Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/KRRC

birkettm

Hello!

Anyone got any histories pertaining to the 2/KRRC in 1914?

ta

marc

Yes.

Dave. :unsure:

what were they doing between 30 Aug - 30 Sept 1914?

...about 12 or 13 pages worth of the regimental history!!!! :D

Anything specific that you're after, or would a scan from Ray Westlake's "British battalions in France and Belgium 1914" (2 pages) do instead?

Dave.

...about 12 or 13 pages worth of the regimental history!!!! :D

Anything specific that you're after, or would a scan from Ray Westlake's "British battalions in France and Belgium 1914" (2 pages) do instead?

post-357-1116966003.jpg

post-357-1116966063.jpg

thats brill. Thanksyou!

Any chance i could have a copy of the regimental history from the 13th through to the end of that engagement?

ta

marc

• 3 months later...

Hi Mark,

I have a copy of 2KRRC Chronicles and my Grandfather's diary of the first 3 months. Have you got a copy yet? If not I am happy to copy it for you. Do you have any other info to swap?

Mike Smith

Might anyone be able to supply me with the extract from the regimental history for the 14th November 1914.

Many Thanks,

Steve.

On the 5th November the Battalion was moved to some woods about 1 mile east of Zillebeke. They spent the next few days digging in.

The history is poorly detailed about this time and covers 12th to 16th as follows:

There was no serious attack till the afternoon of November 12th, when the Prussian Guards attacked the whole front. They were, however, stopped within 60 yds of our line, owing mostly to the fire of the machine gun section. It was on this occasion that Lt Dimmer behaved so splendidly and won his VC. One gun was knocked out by shell fire early in the attack. Most of the men in his emplacement were killed or wounded, but he, although wounded in five places, cotinued to fire his own gun until the jacket was so riddled with bullets that the gun jammed from overheating. Dimmer then fell senseless into the bottom of the emplacement., but the Germans had already been stopped, and the few who were left alive fell back to their old trenches. We continued to hold the line until November 16th when we were relieved......

Hope this helps. Do you have any usefull info to swap?

Mike

Many thanks for the information Mike. The only information I have for trade is to that of the Lincolnshires and Lincs Yeo.

The VC story is a very interesting lead, no doubt large write ups can be found on this action.

Thanks again,

Steve.

• 4 months later...

Mike Smith

Still digging away for info on Archie Hoare (RSM of 2 KRRC on mobilisation - commisssioned in the field on 1Oct 1914)

Would be grateful for any details from the Bn history or from your grandfather's diary

Mike Smith

Still digging away for info on Archie Hoare (RSM of 2 KRRC on mobilisation - commisssioned in the field on 1Oct 1914)

Would be grateful for any details from the Bn history or from your grandfather's diary

Hi Stephen,

I will send you some stuff in the next few days.

Regards Mike