Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshire Regmnt War Diaries

steve fuller

Hey Pals

Other than two months of the 4th Btn, the following Diaries are available on my web site, so either help yourself by following the link in my signature or ask here & I will be happy to check through for you!

1st Btn. 1914 to 1919

2nd Btn. 1914 to 1919

4th Btn. 1916 to 1919

1/5th and 2/5th Btns. 1915 to 1919

6th Btn. 1915 to 1918

7th Btn. 1915 to 1918

8th Btn. 1915 to 1918

:D

Hello Steve,

I thought I might take you up on your kind offer.

I'm tracking the service of a few soldiers in the Bedfordshire Regiment named "Camp" and was hoping you might have details of what was going on at the time of their death. I don't hold out much hope that they are actually mentioned, being O/Rs.

417262 (or 4/7262) Pte. Charles Camp 1/Bedfordshire KIA 19/04/1915

39555 Pte. Albert John 8/Bedfordshire KIA 22/06/1917

14076 Pte. Stanley Beale Camp 2/Bedfordshire KIA 18/15/1915

14773 Pte. William Camp 7/Bedfordshire KIA 20/09/1915.

These two may prove harder to track down:

9127 Sgt. Alfred Albert Camp 2/Bedfordshire DOW 19/06/15

13740 Pte. Frederick Camp 8/Bedfordshire DOW 11/11/15.

Interesting that virtually all of them died in 1915. If I had to prioritize, then the soldier I'd really like to know more about would be Charles Camp.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Regards,

Matthew

Hi Matthew

Ill have a trawl through tonight, but (as you rightly say) the OR part usually leads to no info! Would you like me to list the entries for / around the dates in question, so you can see what happened when they fell?

I know already that I only have the 1st diary for May 1915, so wont be able to help with that one, which ironically is the main one youre interested in.

Interesting about the 1915 indeed. My relatives all seem to have fallen or been wounded out in 1918, so I can understand the interest in the number aspect. Makes you wander if theres anything else to learn about the numbers doesnt it?

Get back to you soon :)

Matthew

2nd Beds first. Sorry, but no mention of them by name, have even checked the whole year in case they came up in operational orders etc, but not a sausage Im afraid.

14076 Pte. Stanley Beale Camp 2/Bedfordshire KIA 18/15/1915(Assumed this should be MAY)

16 May 1915

7th Division attack at 3 a.m. 21st Inf.Bde. in reserve. After successful assault of enemy trenches by 20th & 22nd Bdes. 'D' & 'A' Coys. after supporting assault with covering fires, with machine Guns under 2nd Lt.W.H.GEORGE on right flank, occupied old German trench consolidating it & turning it into fire trench, for our use. 'A' Coy. under Capt.HUTTON WILLIAMS, 'D' Coy. under Maj.J.MACKENZIE, V.C. these companies did very good work, and were exposed to considerable shell fire. Working parties under 2nd Lt.F.POWELL & 2nd Lt. N.DABELL from 'B' & 'C' Coys. respectively, did excellent work, while being heavily shelled, making communications from our old front line trench. No.7925 Sergt. E.EUSTACE 'B' Coy. with l/Cpl.COLEMAN, 2nd Border Regt. showed great gallantry in bringing in wounded to the cover of our trenches, while under heavy shell fire. These 2 N.C.Os. brought in over 50 wounded, and gained the praise of several officers, on the spot. Battn. was heavily shelled all day, & night. Had some casualties - 2nd Lt.R.A.B.ORLEBAR 2nd Bedfordshire Regt. & 2nd Lt.B.WHITEHOUSE, 3rd L.N.Lancashire Regt., attached 2nd Bedf. R. wounded.

17 May 1915

2.30 a.m. Orders received to withdraw Bn. to reserve trenches. Movement completed by 3.45 a.m. About 1.30 p.m. Bn. received orders to be ready to move at shortest notice. Ref.Map 1/10000. ILLIES-VIOLAINE[sic]-FESTUBERT.

About 3 p.m. orders received to move Bn. into position in rear of old German Fire trench between L1-L2 in order to make an attack in conjunction with 4 Cameron Highs: on left, on points L10, L11, L8 to K5. Battn. frontage from L8-K5. 'B' Coy. on right, under Capt. H.E.HUNTRISS, 2 Bedf.R. 'C' Coy. on right, under Bt.Lt.Col.E.I.de S.THORPE, 2 Bedf.R. were detailed as the two leading coys: & formed up between L1 & L2. 'A' Coy. under Capt.W.HUTTON-WILLIAMS 3rd E.Sur.R. attached 2 Bedf.R. & 'D' Cou. under Maj.J.MACKENZIE, V.C. 2 Bedf.R. formed up in rear of old British trench, in support, moving up into new line as places were vacated by 'B' & 'C' Coys. About 7.30 p.m. 'B' and 'C' Coys. advanced to the Attack, on right of 4th Camerons, with 2 sections of Bombthrowers under 2nd Lt.W.J. STONIER, 2nd Bedf.R. working on the right down the communication trench towards K.4. & K.5. 'B' & 'C' Coys. on vacating the trenches to the assault were met by heavy shrapnel, machine gun & rifle fire & Coy.Q.M.S. (Actg.Coy.S.M.) was killed as he climbed over the parapet. (On 22nd May, official information was received, that this N.C.O. had been granted a commission as 2nd Lt. in the 2nd Cheshire Regt).

