Matron Miss E. Pugh Easton Hall Grantham

Sen?-Qrmr Miss L Staffurth Red Cross Aux. Hospital Holden House Boston

Qrmr Mrs E.F. Thompson Grantham Auxiliary Hospital

Miss D (late Com?t. V.A.D.) Welby Easton Hall Aux Grantham

Hope of some use,

Steve.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Steve,

Nice to see we were Mentioned in Dispatches.

do have any more info on what they did?

Mandy

The following are "mentioned" and the women subsequently died. If anyone has information as to the substance of the mention I should be pleased to have details.

Ellen Armstrong, QAIMNS

Annie Watson Bain, Order of St. John

Sophia Violet Barrett, VAD

Mary Cawston Bousfield, VAD

Anne Cooper, QAIMNS

Mary Agnes Doherty, QAIMNS

Margaret Jane Fortesque, CAMC

Frances Mary Hall, QAIMNS

Ada Marion Johnson, QAIMNS

Georgina Eliza Massie Law, civilian clerk

Margaret MacLeod, CAMC

Mary Bethia Marshall, QAIMNS

Jessie Mabel McDiarmid, CAMC

Mabel Lee Milne, TFNS

Nellie Teresa O'Neill, QMAAC

Katherine Agnes Lawrence Porter, AANS,

E.H. Routledge, QMAAC

Mae Belle Sampson, CAMC

Bertha Gavin Stevenson, YMCA

Jean Miles Walker, AANS

Hi Mandy,

I'm afraid that there is no further information about these ladies, which is a shame.

Regards,

Steve.

Margaret Jane Fortesque, CAMC, Jessie Mabel McDiarmid, CAMC, Mae Belle Sampson, CAMC were all killed when the Hospital Ship Llandovery Castle was sunk by a German submarine on July 27, 1918

marc

The following are "mentioned" and the women subsequently died. If anyone has information as to the substance of the mention I should be pleased to have details.

Ellen Armstrong, QAIMNS

Annie Watson Bain, Order of St. John

Sophia Violet Barrett, VAD

Mary Cawston Bousfield, VAD

Anne Cooper, QAIMNS

Mary Agnes Doherty, QAIMNS

Margaret Jane Fortesque, CAMC

Frances Mary Hall, QAIMNS

Ada Marion Johnson, QAIMNS

Georgina Eliza Massie Law, civilian clerk

Margaret MacLeod, CAMC

Mary Bethia Marshall, QAIMNS

Jessie Mabel McDiarmid, CAMC

Mabel Lee Milne, TFNS

Nellie Teresa O'Neill, QMAAC

Katherine Agnes Lawrence Porter, AANS,

E.H. Routledge, QMAAC

Mae Belle Sampson, CAMC

Bertha Gavin Stevenson, YMCA

Jean Miles Walker, AANS

Jim

I now that Mary Cawston Bousfield VAD was awarded a 2nd Class RRC LG 3 June 1919 P 6840

Regards

Peter

Jim

I now that Mary Cawston Bousfield VAD was awarded a 2nd Class RRC LG 3 June 1919 P 6840

Regards

Peter

I actually knew that but not the LG date and page number. Thank you. I rather like the simple, personal inscription on her headstone "Well done good and faithful servant".

Actually, I suspect that these Lincolnshire nurses working in the UK were not actually Mentioned in Despatches in the normal sense. They were almost certainly "brought to the notice of the Secretary of State" and their names will not be found in the London Gazette as will normal MiDs.

Norman

• 1 year later...

I've just discovered on this website that my cousin Mary Bousfield, a VAD, was awarded a 2nd class RRC LG ... P6840. But what do those initials stand for?

Gillian

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, I suspect that these Lincolnshire nurses working in the UK were not actually Mentioned in Despatches in the normal sense. They were almost certainly "brought to the notice of the Secretary of State" and their names will not be found in the London Gazette as will normal MiDs.

Norman

Not uncommon. I have a Victory Medal to N/S Caroline Green CAMC, whose papers reveal she was also "brought to the attention of". The only other case I know of in my collection is a CASC Private who was working in Records in England. Both died in Canada 1921-22.

