Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Original Trench maps - Somme and Serbia

delta

I have two original trench maps -one shows the ground captured during an attack on the Somme; the other of ground in serbia.

Would pictures of these be of help to anyone?

I have two original trench maps -one shows the ground captured during an attack on the Somme; the other of ground in serbia.

Would pictures of these be of help to anyone?

Which Somme trenchmap is it?

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave

The map shows the Somme River, including Bray sur Somme, and the inscriptions descibe an attack in August 1918

Dave

The map shows the Somme River, including Bray sur Somme, and the inscriptions descibe an attack in August 1918

Definately interested. Can you post an example scan here, please? (Has the map got a title - I might be able to let you know which bit I'd like to see if it has)

Thanks,

Dave. :)

Yes of course, glad to help.

Regret that I won't be able to do it before next Monday

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay - hopefully the wait will be worth it

Somme Trench Map – August 1918

The map sheet is 1:20,000 France 62D NE edition 3 B (local) with trenches corrected to 3 Aug 1918. It covers the area between Mametz (northeast) and Vaux sur Somme (Southwest). The map is smeared with mud and has split along the folds, such that it is difficult to make out the names of all of the features using the naked eye (the scanner makes the picture much more clear). The map shows original blue pencil marks, some of which have subsequently been inked over by an observer of the action from 142 Inf Bde whose name appears to be R Asser.

The map shows an attack by 47th (London Terr) Div on 22 Aug 1918; Zero hour is recorded as 04.45 am. The map also shows the final position of Australian troops operating to 47th Div’s south. It states that all objectives were taken and that a consequent counter attack by the German 52nd (Reserve) Div against 142 Inf Bde failed.

The map is marked with the northern and southern divisional boundary and the location of 141 Inf Bde, which was in reserve. The map shows a two stage attack with 140 Bde securing a line to the east of a German position marked “Happy Valley” and the subsequent objective of the 142 Bde.

Serbia Trench Map August 1918

The map sheet is 1:20,000 map pf BAKCE OBASI edition 1 (confidential) with enemy trenches corrected to 18 Jun 1918. It covers the border area between Greece, Bulgaria and Serbia; the bulk of the ground being in Serbia. The map is in very good condition (slight foxing only) and is unmarked. It was produced by 8th Field Survey Coy RE and has the serial 486 26-8-18;

The map shows a highly mountainous region to the south and eats, with a plateau to the north west; the detail was copied from air photos and the key gives the following health warning: “The area north of the BLAGA PLANIA ………….. is probably only very approximately corrected and should be considered more as a diagram than a map. “

I am having difficulty loading the map due to a lack of memory - will work on that and try to send it as another attachment

Stephen

I am having difficulty loading the map due to a lack of memory - will work on that and try to send it as another attachment

Hi Stephen.

Thanks for the descriptions. They sound an extremely interesting pair!

Would it be possible for you to scan and post on here (or send me via email) a section of the Somme map that contains square L7(roughly half way down, towards the right hand side of the map), please?

Thanks,

Dave. :D

Stephen,

I would be interested in a scan of the Serbian map please, if possible.

here is what I have scanned so far of the Somme map. I will work on the Serbian and deatiled areas you requested.

Dave - here is L7 as requested, reduced by 50%; you should be able to refresh it to full size but the colour loss is due to its sending as a gif.

Kate - I will down load the Serbian map in chunks and then post

Kate

I am having major problems loading sections of the Serbian map on the site, I will try to find a way round it

Dave - here is L7 as requested, reduced by 50%; you should be able to refresh it to full size but the colour loss is due to its sending as a gif.

Thanks for posting this ...but...how do I refresh it to full size?

Sorry to be a pain, but is there any chance of scanning it and posting it as a JPEG (reduced in size to about 600 to 900 pix, and compressed using some kind of JPEG optimizer)? I can't see anything on this as it is now.

Thanks for trying, anyway.

Cheers,

Dave.

Any chance of scanning it and posting it as a JPEG (reduced in size to about 600 to 900 pix, and compressed using some kind of JPEG optimizer)? I can't see anything on this as it is now.

Here's an example of a large(ish) section of a scanned, resized and compressed trenchmap in JPEG format at under 100kb in size...

Dave.

post-357-1118356805.jpg

Sorry to take so long - here is the jpg as requested

Sorry to take so long - here is the jpg as requested

Thanks Stephen.

dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Stephen & daughter,

Thankyou very much for the copies of the Serbian map.

I hope I can return the favour sometime.

Best wishes

Kate

• 2 months later...

Stephen,

do you have the map for the Oviller sector, july 16?

in particular i am trying to find the trenches Border Street and Hodder Street, these are where the 7th Bn Royal Sussex were going over from on the 6th July 16,

thanks in anticipation

Mandy

Mandy

I am afraid not - the map shows the area well to the south near the Somme River, including Bray sur Somme, and the inscriptions descibe an attack by 47th Div in August 1918

Stephen

Stephen,

thanks,

I will put out a new post see if anyone can help,

Mandy

Somme Trench Map – August 1918

The map sheet is 1:20,000 France 62D NE edition 3 B (local) with trenches corrected to 3 Aug 1918. .... The map shows original blue pencil marks, some of which have subsequently been inked over by an observer of the action from 142 Inf Bde whose name appears to be R Asser.

The map shows an attack by 47th (London Terr) Div on 22 Aug 1918; Zero hour is recorded as 04.45 am. The map also shows the final position of Australian troops operating to 47th Div’s south. It states that all objectives were taken and that a consequent counter attack by the German 52nd (Reserve) Div against 142 Inf Bde failed.

The map is marked with the northern and southern divisional boundary and the location of 141 Inf Bde, which was in reserve. The map shows a two stage attack with 140 Bde securing a line to the east of a German position marked “Happy Valley” and the subsequent objective of the 142 Bde.

Hi Stephen, is there a chance that you could please post this section of the map? I'm researching 141 Bde, 47 Div and have not found one with these markings in either the Bde or Div War Diaries.

regards

Charles

Hi Stephen, is there a chance that you could please post this section of the map? I'm researching 141 Bde, 47 Div and have not found one with these markings in either the Bde or Div War Diaries.

regards

Charles

I have had difficulty in scanning the document but may be abkle to provide you with a colour photcopy; would that suffice?