Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Caithness

Jock Bruce

In the unlikely event anybody wants pictures of memorials or CWGC in Caithness - please ask here. I'm there next week.

Might consider requests for Sutherland as well, but no promises.

Jock

Hello Jock, Christina Jack, QAIMNS, came from Thurso. I have a photo of her headstone but I wonder if she is on the Thurso War Memorial. If so a snap of her name from the memorial would be appreciated. Similarly for Christina Nicol, QAIMNS, on the Westfield War Memorial.

Moving on to Sutherland I could do with a picture of the headstone of Isabella MacKenzie, QAIMNS in Melness Cemetery, Tongue (sorry, no plot reference). Also Williamina Matheson, QMAAC, buried in Clyne New Burial Ground (Brora) plot E.630. Her name may also be on the Brora War Memorial.

All the best, Jim Strawbridge

In the unlikely event anybody wants pictures of memorials or CWGC in Caithness -

None needed but I would like to bring these WW1 stories connected with Caithness

to attention of the forum.

Caithness- Military

You will have scroll down a bit when you open the Caithness-Archives to find the Caithness- Military bit.

Enjoy.

Liam

Hello

If you can take the photo of the following grave it would be nice

TREEN, FRANK WALLACE

Initials: F W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: H.M. Coastguard

Date of Death: 15/04/1941

Additional information: Son of Francis and Elizabeth Treen; husband of Mary Emma Treen.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Sec. C. Grave 120.

Cemetery: CLYNE NEW BURIAL GROUND

If it is not in close place to you I am sorry .; I am not

aware about british geography

best regards

• 5 months later...

TD60

Brora is my home town. I have a photo of FW Treen's grave. If you haven't already got a copy please leave a message for me and I'll get a copy sent to you.

Cheers

Adam

• 13 years later...
On 03/06/2005 at 21:34, Jim Strawbridge said:

Also Williamina Matheson, QMAAC, buried in Clyne New Burial Ground (Brora) plot E.630. Her name may also be on the Brora War Memorial.

All the best, Jim Strawbridge

The handsome granite tablet , with the names of 61 of the fallen belonging to the parish, was unveiled by Mrs Matheson, wife of Mr Thomas Matheson , Chairman of Brora Parish Connoil. Mr and Mrs¦ Matheson suffered the loss of a daughter, two sons, and a son-in-law through the war.

• 4 months later...

I moved up to Thurso in 1973 as my father was at HMS Vulcan next door to Dounreay.  I eventually worked at Dounreay which was quite a place and at the time full of 2nd world war heroes.  It is an area rich in history and from a military viewpoint it was fascinating.  I recall visiting Orkney in the early 1970s to find lots of wartime debris just lying on more secluded beaches.  There was a chap from Thurso who set up a museum in a bunker around that time and he had quite a collection of items - he also wore military attire most of the time. The graveyard is up by the salmon pool I recall and the war graves were always well looked after lots of course from naval conflicts.  In those days there was no easy internet access to find out about those graves but I had a handwritten list of every one.  Sadly the list and research that went with it was lost.