By about 9 p.m. when the whole Battn. less 2 platoons of 'A' Coy. which were kept in reserve by the C.O. (Major C.C.ONSLOW) had been launched to the attack, information was received by the C.O. that Lt.Col.THORPE had called a halt, as he was unable to collect a party sufficiently strong to assault the German position, owing to the darkness, and many serious obstacles, in the nature of ditches varying from 2 to 5 ft. in depth, and from 2 to 5 ft. in width filled with water, running diagonally as well as parallel to our advance, which had broken all cohesion in the attacking force; and also that he could not gain touch with the Cameron Highrs: Just at this time too, 2nd Lt.W.J.STONIER reported having arrived at K.4, & meeting with opposition in that neighbourhood, his party had expended all their bombs and had themselves, with a small party under 2nd Lt.C.M.BREWER, been bombed and trench mortared from the direction of K.5. & had had to retire into the communication trench, which they continued to hold. A portion of the Battn. misunderstanding Lt.Col.THORPE'S order, had in the meantime retired on to our original position. under these circumstances the C.O. reformed the whole of the Battn. in the original position, from which the attack was launched (L1 and L2), with the exception of the party in the Communication trench; and informed the Brigadier General H.WATTS how matters stood. During these operations Maj.J.MACKENZIE V.C. was killed & the following officers were wounded: - Capt.H.E.HUNTRISS, Lt.A.E.KUHN, 2nd Lts. A.GROVER, R.S.LARDNER, F.V.PARKER & R.H.BOYS. During the night information was received that a portion of the 4th Camerons had succeeded in entering the enemy trench. Several men were drowned in the ditches, referred to above

18 May 1915

About 3 a.m. telephonic instructions were received from the Brigadier, that the Battn. should advance along the communication trench towards K.4 & K.5, and take the German trench from that flank, to join up with the Cameron Highlanders, who were said to be still in possession of a portion of the trench. A supply of Bombs having been received, the bomb throwers with 'D' Coy. under 2nd Lt.C.H.BREWER*; with 'A' and 'C' coys. in that order, in support, under Capt.HUTTON WILLIAMS, & Bt.Lt.Col.E.I.de S.THORPE respectively, were ordered to make their way along the communication trench to K.5, to gain possession of that point & work along German trench towards L/8. to meet the Cameron Highlanders. 'B' Coy. under 2nd Lt.F.POWELL was kept in reserve. While this attack was developing, the C.O. received authentic information, that the party of Cameron Highs: who has gained the enemy trench, had been bombed out and retired thence during the night. This information, and also the fact that, the Bn. was very weak numerically, was telephoned by the C.O. to the Brigadier, who replied that if the C.O. who [sic] absolutely convinced that the Cameron Highs: were no longer holding any of the German trench, he should stop the further advance of the Battn. and make good the ground occupied. The Bn. therefore consolidating K.4 & the communication trench, holding it with the bombthrowers & 'D' 'A' & 'B' coys. 'C' coy. & B remaining behind L1-L2. During the advance towards K4, Capt.W.HUTTON-WILLIAMS was killed and about 6 men killed or wounded crossing the gap in the trench which was swept by Machine Gun & rifle fire. The Battn. remained in this position all day, being heavily shelled by H.E. & shrapnel the whole time. *This party was under Capt.C.C.FOSS, D.S.O. who had partially reconnoitred the route.

Night of 17-18 May 1915

During the night 17th-18th May, 2nd Lt.B.H.WADDY 3rd Gloucester Regt. attached, who had been doing excellent scouting and reconnaissance work, had to be removed from the firing line by order of the M.O. & was admitted to Hospital. During this night too, the Battn. had the misfortune to lose the services of Lieut.D.G.WATSON, R.A.M.C. the M.O. who had been most assiduous in tending & removing wounded from the firing line in a conspicuously gallant manner, under heavy shell fire, being severely wounded by shrapnel on his way back to his dressing station. 7 stretcher bearers were also either killed or wounded.

19 May 1915

Bellerive The Battn. was relieved by one company of the 2nd Yorkshire Regt. about 3 a.m. and returned to billets in RUE de'EPINETTE.

Strength of Battn. 8 officers 417 other ranks. (1 Lt.A.E.KUHN died of wounds on 20.5.15). 1 Sick. Other ranks 45 killed, 68 missing, 276 wounded, (of whom 4 died).

More to follow ...

9127 Sgt. Alfred Albert Camp 2/Bedfordshire DOW 19/06/15

Looks like he would have received his wound between 16th and 17th June, as you will see in the diary. 18th & 19th June lists all Officer casualties, and purely records they arrived at billets. No mention of actions, wounded etc during those 2 days.

