial for our school hall (the original is in what is now the Girls' school) on which her brother's name appears. His name is on Face E of the memorial.

Sure Mark, Sergeant Brunskill is added.

I'm flying in a couple of hours so will have to close this offer now.

Cheers

Paul

Jim, Bob, Derek, Nick, Fred, Geoff, Andy and Mark

You should all have received e-mails from me - some with attachments. Those of you for whom I don't have an e-mail address, please e-mail me and I'll get the pics off to you.

I had a very successful afternoon and took over 800 shots in total, mostly of the second world war graves. Pune was very, very wet. It had been raining for the past ten to fifteen days (depending on who you spoke to) but nevertheless it did clear sufficiently for me not to get too drenched.

The two photos attached, show you what the place looks like. There are 12 memorial panels in total - four of them designated A - D and the rest numbered numerically, 1-16. I managed to get all the shots requested plus also took a number of general shots of the panels at a sufficiently high resolution to pick out the majority of the names.

If anybody wants additional general shots (or other individual shots for that matter) please let me know and I'll send them off.

Cheers

Paul

post-563-1120636742.jpg

post-563-1120636935.jpg

I see that the above shots have pixelated somewhat but you get the general idea. The originals are far better.

Guest geoff501
The two photos attached, show you what the place looks like.  There are 12 memorial panels in total - four of them designated A - D and the rest numbered

Paul,

Many thanks - great pictures. It sure looks wet, lucky you got a break in the weather.

cheers,

I see that the above shots have pixelated somewhat but you get the general idea.  The originals are far better.

Hello Paul have you a photo of the royal warwickshire panelb, 17 names if so i would love to have a copy. my email address is kevanderby@tiscali.co.uk

many thanks

kevan

I don't seem to have received an e-mail from you, Paul. am sending you my address again in case there's been a snafu,

Thanks again

Mark Hone

Kevan, a shot of panel B is on its way to you.

Mark, just got your mail so am sending you your pics too.

Best wishes

Paul

Hi Paul

Just back from holiday and got your e.mail with the pictures.

I have sent a personal e.mail but just wanted to record my thanks on the forum for a job well done and results gratefully received.

Thanks again

Fred