Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War

Doug Lewis

I have a copy of Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War by Captain H. Stacke M.C.

Willing to do look ups.

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug - thanks for your offer. I did post this elsewhere:

I am helping a member of this man's family piece together his war service. His MM appeared in the first MM gazette (3rd June 1916); it was alledgedly for escaping whilst a temporary POW during the Retreat.

Just wondering if the Worcestershire Regiment history says anything about him?

His details are:

13248 Pte Richard Wood MM, 3rd then 1st then 3rd Bns.

Looks like he was badly wounded on the Somme, eventually being discharged in 1919 after more than two years in hospital. He died, due to war wounds, in 1923.

Would appreciate if you could see if there is any mention of him for me.

Paul

I cannot find any mention of him, I have read up to the date he was gazetted, the history appears to record the award of every other medal except the Military Medal. He is of course recorded in the Honours index. Sorry I couldn't of be of more use.

Regards Doug.

Doug my grandad George Ernest Green was awarded the MM in the last few months of the war he was with the 1st Worcesters at the time from Febuary 1918, have you anything on him please ?????

Nigel

Nothing other than he was gazetted 20/8/19,as I posted above the history does not mention anything in relation to a man receiving a M.M.

Regards Doug.

Paul

I cannot find any mention of him, I have read up to the date he was gazetted, the history appears to record the award of every other medal except the Military Medal. He is of course recorded in the Honours index. Sorry I couldn't of be of more use.

Regards Doug.

Many thanks Doug - much appreciated. I just wanted to confirm one way or another that he was mentioned in there.

Hi Doug,

would you have anything on the 2nd/8th Bn. on 21-23 March 1918 please would appreciate any information. Thanks.

Regards John

John

I have information,but it's four pages long,please send me an email address off line and I will send you the information. It is ready to send to you.

Regards Doug.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest geoff501
I have a copy of Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War by Captain H. Stacke M.C.

Willing to do look ups.

It has been mentioned somewhere on the forum before that the Stacke book is available on CD-ROM from:

http://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/index.html

What may not have been mentioned was the remarkable low price of £15, anyone with a lot of Worcs. regiment lookup would do well to get a copy. It's a great book anyhow. No need to fear Naval and Military reprint prices!

Doug if you have an original edition, I envy you. I've seen it in the county libraries.

• 1 month later...
Guest nhuitson

Hallo.I am researching on behalf of my uncle.Any help would be appreciated.His father was called William Homer and he served in the Worcestershire Regiment.He enlisted in Halesowen on 6th May 1914,and was discharged on 6th March 1919.I have a copy of his discharge certificate which states that he was awarded the 1914-15 star,British War,and Victory medals,plus "Chevrons,three blue"-I am not sure what that bit means?He also had one wound stripe.I don't really know any more-so many people wouldn't talk about what they did,but if anyone is able to help,Iwould be very grateful,

Nicky

Nick

This is the beginning of the information on the 4th on the 23/4/17,if you send me an email address I will email the remainder,there is no info particular to Pte Hyde

Before dawn on April 23rd the 4th Worcestershire moved forward to their allotted position

and lay down, aligned on tapes which had been put out along the line of the lane which runs up from La Bergere Mill to Monchy. The 2nd Hampshire were deployed immediately in rear.

SECOND BATTLE OF THE SCARPE, 1917.

Just as the first light showed pale over the crest of Infantry Hill the British guns broke " out in intense fire. The platoons of the 4th Worcestershire rose to their feet and charged forward down the slope through a storm of shells. The German front line was easily crossed, and the few survivors of the defence were killed or captured. The Worcestershire companies reached the bottom of the hollow and pushed up the slope. Officers and men fell at every step, but the enemy's second line was stormed: one German machine-gun was rushed and captured by Private A. E. Atkinson single-handed. Led by one surviving wounded subaltern, Lieutenant H. Croom-Johnson, the attackers reached their goal, the crest-line of the spur which runs south from Infantry Hill. Within half-an-hour from the start, the 4th Worcestershire had advanced nearly a mile, had reached their objective, and had commenced to entrench.

Regards Doug.

• 3 months later...

Doug,

If your still offering to do look-ups about the Worcestershire Regiment, I wonder if you have any information about events surrounding these two casualties:

Name: PARKER, FREDERICK STEPHEN

Initials: F S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 26/01/1915

Service No: 11758

Additional information: Brother of Mr. W. Parker, of Mill St., Usk, Mon. Native of Mitcham, Surrey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. D. 18.