16 Jun 1915

New Cut and Scottish Trench 12.17 A.M. Attack postponed to 1.30 P.M. [sic?] 12.59 A.M. Attack postponed till 5.30 A.M. & orders received for Battalion to relieve 2 Wilts Regt. who were still holding the trenches. B Company was stopped at 1.20 A.M. The first two platoons were getting in position to assault & were in front of NEW Trench & SCOTTISH trench. The relief of the 2 Wilts Regt. was carried out. B Company, with it left in touch with the Grenadier Guards (20th Bde). holding NEW trench 2 Machine guns also in this trench on the left A Company, in Scottish trench in touch with 2 R.S.F. on right, on left with D Company also, in Scottish trench; this Company was in touch with 2 Gordon Highlanders (20 Bde) on the left. Battalion H.Q. C Company & 2 Machine Guns in Reserve in NEW CUT trench. 3.55 A.M. Detailed orders for the 5.30 am attack received. 3.58 A.M. Attack postponed until further orders. 8.48 A.M. Instructions received that when the attack was next ordered that Battalion was to develop flank attack along line I 4 - I 3 - I 9. It was uncertain after this time whether the attack was likely to take place or not. 3.25 (approx) Orders received that an attack was to take place at 4.45 p.m. Battalion ordered to "attack I 4 from the North and assist the R.S.F. as opportunity offers". R.S.F. first objective was German 1st Line trench from H 3 to I.4 (inclusive) 4.45 p.m. the company advanced in successive platoons from the right, No 8 platoon under 2 Lieut.C.W.MACFIE. 3rd S.Staffs.R. leading. All the platoons entered the CRATER at the junction of SUNKEN Road trench & the Trench, once German at this time unoccupied & in a bad state of repair. The Company came under a considerable volume of rifle & Machine Gun fire as it topped the lip of the CRATER. A spirited fight at close range took place in the CRATER. The company formed a line in the crater as they were not able to push forward on account of the hostile bombs. No 4/7296 Corporal MILNE distinguished himself by throwing back all those that landed near him into the German trenches until he was wounded. Lieut.F.POWELL seeing that his company was suffering heavy losses (2 officers Killed C.M.S. [sic] wounded 7 nearly 50% of other ranks. Lt POWELL was twice wounded himself) & some German reinforcements coming up; and also on account of there being no sign of Regiment which was attacking on the right or of our bomb throwers - gave the order for the Company to withdraw to their former trenches. This was carried out in good order under the direction of 2 Lieut R.B.GIBSON. 3rd S.Staffs.R. attached 2 Bedf.R. the only officer of the company left. No 9638 Corporal T.GREEN with about 9 men was on the left of & slightly separated from the rest on the Company. He saw the Company go back & remained a while longer but seeing he was in danger of being surrounded & that the Germans appeared to be getting ready for a counter attack, he withdrew his men safely, bringing in a wounded man himself, he went out later in the evening & brought some more wounded in. The two Machine guns in NEW Trench on the left of the line held by our company under No 7784 Sergeant W.MART & 9969 L/Sergt.W.WILSON availed themselves of the good targets offered by the Germans in a communication trench 7 also when they were firing at B Company in & withdrawing from the CRATER. Sergt MART was wounded but refused to leave his guns inflicted heavy losses on the Germans. At least two German officers were noticed among those killed, one of them was wearing a brown uniform. 5.58 p.m. Situation was as follows. D Company in NEW TRENCH. A. remains of B & C Company in SCOTTISH trench. 8 p.m. (approx) C Co relieved D Company B Co withdrawn to NEW CUT trench A & D Companies in SCOTTISH TRENCH. R.E. put up wire in front of NEW TRENCH.

17 Jun 1915

Canal de la Lawe The morning & afternoon passed very quietly. The C.O. went to Divisional H.Q. with Brigadier & other C.Os. 8.50 p.m. A heavy bombardment by the Germans commenced. On account of the red lights sent up by them it is thought they expected an attack. This bombardment ceased after about 20 minutes. After an interval of about a quarter of an hour, another & equally heavy bombardment commenced which lasted about an hour. During the afternoon orders had been received that 2 companies in support could be withdrawn & that the Battalion was being relieved by 2 companies of the Warwickshire Regt (22 Bde). B & D Companies were withdrawn to the canal during the afternoon. The relief of the trenches was being carried out when the first bombardment commenced, but although shells were falling heavily on the fire trenches & communication trenches the relief was not stopped although somewhat delayed.

Casualties for period 15-17 June.

Killed. 5 officers & 18 other ranks

Wounded. 7 officers & 72 other ranks.

Missing 27 other ranks.

(All Officer casualties are listed in detail, but no NCO’s)

More to follow ...

Just a "nice" little extra piece for you Mathew. Your men would likely have heard this speech:

"12 Apr 1915

The Brigade was inspected by Field Marshal Sir John French, G.C.B., O.M., G.C.V.O., K.C.M.G. Commander in Chief, British Expeditionary Force at 3.30 p.m. outside ESTAIRES. The following were also present G.O.C. 1st Army G.O.C. 4 Corps Brigadier General Lawford, Commanding 7 Division during temporary absence of G.O.C. 7 Div: Brigadier General H.Watts C.B., C.M.G. Cmdg 21 Inf Bde. The C in C addressed each Battalion of the Brigade in turn.

"Men of Bedfordshire - I have come here today to tell you how much indebted I am to you for your recent work. I know what you have done. I know the losses you have suffered. I need not go into the detail of the part you played in the three days battle at NEUVE CHAPELLE. But I know no Battalion pushed forward with more gallantry than you did. As you are the first Battalion of this Division, I want you to repeat & let it be known throughout the Division how well you all have done, as I don't want to repeat myself. I congratulate your Divisional General, General Capper, whom I am sorry is not able to be here today, and you on the able leading of your gallant Brigadier, General Watts, the work you have done has been of the first importance. In the first place you have won ground which will be invaluable in our future operations. You will realize - being intelligent men - that we are fighting the Germans on two fronts. In these attacks it is not so much the ground we gain but the fact that we tie the enemy to the ground in front of us and prevent him sending troops against the Russians on the East and also enable the French to make successful attacks further South. In fact we all help each other. Besides being a gain in ground, it was a great moral gain. For you have shown the enemy that you can beat him whenever you chose and I know when the time comes you will do it again. I want every officer, Non commissioned officer and man of this Regiment to feel that I give them my personal thanks for the splendid work that they have done".

