Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Today's harvest with the diggers in Boezinghe

tammilnad

This is one for the fireplace collection, a gas grenade. The MOD men put on two pair of gloves to pick these up because they can cause cancer.

469775057_f13cc96701_o.jpg

This is one for the fireplace collection, a gas grenade. The MOD men put on two pair of gloves to pick these up because they can cause cancer.

Not for that!! but because they can sweat out the mustard gas and they can be full with cristals of gas >>>> big blisters.

The stupid guy (sorry) holding it, can have big burn blisters now if a few cristals touched his skin!!

Mustard gas can cause cancer, yes, but the blisters are more dangerous.

I have searched all day and I found it. Up to now there was only one snipershelmet kown to be in existence. The picture is of the one in the museum. It weighs 6.5 kilo's. The helmit is part of the KLA collection.

Talking to one of the leaders of the diggers he showed this picture of the helmet they had found a couple of weeks earlier. The find is extremely unique.

He also told me they had found the remains of two german snipers helmets but in very bad condition.

Please don't ask me where it is now, I suggest you make contact with the flanders field museum where I should immagine it will be displayed.

Frans

post-6844-1116189253.jpg

Its great to see how these dangerous items are handled, great Health & Safety !!

If they were found in the UK, Half the Town would be evacuated before they touched it !!!!!

:rolleyes:

Todya i had contact with the man of the MOD/DOVO (one of the ones on the pictures).

He told me that the Digger holding the gas shell has blisters now on his arm!!!

You see ammo is no joke!!! :angry:

Guest albrown

This is taken in the UK .Safety equipment comprised of Leather Gloves .High Vis Jacket .and Shower proof clothing..recovering live 3" HE and Phos mortar rounds

I have just come back from Patrick van Wanzeele's (man holding gass grenade) house, and I am pleased to say his arms are as clean as a whissle. Must have been somebody else.

Just to clarify the situation.

German sniper helmet nr.1 - is already at the Hooghe Crater Museum.

German sniper helmet nr.2 - is being preserved, but will end up in a museum.

Third helmet of which a picture is on a previous posting- being preserved and going to be displayed at the Flanders Field Museum for all to see. Classed as a historic find.

I have been informed that a new web site is going to be made in conjuction with the 'In Flanders Field Museum'.

I understand that none of the members of the Diggers are actually members of this forum, so therefore can't really defend themselves on any postings made.

The Belgian government who issue the licence to dig, The support of the town hall of Ieper and working together with the In Flanders Field museum seem to me that they are well thought of. They are bound by rules as well.

If you can get the opportunity to spend a day with these people I can highly recommend it. They made me very welcome and shared there great knowledge with me.

Frans

post-6844-1116245649.jpg

Good that Patrick has no blisters.

But it is still stupid to pick it up whitout gloves!

Getting down to the bottom of the 1915 trench.

471294437_a35fe02d1a_o.jpg

Might I ask what the recording strategy is for the site? Also where one might read reports of their work?

Might I ask what the recording strategy is for the site?  Also where one might read reports of their work?

I am sorry Martin I have not replied to this. Next week I am seeing Patrick and wil put your question's to him. I will come back to you as soon as possible.

Regards, Frans

Frans

Could we not post this stuff in the main heading rather than a place to play - not everyone looks in here and this is very interesting stuff.

Glyn

Frans

Could we not post this stuff in the main heading rather than a place to play - not everyone looks in here and this is very interesting stuff.

Glyn

Hello Glyn,

It is up to the Forum where they would like to put this material. I put it here because I was convinced that many people would be interested in what is done regarding excavations. They are given the opportunity to make a copy of the pictures and I don't feel to guilty of using to much space on the forum because in due time they can clean up this space.

If the members would like it, I can keep the forum updated with the excavations that are going on, and put more detail with the pictures.

There are foto's available of finds over the last year which have not been published. If people would like to see the bigger finds I wil be pleased to post them. One these finds was of course the german snipers helmet where still there is hardly any info on, next week I receive pictures of a flying pig they unearthed.

The picture below was taken about 200 yards away where a british heavy artillery batterie had stood. As you can see in some of the pictures the land is being prepared for development of the industrial estate.

469775125_bf314f5844_o.jpg

regards frans

Unique german snipers helmet. As far as we have been able to find out it is only the second one we know of. The first being in the KLA collection. If anybody knows anything more about the helmet, we would greatly appreciate any information, because we are a bit stumped.

The picture on the left shows how it came out of the ground. It was found at a depth of five meters, main reason for being so well preserved. The picture on the right is after being preserved.

post-6844-1116974979.jpg

Head on vieuw. You can see the space for the rifle and two very small slots for the eyes. We understand the helmet used with a protective armour plate for the rifle, would have made this soldier a very small target.

post-6844-1116976070.jpg

Martin,

As the diggers work under license and supervision of the V.I.O.E. I think their archives is the place where their reports end up. Besides, large parts of the terrain displayed in the pictures has allready been excavated by the V.I.O.E., I did part of my placement there last summer. Although I have to say that the finds in the trenches the diggers excavated are much richer than what we found, which was hardly anything.

If I am correct, than the terrain in the pictures will become industry zone in the near futur.

regards,

Bert

Martin,

As the diggers work under license and supervision of the V.I.O.E. I think their archives is the place where their reports end up. If I am correct, than the terrain in the pictures will become industry zone in the near futur.

Thanks Bert

Always interesting to know how these things are managed, particularly as I've worked with Marc and Mathieu in the past.

I know the site you mean if it's the industrial estate.

Best

Martin

Martin,

If I am correct, than the terrain in the pictures will become industry zone in the near futur.

regards,

Bert

That is correct Bert, most foto's in the posting are near to the canal. The helmet was found closer to where you were digging.

Regards, Frans

Very interesting pictures. Hopefully tammilnad will post future pictures for us. Cheers Neil.

I will do that with great pleasure, Frans

Frans

Very interesting pictures. Sorry I may have missed it, but what is your connection to the diggers. You should be official photographer at least.

Digging up old munitions is not a task I'd fancy, even with "gloves on".Some of them look dangerous even through the computer screen.

Let us see if you get any more pics, please.