Cemetery: ROYAL IRISH RIFLES GRAVEYARD, LAVENTIE

A brass Memorial Plaque in Mitcham Parish Church of St.Peter and St.Paul reads:

TO THE MEMORY OF/ SERGEANT F. PARKER 1ST BN. THE WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT KILED IN ACTION NEAR NEUVE CHAPELLE ON JANUARY 26TH 1915/ THIS TABLET IS ERECTED AS A TOKEN OF RESPECT AND FELT FOR HIM BOTH AS A SOLDIER AND A MAN BY HIS COMPANY COMMANDER.

Obviously, Serg. Parker was highly respected and I can only speculate as to the sentiment of this memorial. Perhaps the history can throw some light on this

Name: HOWSE

Initials: W J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 02/10/1914

Service No: 10966

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Louisa Cook (formerly Howse), of 84, Courtenay St., Kennington, London, and the late Mr. A. Howse. Native of Mitcham, Surrey.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: A. 45.

Cemetery: LE MANS WEST CEMETERY

Both men are named on the local war memorial.

With thanks,

Chris.

With thanks,

Chris.

Chris

Sorry just seen your post,will look for you and let you know.

Regards Doug.

Chris

Sorry just seen your post,will look for you and let you know.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

No problem, whenever you get a chance. Sgt. Parker's memorial intrigues me. Did he save hs comany commander's life, or was it something else?

Regards,

Chris

Chris

W J HOWSE

While the 3rd Worcestershire had thus been moving up to Flanders the 2nd Battalion had remained holding trenches on the Aisne. The days were marked by no notable event. The heavy bombardments of the previous week had now died down to a desultory gun-fire, but continuous sniping allowed the troops no respite from danger.

It looks like your man was killed by sniper fire.

Regards Doug.

Chris

W J HOWSE

While the 3rd Worcestershire had thus been moving up to Flanders the 2nd Battalion had remained holding trenches on the Aisne. The days were marked by no notable event. The heavy bombardments of the previous week had now died down to a desultory gun-fire, but continuous sniping allowed the troops no respite from danger.

It looks like your man was killed by sniper fire.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

Thanks for that. Stupidly I forgot to mention W J HOWSE is listed as Died of Wounds on the SDGW and Serj. Parker KIA.

I wonder if there was any significant action in the 7 to 14 days before W J Howse died.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris

This is the most significant action,but as you already know he could quite easily been wounded while standing in a trench from shell and sniper fire.

"September 19th was the first of three days of continuous strain and heavy fighting. The enemy's shell-fire against the positions of the 2nd Division developed about 2 p.m. into a tremendous bombardment both against the left flank of the Division held by the 4th (Guards) Brigade, and against the position of the 6th Brigade, then holding the valley running up to Braye and the wooded ridge of La Bovette. An infantry attack against the latter began as dusk fell. Orders then came

for " A " and " B " Companies of the 2nd Worcestershire to move from their position in reserveat Verneuil to the support of the 6th Brigade. The two companies reported to the Brigadier of the 6th Brigade about 8 p.m. and lay in reserve throughout the night. Meanwhile the remainder of the 2nd Worcestershire had been withdrawn from the Tilleul height and remained all night in reserve, " standing by " ready to reinforce any threatened point.

Dawn of the 20th brought a storm of shells, and the German infantry commenced to push forward. The attack came against the right flank battalion of the 6th Brigade, the 1st King'sRegiment, which was holding the line from the canal in the Braye valley to the western slopes of the Tilleul spur. The western slope of the spur was heavily wooded, and the German infantry worked their way forward through the woods. Into these woods " A " and " B " Companies of the 2nd Worcestershire were sent, together with two platoons of the H.L.I., to drive back the attacking enemy. The advance began about 11 a.m. With great difficulty the two companies pushed through the dense woods, suffering many casualties from the enemy's fire. Beyond the wood they cameupon a company of German infantry in position. The Worcestershire companies charged withthe bayonet and drove the enemy from their trenches. Then, as they pressed on, disaster befell them. A strong force of the enemy, well entrenched on the flank, opened a murderous fire as theWorcestershire platoons spread out over the open. The losses were heavy, all the officers of twocompanies were shot down, and the remnant fell back. A tangled fight ensued, in which the little force became hopelessly scattered in the dense wood. Eventually Captain C. E. L. Porter, wounded though he was, succeeded in collecting a remnant of the two companies, and established a position

on the near edge of the wood, linking up with the 5th Brigade on the right and the 6th Brigade on the left. Meanwhile " C " and " D " Companies had been sent up to support the H.L.I, on the Tilleul hill.