Shaking hands with the C.O.; Major J.Mackenzie V.C., Sir John French added "I congratulate you". Number on parade 24 officers 779 other ranks."

(Major Mackenzie V.C. was killed 17th May & his body recovered 26th May, so may have fallen "with" your chap???)

7th Beds now. Again, no mention of him by name, so heres the diary entries. No specific actions to report, but active trench lines it seems.

14773 Pte. William Camp 7/Bedfordshire KIA 20/09/1915.

"20-9-15

3.30am Morning Tactical Report German seen in trench N of point 486 young about 19 wearing grey forage cap & uniform at 6.45 enemy fired 4 bombs at 91 trench. Our guns replied. 8pm sound of transport heard on our left. Also humming noise like a Zeppelin. enemy bombed our trenches with rifle grenades at 10.25pm. We replied with bombs from catapult. Situation unchanged. Mr.Hine wounded slightly while out on patrol duty. Probably only be away two or three days 20-9-15 3.0pm Evening Tactical Report Allied aeroplane shelled by enemy over FRICOURT at 8.0am this morning. Four rifle grenades were fired into a house behind 87 trench. Situation otherwise quiet.

21-9-15

6.34pm Regt relieved by Middlesex & returns to MEAULTE and is billeted there

Total casualties up to date OR 10 killed, 7 wounded, 1 Officer wounded."

FYI, the likes of Raster Scanning hold a huge amount of info on the 7th (in case you havent spoken already).

More to follow ...

8th Beds.

13740 Pte. Frederick Camp 8/Bedfordshire DOW 11/11/15.

Nothing specific again. If he was wounded on the 11th, seems that it was during the relief. There are a few Pte’s mentioned, but unfortunately I have a gap between 16 Oct & 8 November. Chunks of this diary were unreadable, as if they had been very wet at some stage in their life, but if memory serves, the sections mentioned just weren’t there at all. Have also checked back to their arrival in August, & cant see him at all I’m afraid. Nevertheless, here’s what I can offer:

"8 Nov 1915

Trenches Pumping & cleaning trenches. Lieut G.BREWSTER slightly wounded in the temple at duty No.3/8766 Pte.E.Tingey killed by rifle bullet. Patrol reports enemy front line trench in part of B.14 not held by enemy

9 Nov 1915

Pumping, draining & cleaning trenches No.19608 Pte.A.E.TOMS wounded by bullet No.16755 Pte.A.C.Reed wounded by bullet No.19922 Pte.F.UNDERWOOD wounded rifle bullet. LA.BRIQUE dump was heavily shelled during the evening whilst rations were being dumped, all rations were got up to the trenches there were no casualties. Very wet day

10 Nov 1915

Trenches very wet & muddy work done pumping water out & repairing trenches where they had fallen in dump at LA BRIQUE dump heavily shelled during the morning.

11 Nov 1915

Trenches still very wet & muddy 2nd Lieut.Glenfield M.G.Officer 9th Norfolks killed by shell in front line trenches whilst handing over to our M.G. Officer Raining most of the day."

Oh well, not one of them got a mention & I have none of them on my database either. Sorry.

39555 Pte. Albert John 8/Bedfordshire KIA 22/06/1917

(Hulluch Trenches)

"19 Jun 1917

Trenches. relief complete 1.50 am. Quiet day. Casualties - nil.

20 Jun 1917

Trenches. Enemy activity normal. Hostile artillery activity in afternoon and machine gun & rifle fire at night. Our attempt to lay & fire Bangalore torpedoes under enemy wire failed owing to alertness of enemy and entanglement of leads. Casualties nil.

21 Jun 1917

Trenches. Enemy activity normal. At 3.0 am, 22nd inst enemy opened up with concentrated intense mortar fire on B & C Coys front. At 3.10 am 'S.O.S.' signal was observed to go up from our front line which was repeated at Bn. H.Q. and sent through our Bde. by telephone to the artillery. A small party of 1 offr & 15 Germans managed to enter our front line between two of our posts under cover of smoke & darkness. They surprised and believed to have captured nine of our men. Also a patrol of 1 NCO & 2 men who were in No man's land when the bombardment commenced are missing. Enemy only managed to enter our front line for a few minutes although he kept his intense barrage on till 3.45 am.

22 Jun 1917

In trenches. Enemy made much use of his trench mortars on right coy. His aircraft active but none crossed our line. Casualties 5 O.R. killed, 7 O.R. wounded, 12 O.R. missing. 2/Lt H.J.Weller wounded.

23 Jun 1917

In trenches. Enemy much less aggressive. Much movement observed in his back areas. Casualties 1 O.R. killed, 7 O.R. wounded.

8th Bedfordshire Regt. Field State (end of) June 1917

Killed 22 O.R. Wounded 5 Off. 53 O.R. Missing 12 O.R. Sick to Hospital 69 Sick from Hospital 47

Strength of A Company 13 Officers 185 Other Ranks

Strength of B Company 4 Officers 199 Other Ranks

Strength of C Company 3 Officers 180 Other Ranks

Strength of D Company 6 Officers 204 Other Ranks

Total 26 Officers 768 Other Ranks"

Bit disappointing Mathew, but I hope the entries are useful if nothing else.

Cheers for now

Steve

Oh well, not one of them got a mention & I have none of them on my database either. Sorry.

[

Bit disappointing Mathew, but I hope the entries are useful if nothing else.

