Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Regiments in Great War (Volume 6)

Guest suzanne27

Guest suzanne27

I have a copy of this book covering the Service Battalions; 9th,10th,11th,13th & 15th in the Great War

Its by J W Burrows and has lots of detailed day by day accounts of the above mentioned units movements etc. Quite a few maps and photos etc. Very good for research purposes.

If anyone would like me to look anything up please get in touch.

Hi Suzanne,

Good to see you're offering to do look ups on the Essex Regiments. No need to ask where your interest comes from. I would like to add the volumes I own to yours so there is a wider basis for pals interested in the history and soldiers of all the Essex Regiments during the War:

Volume 1: 1st Battalion Essex Regiment;

Volume 2: 2nd Battalion Essex Regiment;

Volume 5: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th (Cyclist) Battalions.

Volume 6: the one you own.

I am in the process of scanning all these volumes as handling them intensively is not very good for their preservation in the long run, certainly not making photocopies of pages... :(

Volumes 1 and 2 are done, volume 5 halfway.

Do you have any other information on the Essex Regiments? Together with a friend of mine I'm trying to gather all that can be found on all regiments.

We hope to gather information at the Essex Regimental Museum and the National Archives as well.

Thanks for bringing these magnificent Regiments to our attention once more.

Michael

Hi Guys

For anyone who's intrested quickly go to Abebooks.com, type in Burrows as Author and Essex units as keyword and there is a copy of Vol 6 well underpriced at 38 pounds (prob 40 Pound inc P&P).

I paid 110 quid not too long ago.

If you buy it post here so i'm not made to look like a liar :)

Good Luck

Marc

Guest suzanne27
Hi Guys

For anyone who's intrested quickly go to Abebooks.com, type in Burrows as Author and Essex units as keyword and there is a copy of Vol 6 well underpriced at 38 pounds (prob 40 Pound inc P&P).

Good Luck

Marc

Guest suzanne27
Hi Guys

Good Luck

Marc

Hello Marc,

I saw the book a couple of weeks ago on Abebooks, I too was gutted as I also paid £120 for my copy, ah well easy come easy go!

There were one or two others available for around a hundred pounds as well though so I think we probably didn't get ripped off!

I got mine through Baggins Book Search couple of years ago, it's signed so could be why it was expensive.

Kind regards

Suzanne

You're definately not lying, Marc!

(Postage and packing made it £41 ;) )

Voume 1 and 2 are also on the site for similar prices.

Thanks for the tip-off,

Dave. :)

Has anyone ever seen volumes 3 and 4 for sale?

I haven't been able to trace them via Abebooks :(

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

I think Vol 3 is the Essex Milita and Vol 4 is the Essex Yeomanry.

Both are very hard to come by, i'm still looking.

I have Vols 1,2, 6 and also 5 which is great for studying Gallipoli and Palestine

Well done Dave, you've had a result at 41 quid

Marc

Guest Simon Bull

Hi Suzanne,

I wonder if I could trouble you to ask whether you have any information in the book about what the 13th Battalion were doing on 20 February 1917 and the three or four days leading up to that date. A man on my local village War Memorial (Cyril Gambrell) was in the 13th Battalion and died on 20 February 1917.

Thanks for the offer of a look up.

Hello,

Is there much about 13th Essex on 13th November 1916? I would also be very interested in any details about their formation.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

AGWR

PS Dave, you beat me to it!!!

Suzanne / Michael,

Do either of your collections say anything about the 2nd Garrison Battalion by any chance?

Rgds,

I'm sorry guys,

I don't seem to be getting notifications of new posts even though I'm a 'tracker'...

I'll check and get back to you, hopefully with some answers.

Cheers,

Michael

Does any one now if volume 5 is available anywhere as I would love to own it but never seen it anywhere.

Suzanne-Could you please check the book for any reference to the very unfortunate 'friendly-fire' incident with 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Delville Wood on 20th July 1916? Some of my sources say that it was 11th Essex who shot the RWF up as they advanced (mistakenly) across their front, but I think from the units stationed in the area it must have been 10th. As mentioned elsewhere, my great-uncle was a member of 10th RWF in this incident. He survived this battle only to die in the battalion's next attack at Serre on 13th November. Another of my great-uncles was almost certainly killed by 'friendly fire' in October 1918.

I once initiated a friendly-fire incident in the OTC, also in the middle of a wood, (luckily only with blanks!) but the less said about that the better.

Some of my sources say that it was 11th Essex who shot the RWF up as they advanced (mistakenly) across their front, but I think from the units stationed in the area it must have been 10th.

Mark.

It has to be the 10th Bn. The 11th Bn weren't at Delville Wood on 20th July and were actually only "en route" for the Somme on this date from the Ypres Salient.

Dave.

Glad you bought the book, Dave! Nearly had a fit when I saw one was for sale - cheap for a unit history but I have to save my pennies so I can be a smelly student again. Luckily I came on the thread after you bought it so I don't feel guilty. Besides, Michael has copied the bits I'm REALLY interested in, but you've stopped me buying yet ANOTHER book! :D

Adrian

Guest scott leader

Guys

13/Essex - MM & Bar - 18094 Pte. F.A.James

MM, L/G - 21/10/1916; would it be possible this was for Delville Wood??

Bar L/G - 16/8/1917 - Any ideas?

Here goes:

Does any one now if volume 5 is available anywhere as I would love to own it but never seen it anywhere.

Yes, if you can afford US Dollars 164.95 excl. postage:Abebooks

Do either of your collections say anything about the 2nd Garrison Battalion by any chance?

Yes, but it's veeeery little:

"The 2nd Garrison Battalion, formed also in 1915, was sent to India in 19116 and was located in Mhow area. It was disbanded in Fanuary, 1920, when the cadre was sent to Deolali." (Burrows, Volume 6, page 431: Garrison Battalion, the only page contributed to these two Battalions)

Clever how he squeezed so much information into two sentences... :D

Michael

Is there much about 13th Essex on 13th November 1916? I would also be very interested in any details about their formation.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

AGWR

What's your definition of 'much' ?: 5 pages....

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

AGWR

What's your definition of 'much' ?: 5 pages....here are pages 388 + 399:

post-2017-1112875998.jpg

Pages 400 + 401:

There's a glitch in me (quite likely or in the program, let's try once more.

Pages 400 + 401:

If it doesn't work this time, please send you email address and I'll see you get even better quality scans of the relevant pages.

Michael

post-2017-1112877113.jpg

Sotty about that, I noticed I exceeded the attachment limit....,

Page 402 and 403 as a bonus. ;)

post-2017-1112877312.jpg