Next day (21st) at dawn "A" and " B " Companies were relieved and withdrawn into reserve.The enemy's heavy guns continued to shell the position at intervals and there were some minorattacks, but the 2nd Worcestershire were not actively engaged."

Regards Doug

Chris

PARKER, FREDERICK STEPHEN

"During January the weather steadily grew worse. The 2nd Battalion in reserve billets at Vieille Chapelle or at Gorre did not experience the worst of the ordeal, but the 1st Battalion still -facing Neuve Chapelle suffered severely. By January 13th most of the trenches held by the 8th Division were three feet deep in water, and it was then decided temporarily to abandon the greater part of the trench line and to convert the parados into a breastwork. That was done, and behind the scanty cover afforded by a sandbag breastwork officers and men crouched in the pouring rain. Had the enemy been aggressive, or had their artillery been minded to shell that flimsy cover, the casualties must have been heavy; but the Germans were probably in similar plight and contented themselves with a sniping fire which caused but little loss. From that date onwards until the beginning of March the 1st Worcestershire and the 2nd Northamptonshire alternately held that same line of trenches.

1st Battalion casualties during the period of occupation of " B " lines, facing Neuve Chapelle—December 31st - January 31st, 28 killed, one officer and 60 other ranks wounded. "

Regards Doug.

Doug,

Many thanks for looking up and typing out all this relevant information re: Howse and Parker.

Regards,

Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Doug

Could you see if there is any mention of the following casualty or details of where his battalion was at the time he was killed

Private Harry Broad of Aston, Birmingham

13363 3rd Bn Worcestershire Reg

Died 24.10.1914 age 18

minoula

BATTLE OF LA BASSEE.

Orders for the withdrawal reached the 3rd Worcestershire about midnight. The Royal West Kent moved back first and took up the new line near the Bois du Biez. Then the Worcester-shire companies filed out of their trenches, assembled and marched back. The Battalion had been ordered back into reserve and passed through the new defensive line to quarters in buildings west of the wood. Officers and men flung themselves down to sleep, but before 9 a.m. (Oct. 22nd) they were roused again.

On the right the retirement of the 5th Division had lagged behind that of the 3rd Division.

At dawn the enemy had again attacked all along the line. Un the front of the 3rd Division the enemy's attack had struck only the abandoned trenches from which the troops had been withdrawn,but at Violames the Cheshire of the 5th Division had not yet withdrawn when they met the weight of the enemy's onslaught. The line there had given way, and the 5th Division was asking urgently for help. The only reserve battalion of the 3rd Division had to be sent to their assistance, and so at 9.30 a.m., the 3rd Worcestershire again moved forward, this time to the cross-roads at La Tourelle.

Under orders from the 5th Division a counter-attack was organised against Rue du Marais.Two companies of the 3rd Worcestershire led by Colonel Stuart went forward to reinforce the D.C.L.I, who were fighting in the hedgerows and ditches just north of that little village. Subse-quently the remaining two companies were brought up. But the Manchester on the right, who should have joined in the attack, could not get forward ; it proved impossible to establish communication with Brigade and Division under the enemy's heavy shellfire ; and consequently it was impossible to obtain artillery support. Presently it became clear that all hope of pressing home the counter-attack must be abandoned. Nevertheless the 3rd Worcestershire clung to the northern edge of Rue du Marais throughout the day {B}, and checked by rifle-fire any attempt of the enemy to advance. After dark came orders to retire. The line of the 5th Division had been adjusted to run with that of the 3rd Division on the left and to that new line the weary troops fell back unpursued.

The 3rd Worcestershire were then definitely attached to the 5th Division, and the companies took their place in the line of that Division. The position which they entered had already been partially prepared. All night officers and men laboured at the trenches, and the work was continued during the following day (23rd), under constant sniping and shell-fire from the enemy.

{B} During the day the 3rd Worcestershire lost 4 killed, together with Lieut. J. C. Pickersgio-Cunliffe and 13 men wounded.

Regards Doug

• 2 weeks later...

I would be very grateful for anything on Lieutenant-Colonel Charles Strangways LINTON DSO*, MC, 4th Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment, killed at Cambrai on November 20th 1917. I would be especially interested in an account of the battalion's movements and actions under his command, and would happily pay any photocopying/scanning costs.

Many thanks.