Cheers for now

Steve

Steve, thank you very much for taking the time to post those entries in full. It's very useful indeed in setting the backdrop to their deaths. One day when I actually get to the N.A. I'll have to look up their service records.

I've just begun the process of researching all the soldiers who served named "Camp" so this is very helpful.

And thanks for the tip on 7th Bedfords and Raster Scanning. I haven't made contact yet.

Somehow I missed another entry:

14997 Pte. Frank Camp 1/5th Bedfordshire DOW 29/03/1918

As there were only 61 individuals with the surname "Camp" who died in WW1 in total, that's quite a large percentage serving in the Bedfordshire Regiment. Incidentally I've catalogued 20 "Camp"s in the Bedfordshires.

Hopefully you'll get lucky with the next "customer" and hit the jackpot.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Regards,

Matthew

Steve,

May I take up your offer ......????

I have the medals to a 1st Beds man who died of wounds on 20th April 1915.

His details are as follows:

WEBB - Henry William

No 8810

I had understood he may have died as a result of wounds received in the attack on Hill 60 at around that time from the research I have got from the LLT and oner site s to date - he may in fact have received the wounds in the same action as Charles Camp who was KIA the previous day.

If there is any mention of him in the diaries I would be delighted to hear from you. He landed in France with the 1st on 16th Aug 1914 - an original Contemptible !

Many thanks in advance - I tried to post earleir but it doesn't seem to have registered ?

James

Mathew

Next customer - like that!! :lol: . Id be interested in any beds soldier info you come across btw, for my own "database". Definitely contact Raster & bedfordyeoman Matthew, they are VERY expert in the Regmnt, having spent many more years than me researching them. Raster is building for a book, as i understand it & is truly loaded with things (now Ive said that, you KNOW he'll draw a blank!!!! Soz Raster!). Theres also a book called "The Shiney Seventh" by M. Deacon at the Bedford Co. Records Office that came out last year. May be worth mailing Nigel at the Beds CRO. Let me know if you havent got his address & will see what i can do.

Anyway, to the important stuff. No mention of him, as usual. They attacked Mezerieh & Mejdel Yaba (aka Hill 489) on 12th March (below), but no other actions are noted in the diary or "History of 1/5th Bedfords". If he wasnt wounded on the 12th, he must have picked his injury up during holding the line activities.

1/5th War Diary

12 Mar 1918 Bn paraded at 0530 and marched to point from which the attack was to start, accompanied by Coy. Limbers, Pack Animals and SAA Limbers. The attack commenced at 0745 proceeded by Artillery Fire. Our objectives were taken without opposition and without casualties. A heavy storm came on during the attack making observation very difficult. 0900 At about 0900 the 1/4th Northampton Regt and 1/10th London Regt passed through our line to resume the attack. About this time PT.489 was slightly shelled by the enemy, one shell bursting near a group of our men (A Coy.) and wounding six. 1/4th Northampton Regt gained their objective without opposition. 1/10th London met with some resistance at MEDJEL YABA but after a bombardment by the Artillery the place was taken by 1230. During this period the Bn had moved to KH DIKERIN. Here, during [sic] the afternoon a 2nd Line was formed by B C D Coys, A Coy with Bn HQ in Reserve. Blankets & water were brought up by camels. The Limbers were unable to reach H.Q. owing to the rocky ground. Whilst standing on the Plain they were bombed by enemy aeroplane, 4 Bombs being dropped. 2 Mules were Killed, 3 men wounded. A dump was formed in a Wadi near Bde H.Q. During the night the work on the 2nd Line was begun. The ground being too rocky for entrenching, the defences were made of sangars. Orders received to relieve 1/4th Northampton Regiment

13 Mar 1918 During morning roads and paths were made to Coys. C.O. Adjt., and Coy Comdrs went round the line held by 1/4th Northampron Regiment. Immediately after dinner (1300) relief of 1/4th Northampton Regt, in the Right Section 162 Bde Line, was begun. relief was complete by 1600. Distribution of Coys now is C Coy. on Right. B Coy. in Centre. D Coy. on Left and A Coy. aBn. H.Q. in Reserve. Patrols were sent out during night to WADI RABAH and found all clear.

14 Mar 1918 During the night a Platoon from D Coy. salvaged about 100 shells, these were probably left by a mountain gun Battery which is known to have been somewhere in the vicinity. Work on roads was carried out by A Coy. The Coys in the line worked on their defences (sangars). Just before dusk it was reported by the Outram Rifles, on our right, that the enemy were concentrating in front of C Coy. but a patrol which was immediately sent out could find no trace of the enemy. At the same time one of our 'planes was dropping lights and firing tracer bullets about 1500 yds to the N. of the WADI RABAH. The 'plane did not leave until quite dark. Work on Roads and defences were continued in the evening. Patrols were sent our to WADI RABAH at dusk and returned about 2100 having found all clear of enemy.

15 Mar 1918 A further 100 shells were salvaged by D Coy. during the night. Sniper were [sic] sent out in the morning to remain out all day. The day was very dull the clouds hanging on the hills making observation very bad. Heavy Rain fell in the evening. Patrols were sent our at dusk, but found no sign of enemy

16 Mar 1918 Heavy Rain in the early morning. Major C.R.James, Capt.F.B.Hobbs & Lieut.W.A.Shaw MC, R.S.M.Milton MC, DCM, C.S.M.Chandler Sgts Sapsford, Sharpe, Cpl.Ball D.C.M's., Sgt.Marlow, Ptes Halfpenny, Andrews M.M's proceeding to YAZUR for presentation of decorations by the Duke of Connaught. Usual patrols were sent out in evening. Very heavy Rains. One Arab boy wandering in our immediate front was brought in and sent to Bde.