• 7 months later...
West Lothian Courier
Friday August 16 1918

Scottish Nurses "Mentioned"

The names of the undermentioned ladies, among others, have been brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War, for nursing services rendered in connection with the war:
Miss B Anderson, Night Superintendent, Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour.
Miss E Hendry, Sister; Miss J M Lamont, Assistant Nurse; Miss A McDonald, Nurse; Miss J McLean, Sister; all of Bangour.
Miss M Anderson, Dalmeny House Hospital, Edinburgh.
Miss D M Murray, Carriden Auxiliary Hospital Bo'ness.

Tom

• 6 months later...

Jim Strawbridge said QUOTE: The following are "mentioned" and the women subsequently died. If anyone has information as to the substance of the mention I should be pleased to have details. END QUOTE

- is this still active?

I can give you a photo and a small detail or two on Bertha Gavin Stephenson if you still need/want them.

• 2 years later...

stumbled upon a note re nurse Mary Agnes Doherty (mentioned above) whilst browing the Irish Times archive.

Saturday December 9th 1916 :

"Sister Mary Agnes Doherty, daughter of Mr Philip Doherty ex RIC Magherafelt. Was nurse in Police Ward, Steeven's Hospital. Volunteered for service and was stationed in a general hospital in France where her work was of such a character that whe was mentioned in despatched by Sir John French. Afterwards received award of Royal Red Cross for devotion to duty. Went to Salonika where she contracted malaria; had returned to duty when she was struck down with dysentry to which she succumbed."

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=624622

1911 census for Ireland shows here working as a nurse in Leitrim :

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page..._Street/659857/

another entry in the Irish Times indicates that she was with the 29th General Hospital in Salonika. A brother was away on Active Service.

The Irish Times of 7th November 1921 indicates that a memorial tablet to the Irish Nurses who gaves their lives during the Great War was unveiled at the Garrison Church, Arbour Hill, Dublin.

Jim Strawbridge said QUOTE: The following are "mentioned" and the women subsequently died. If anyone has information as to the substance of the mention I should be pleased to have details. END QUOTE

- is this still active?

I can give you a photo and a small detail or two on Bertha Gavin Stephenson if you still need/want them.

Missed this. Two years late but never mind. Have written direct with contact details. Jim

• 9 years later...
On 06/12/2006 at 14:52, gillian h said:

I've just discovered on this website that my cousin Mary Bousfield, a VAD, was awarded a 2nd class RRC LG ... P6840. But what do those initials stand for?

Gillian

Just wondering if Gillian is still around on this forum and could tell me a bit more about cousin Mary Cawston Bousfield ???? 

M. 

I have just waded through the magazine "The First Aid and The St. John Ambulance Gazette" which is available on line for 1914 - 1920 to check on obituaries for women casualties. The Gazette lists those women "mentioned in dispatches" on a monthly basis and is a good start for researchers.

• 6 months later...
On 29/05/2019 at 10:51, Jim Strawbridge said:

I have just waded through the magazine "The First Aid and The St. John Ambulance Gazette" which is available on line for 1914 - 1920 to check on obituaries for women casualties. The Gazette lists those women "mentioned in dispatches" on a monthly basis and is a good start for researchers.

Jim - could you pls give me the link for that - I can't locate a link. Many thanks.

Edited to add: Is this it? https://issuu.com/museumoftheorderofstjohn/docs/first_aid_1912-1914

Edited by monkstown

16 hours ago, monkstown said:

Jim - could you pls give me the link for that - I can't locate a link. Many thanks.

Edited to add: Is this it? https://issuu.com/museumoftheorderofstjohn/docs/first_aid_1912-1914

That's the link. I did not find it easy navigating through the years until I discovered a little trick. The link that you have found is for 1912-1914. But say that you needed 1915 just change the ending to 1914-1916 and you will move on the the next batch of Gazettes - and so on. Easy to read once full screen is used.

• 2 years later...

On an ancestry medal index card area there are two ladies MID , or so the MID card says

1. White ,Miss A , Sister . Territorial Force Nursing Service , MID LG 15.6.16 page 5958

2. White , Sister ,Miss A  Territorial Force Nursing Service . MID 24.12.17 LG 24.12.17 page 13487

i cant find them in the LG but will keep looking

thanks for reading this

max

After a bit of searching I have Now located the LG entries.