Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Kings Royal Rifle Corp war diary Jul 1916

Orange_O

Hi, I wondered if anyone had any information on the war diary for this Corp on 15th July 1916?

I'm researching 7774 Ernest Walter Staines who died on this day. He was originally in the 4th as a Private, then moved to the 9th as Sgt, and finally the 16th where he was killed.

Anything about what manoeuvres he would have been involved in at his death would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Orange_O

Welcome to the Forum !

Having trouble finding this soldier ! No hit on CWGC (war graves) for the facts you post, nor a Medal Index Card or Roll. There is one for a Private Ernest Walter STAINES A/205398 in the 8th Bn. KRRC. Can you confirm the facts.

7774 Serjeant AE Staines was a High Wood casualty killed in action.

See here for much detail on the action: 15th July 1916 - 16th KRRC High Wood

Audax's list misses him off.  I think he built his list from from SDGW, but my copy definitely includes Sjt Staines.

The war diary is also transcribed in this topic: 16th KRRC High Wood MM Research

He was a pre-War Regular enlisted in late 1906 or early 1907, possibly around his 17th birthday on 08 Nov 1906.  He was not part of the battalion's original establishment, but transferred in and is unlikely to have had a direct connection to the Church Lads' Brigade.

There's a detailed biography on him here: Chelmsford Civic Centre War Memorial

With the confusion as to his forenames can you confirm you are looking for info on 7774 STAINES, Sjt Austin Ewart and not one of the other KRRC men with that surname?  There are KRRC MIC's to eight different Staines, but only 7774 Staines, Sjt AE appears on the CWGC's list of The Fallen.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

15 hours ago, Orange_O said:

I'm researching 7774 Ernest Walter Staines who died on this day. He was originally in the 4th as a Private, then moved to the 9th as Sgt, and finally the 16th where he was killed.

Austin Ewart Staines had a younger brother called Ernest Walter Staines 2016 (renumbered in 1917 as 250294), 1/5th Essex Regt, who was KiA 26 Mar 1917 at Gaza. 

Perhaps you have got their names crossed?

Sorry yes, I did quote his brother (copy and paste obviously forgot the copy stage!) and for some reason my phone decided Corp was an appropriate alternative to Corps (should learn to read things back!)

I'm starting with Austin and moving on to Ernest next; one thing at a time eh? That's the right individual as he joined the army before WW1 and I think was made Sergeant when mobilised to France.

His medal card is attached and I think I may spend 100 years working out the text :( Still, got to start somewhere.

Thanks for all the guidance and links, very much appreciated.

IMAG0675.jpg

The Chelmsford memorial site is what started my investigation by the way. Whoever wrote it has my gratitude!

Austin is my great great uncle...although I never knew about this part of the family until recently which is rather sad really when you consider the life he lived.