17 Mar 1918 Heavy rains. Work on posts continued. Defence Orders published. Patrol left our line as usual at dusk.

18 Mar 1918 2 Turks gave themselves up after being fired at by a Listening Post of B Coy. 2 Arabs were also brought into our lines & sent to Bde.

19 Mar 1918 Slight Rain in morning. Enemy aircraft active. usual patrols & snipers went out. Patrols distributed propaganda

20 Mar 1918 No Rain. Weather a great deal warmer. Enemy aircraft active. Front Line slightly shelled by 5.9. No casualties. usual patrols went out.

21 Mar 1918 Situation Quiet. 2 officers and 13 O.Ranks proceeded on leave to Egypt. Usual patrols & snipers

22 Mar 1918 Enemy Aircraft active one 'plane came right over our portion of line presumably taking photographs. Fired at by M.Gs & A.A. without result

23 Mar 1918 Special Patrol of 1 officer and 20 Other ranks proceeded towards Wadi Rubal at 0400 and returned at 0530. Communion Service at Battn H.Q. at 0900

24 Mar 1918 Very heavy hail storm in afternoon. Usual patrols & snipers sent out.

25 Mar 1918 Patrols & snipers as usual. One of our agents came into our lines & was sent to Bde.

26 Mar 1918 Patrol reconnoitred approaches to KH BUREID. Enemy Artillery active on our front line. 2 Arabs and one boy found wandering in our lines with two donkeys, sent to Bde.

27 Mar 1918 - Kurnet el Haramiyeh Orders for the advance of the line issued. We advanced our line to KURNET EL HARAMIYEH and M.27.c.d. New line occupied 1930 which was consolidated & wired during night.

28 Mar 1918 At 0700 enemy snipers ejected our day occupation from KH BUREID. Enemy Aircraft very active one driven to ground by our Airmen

29 Mar 1918 Snipers took up positions & came into action with enemy Picquet. Usual shelling by our Artillery. Signalling observed from MULEBBIS and answering signals in enemy's line could be seen "

Good luck Matthew. Speak to you again.

Steve

Sorry Matthew, found the diary after all that!! What a twit I am! Post coming ...

Hi James

I only have May from 1915 Im afraid. No mention there, or in 1914, or in my database sorry to say. When I get the rest of 1915, Ill let you know what i find.

Do you know where he was from? I have seen the name before, although Im sure it wasnt that rare, but just cant place it. If from Heath & Reach / Leighton Buzzard, may be summat to do with the local paper perhaps? Could you let me know where he was from? May jog my memory????

As with Matthew, its worth contacting Raster Scanning, bedfordyeoman and maybe Nigel Lutt at the CRO in Bedford too.

Cheers James - soz I cant help mate

Steve

Just found the diary for the 1st Btn, so am typing it up as I speak.....

Edited by steve fuller

Matthew,

Might I ask your interest in the Camp name ? You may be able to assist me !

The only details I have beyond what you'd find in the "usual" sources is:

F Camp 13740 8th battalion - was shown in December 1915 newspapers as wounded only.

AA Camp 9127 - has an entry in the National Roll of Honour for Luton as AA Cain.

Most of the Camps were from Luton area, I believe.

Regards

David

Hello Steve,

I thought I might take you up on your kind offer.

I'm tracking the service of a few soldiers in the Bedfordshire Regiment named "Camp" and was hoping you might have details of what was going on at the time of their death. I don't hold out much hope that they are actually mentioned, being O/Rs.

417262 (or 4/7262) Pte. Charles Camp 1/Bedfordshire  KIA 19/04/1915

39555 Pte. Albert John 8/Bedfordshire  KIA 22/06/1917

14076 Pte. Stanley Beale Camp 2/Bedfordshire  KIA 18/15/1915

14773 Pte. William Camp 7/Bedfordshire  KIA 20/09/1915.

These two may prove harder to track down:

9127 Sgt. Alfred Albert Camp 2/Bedfordshire  DOW 19/06/15

13740 Pte. Frederick Camp 8/Bedfordshire  DOW 11/11/15.

Interesting that virtually all of them died in 1915.  If I had to prioritize, then the soldier I'd really like to know more about would be Charles Camp.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Regards,

Matthew

Steve

Could you kindly check out 1st Bn on 8th October 1917

Reason for my interest is this guy on my local Mem.

Name: BUSH

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Bedfordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 08/10/1917

Service No: 8186

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVII. C. 13.

Cemetery: HOOGE CRATER CEMETERY

Thanks for the kind offer

Glyn

James

Heres the April 1915 1st Btn entries:

12-16 Apr 1915

Battn in trenches. Work carried out day & night in reconnoitring old disused French & German trenches & in opening up communication trenches, preparing dugouts etc. to shelter extra Battns about to be brought up for attack on Hill 60

17 Apr 1915

Headquarters 13th Inf. Bde arrived & took over command of sector. R.W.Kent Regt. & K.O.S.B. arrived & went into dugouts & part of front trench. 2 companies of Bedfords withdrawn into support to make room for 13th Bde. 7 pm. precisely, 6 mines under Hill 60 exploded in 3 groups of two each. Heavy Artillery bombardment commenced, & hill 60 rushed by British (R.W.K)

18 Apr 1915

Enemy counterattacked during early morning. Casualties considerable. 2 Companies Bedfords recalled in afternoon: & counter attack on Hill 60 (part of which had been lost by 13th Bde) commenced at 6 pm. Line re-established on Hill 60. G.O.C. 13th Bde. handed over immediate control of sector to Lt.Colonel Griffith D.S.O. (Bedf.Regt.) & withdrew with staff to point about a mile in rear.

19 Apr 1915

Front line occupied in early morning by Bedfords & 1/East Surrey Regt. Work carried out under difficulties to consolidate position on Hill 60. Considerable shelling and bombing by enemy.

20 Apr 1915

Enemy counter attacked: tremendous bombardment carried out against Hill 60, & our trenches & supports. Enemy's heavy guns enfiladed position, other guns firing from various directions: bombardment all night.

Sorry about the confusion - found it in my notes after all that!! Duh :rolleyes:

Matthew

1st Btn War Diary

12-16 Apr 1915

Battn in trenches. Work carried out day & night in reconnoitring old disused French & German trenches & in opening up communication trenches, preparing dugouts etc. to shelter extra Battns about to be brought up for attack on Hill 60

17 Apr 1915

Headquarters 13th Inf. Bde arrived & took over command of sector. R.W.Kent Regt. & K.O.S.B. arrived & went into dugouts & part of front trench. 2 companies of Bedfords withdrawn into support to make room for 13th Bde. 7 pm. precisely, 6 mines under Hill 60 exploded in 3 groups of two each. Heavy Artillery bombardment commenced, & hill 60 rushed by British (R.W.K)

18 Apr 1915

Enemy counterattacked during early morning. Casualties considerable. 2 Companies Bedfords recalled in afternoon: & counter attack on Hill 60 (part of which had been lost by 13th Bde) commenced at 6 pm. Line re-established on Hill 60. G.O.C. 13th Bde. handed over immediate control of sector to Lt.Colonel Griffith D.S.O. (Bedf.Regt.) & withdrew with staff to point about a mile in rear.

19 Apr 1915

Front line occupied in early morning by Bedfords & 1/East Surrey Regt. Work carried out under difficulties to consolidate position on Hill 60. Considerable shelling and bombing by enemy.

Sorry for the confusion!!

Steve

Could you kindly check out 1st Bn on 8th October 1917

Reason for my interest is this guy on my local Mem.

Name: BUSH

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Bedfordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 08/10/1917

Service No: 8186

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVII. C. 13.

Cemetery: HOOGE CRATER CEMETERY       

Thanks for the kind offer

Glyn

Hi Glyn

Mentions Acting RSM Freer wounded on the 10th, but no Sgt Bush. The entry on the 10th about heavy shelling from 4th to 10th October looks like the best bet towards explaining how your man died. 1st Btn Diary entry reads:

"6-8 Oct 1917

A defensive system was made & a continuous Front line dug with Supports. C & B coys were in Front line with A & D in reserve in O.B.L. Communication trenches were dug back from Front line to O.B.L. Battn H.Q. situated in Buildings & PILLBOXES at J.21.d.05.30.

9 Oct 1917

15th Bde attacked POLDERHOEK CHATEAU with 1/Norfolks & 16/R.War R. The attack failed & they withdrew to their jumping off positions about 250 yds W. of CHATEAU

10 Oct 1917

Ridge Wood Battn was relieved by 7th Bttn K.R.R.Corps relief complete by 11.30 pm Battn withdrew to RIDGE WOOD. From the 4th to 10th The Battn was subjected to Heavy shelling.

Total casualties:

4 officers Killed 6 wounded

35 [ORs] Killed 97 wounded 4 missing"

Sorry Glyn - good luck!

Steve

No need to be sorry - Got more on him now than I had earlier.

Your time and effort is greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Glyn

Steve,

Thank you again for your time and help. It's greatly appreciated.

I'll shoot you over a copy of the Bedfordshire section of my "Camp" surname roll when it is more complete. Early days at present.

Regards,

Matthew

David,

Thank you for you additional information.

I've pm'd you with regard to your question, so as not to divert Steve's very useful thread.

Regards,

Matthew

No problem whatsoever guys. Glad to help :D

Would love to see the "Camps" spreadsheet when its done please Matthew!

Cheers

Steve

Do you have anything relating to the death of 2nd Lieutenant Chester Bishop Kydd, 3rd Bn., Bedfordshire Regiment, attached 7th Bn., who was killed while serving with ‘B’ Company on the 3rd May 1917.

Thanks in anticipation.

Carninyj

Steve

Do you have anything relating to the death of 2nd Lieutenant Chester Bishop Kydd, 3rd Bn., Bedfordshire Regiment, attached 7th Bn., who was killed while serving with ‘B’ Company on the 3rd May 1917.

Thanks in anticipation.

Carninyj

A few things actually, but I think you & Raster Scanning may have genned me up on him in the first place, so the 1st 2 para's are a brief summary!! If it was not you that told me, let me know & I will supply the full notes for you with pleasure.

2/Lt Kydd was gazetted 18th June 1915, in France from july 1915. KIA Cherisy 3/5/1917. Pte Gladwish 40533 earned a DCM staying with Lt Kidd in a shell hole after the attack & remained there for 3 days from memory?

2/Lt Kydd was in B Co - he was one of many killed/wounded by MG and

sniper fire as they lay trapped by a deep belt of uncut wire in front of Fontaine Trench. I believe only 2 of the officers came out of the attack unscathed.

B Company started in support of A and D, who started the attack in 4 lines. B Co was under Cpt Bull (from 12/10/1915, when he was Lt Bull), who was described as "one of the finest officers" after the attack.

7th Btn Diary

3-5-17

3.45 am The 18th Div. attacked CHÉRISY. The 54th Bd on R. 55th on L. 53rd Reserve. see app. The attack was supposed to take place at dawn Zero being 3.45 am. As a matter of fact it was not light enough to attack until 4.15 am. The barrage commenced badly, being irregular. the Batt. left their trenches before Zero & formed up splendidly, the advance started at Zero, they soon slightly lost direction the men being extended at about 12 paces could scarcely see each other. The Regt. on the left also lost direction & crowded to the Right, thus confusing our attack & causing a further loss of direction. Four Tanks were to be used to attack FONTAINE village. One was unable to start, another went but a short distance another one made its way down Wood Trench & then turned & came through our advancing lines, this added to the confusion & some groups retired to the first line again. They were reformed at once by their Officers & again advanced, the Barrage had however gone on & the Batt. was held up at FONTAINE Trench was [sic] was strongly defended, also the wire was thick and undamaged. They came under heavy M.G. fire from VIS en ARTOIS - CHÉRISY - FONTAINE TR. and WOOD TRENCH. Small detachments pushed forward to angle formed by FONTAINE Tr. and WOOD Tr. At this time the majority of the 55th Bd. had reached their first objective on the Left. the position of the Batt. about 10 am was in front of FONTAINE Tr. with their R. thrown back facing WOOD Trench. At this time the Leicesters on the Right had not made good WOOD Trench except a small portion at the Western end. Some groups of the 55th Bd. reached a portion of their second objective. About 11.30 the 14th Div. further to the Left commenced retiring, followed by the 55th Bd. & the Middlesex & some groups of the Bedfords, but about 1 company still remained in Shell holes in front of FONTAINE & WOOD Trenches when at mid day the troops on our left had all got back to the starting Trenches. 7.15 pm A new Barrage started, & 2 Coys NORTHANTS attacked on our frontage in which elements of the Batt. joined & which was covered by rapid fire from our advanced Troops, this however was not successful as the enemy put up an intense barrage & the wire in front could not be forced. The whole lot fell back to original front line & held that during the night being relieved early in the morning by the NORTHANTS taking over.

7th (S) Bn.Bedfordshire Regt. Officers proceeding into action on 3/5/17 & Casualties.

Lt.Col.G.P.Mills Commanding Officer

Capt.W.J.W.Colley Adjutant

2/Lt.H.B.Stewart Lewis Gun Officer

2/Lt.R.B.Rednall Sig. Officer wounded 3/5/17

Capt.K.H.Nelson Medical officer

2/Lt.S.C.Tremeer wounded 3/5/17 Died of wounds 17/5/17

2/Lt.R.J.Clarke wounded 3/5/17

2/Lt.J.J.Murray wounded 3/5/17

2/Lt.W.D.Oliver Jones wounded 3/5/17

Capt.W.H.Bull killed 3/5/17

2/Lt.H.Driver wounded (still at duty) 3/5/17

2/Lt.E.G.Pernett

2/Lt.C.B.Kydd killed 3/5/17

Capt.L.H.Keep

2/Lt.C.A.Lawrence

2/Lt.G.J.Luscombe killed in action 3/5/17

2/Lt.P.J.Reiss wounded 3/5/17

Capt.D.S.H.Keep

2/Lt.E.F.Piercy wounded 3/5/17

2/Lt.L.G.Angas killed 3/5/17

2/Lt.H.J.Cartwright wounded 3/5/17

2/Lt.E.St.Hilary Lingwood killed 3/5/17

Officers

Killed 5

Wounded 8

Died of Wounds 1

Other Ranks

Killed 19

Missing 48

Wounded 162

Died of Wounds 6

Missing believed Killed 4

Missing & Wounded 3 242

Few other diary pieces in addition:

18/11/1916. BATTALION ORDERS No.200

1475 DUTIES Orderly Officer for tomorrow. 2/Lieut. C.B.Kydd. "B" Company Next for Duty 2/Lieut R.B.Rednall, "C" Company

6-1-17

Coy. Training & Specialists Training pushed forward. 2/Lts Trewman & Kydd, Corpl.Mears, L/Cpl.Morris, L.Cpl.Hersted qualified as Bombing Instructors at 54th Bde.Bombing School.

14 - 17 March 1917

(Attacks against BIHUCOURT line and finally ACHIET le GRAND)

A Co was in support & Officers with 1st Line Transport included:

2/Lt.C.B.Kydd A Coy

Bois des Tailles 19-7-16

Fine day. Men given a rest to clean up after somewhat rough time in trenches. Nothing of importance occurred. Following Officers who joined the Battn. while in Maricourt were posted to Coys as stated:

Lieut.W.G.Lacey A Coy.

2/Lieut.H.F.Trewman B Coy.

2/Lt.T.E.adlam C Coy.

2/Lieut.I.H.M.Ross Taylor A Coy.

2/Lieut.C.B.Kydd B Coy. (etc...)

[This would have been after them taking the Pommieres Redoubt.]

Hope the extras are handy. :D

post-1637-1116451938.jpg

Carninyj

Just thinking out loud now, but check back in a few days. I say this as theres a good chance his name was spelt KIDD as well, so there may be extra entries with him in, but I need to "format" the diary to some degree to have a good look through for him. Will also pm you if I find anything else!

Cheers