Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings (Liverpool) Regiment

CROONAERT

Can anyone confirm whether the maps and so on have been included in the reprint? Is it still in 3 volumes? Is this the same edition for sale at http://www.naval-military-press.com also for £48?

Yes (but not in fold-out format), yes and....yes! :D

Dave.

Thank you Phil and Dave.

Looks like I'll be ordering my copy tomorrow then :)

Even if the men we are researching aren't mentioned by name it will be interesting to find out what their units were doing on particular dates.

I posted about my Great Grandfather Henry McKibbin (18063) a while back and Promenade told me that "he enlisted in Liverpool in 4 KLR on 1/9/14 and that he was posted to France 4/3/15 with his Battalion". At that time I didn't know much about the man but since then have found him on the 1901 census and downloaded his MIC. I will start a thread in the "Soldiers" forum with a little more info soon. I could definitely do with some help interpreting the MIC, and any information on the 4th KLR at Le Transloy around 28/10/16.

My partner's grandfather was Lawrence McEvoy and apparently in the 5th Battalion, we have his MIC - again I'll probably start a thread at some point, we have a picture of this man in France.

My partner's Great Uncle was William McDonald, we found him on the CWGC site here:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=206070

Its a shame the War Diaries aren't all transcribed and available to buy, I guess there isn't enough demand considering the effort that would entail.

Thanks again for your help.

Shaun,

4th K.L.R. info for the 28th October 1916 (Transcribed from the diary)

October 24th 1916

Trones Wood

Les Boeufs (Trenches)

Wet. 2 Coys move at 1:00 pm. to trenches at LES BOEUFS (N.34.c.1.8.) Battalion H.Q. Battalion moved 3:30 p.m. Relief complete 5:00 a.m. Relieved 1st KING’S OWN. (Trench Map 57C. S.W.)

October 25th 1916

Trenches by Les Boeufs

Dull. Heavy shelling of Reserve & Front lines – 2nd LIEUT. C. D. REES wounded. Heavy rain in afternoon. 3 O.R. killed & 2 wounded.

October 26th 1916

Trenches by Les Boeufs

Fine – Shelling heavy – Saw British Aeroplane brought down by enemy machines – 15 O.R. wounded & 3 killed.

October 27th 1916

Trenches by Les Boeufs

Fine & dull. 5:00 a.m. Heavy bombardment & enemy barrage – Heavy rain evening – C.O. & Coy Commanders of 2nd A & S H to see trenches – 8 men killed & 2 wounded.

October 28th 1916

Trenches by Les Boeufs

Fine – Battalion attacked DEWDROP TRENCH. Zero 6:00 a.m. A & C Coys in front line in 4 waves. D Coy in support in 2 lines. B Coy carrying Company for stores – 10:00 a.m. LIEUT. PATEY O.C. A. Coy reported DEWDROP TRENCH captured. 2nd LIEUT. CORBRIDGE in charge of bombing party for dug-outs in JUNKON ROAD. 5:00 p.m. trench consolidated. 2nd LIEUT. J. STEWART killed, CAPT. J. C. P. O’BRIEN & 2nd LIEUT. F. R. MILLIGAN wounded, 60 O.R. killed & wounded.

October 29th 1916

Trones Wood & Carnoy (Huts)

5:00 a.m. Relief by 2nd A & S H complete. Battalion moved temporarily to TRONES WOOD for breakfast & moved on to huts at CARNOY at 11:00 a.m. arriving 12:30 p.m. 2nd LIEUT. R. H. N. MURDOCH, 2nd LIEUT. E. BAILEY, 2nd LIEUT. S. T. EATON-JONES missing.

October 30th 1916

Carnoy (Huts)

Wet. Huts at CARNOY. General cleaning up.

:) I hope this is of some use.

I'll get back to you about the 12th Battalion (William McDonald) as and when I catch up with it.

There is going to be a family history day at the King's Regiment's Museum (Museum of Liverpool Life)

The address to write to is:

King's Regiment Museum Collection

Museum of Liverpool Life

Pier Head

Liverpool

L3 1PZ

As for books etc etc (There are plans don't worry but these things have to be negotiated with those whom one needs to negotiate with) Does that make sense!!!??? If so could you explain it to me :D

Blueblood (Phil)

October 28th 1916

Trenches by Les Boeufs

Fine – Battalion attacked DEWDROP TRENCH. Zero 6:00 a.m. A & C Coys in front line in 4 waves. D Coy in support in 2 lines. B Coy carrying Company for stores – 10:00 a.m. LIEUT. PATEY O.C. A. Coy reported DEWDROP TRENCH captured. 2nd LIEUT. CORBRIDGE in charge of bombing party for dug-outs in JUNKON ROAD. 5:00 p.m. trench consolidated. 2nd LIEUT. J. STEWART killed, CAPT. J. C. P. O’BRIEN & 2nd LIEUT. F. R. MILLIGAN wounded, 60 O.R. killed & wounded.

Excellent, that will be the action referred to here (note from the medal case?)

http://www.jude-n-shaun.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/HM.jpg

Interesting to see Le Transloy misspelled.

We currently live in Sheffield but both have family still in Liverpool, definitely interested in the Family History day and I've been planning on visiting the Museum of Liverpool Life soon anyway. We can schedule it in with one of our regular trips to see the parents. You don't know when the event is do you?

No, I have no idea what you're on about re. books etc etc but I'm sure its all positive :)

Thanks again!

Shaun

The family day is planned for the 16th April at the Museum of Liverpool Life.

You have to book a place so you best write to the address I gave you and see if they can book you in.

It sounds like your Great Grandfather was part of the bombing party on JUNKON ROAD someone on the forum might have a trench map if you are lucky.

Re: Books etc etc. I've finally worked out what I meant. There are plans to do something with the transcribed version of the 4th K.L.R. diary but things still have to be sorted out.

Good luck with the rest of your research.

Blueblood (Phil)

• 2 months later...

:blink: I am researching a Walter Rust, private, 1st btn KLR

Date of death given is 25/08/1918 and commemorated on the Vis-en- Artois memorial.

I would appreciate it if someone would be kind enough to post any information about the 1st Bn KLR around the date of 25/08/18 that they may have

Many thanks

Tom

I think that they were in the vicinity of Ervillers, attacking Mory Copse. I should be able to check this later tonight.

Regards,

AGWR

:blink: Many thanks for the quick replyon the KLR 1st Bn on the 25/8/18, I await any further details you may be able to furnish with interest

This forum and it's members are a excellent example of what can be done between people, the greater majority who have never met one another. again thanks for the assistance !!!!

Tom

Tom,

I attach the relevant page from the Regimental History. All that it says on the next page is '... which had been fostered by every means for several months, No officer, NCO or man was ever transferred, however, hard pressed the battalion might be'

post-783-1116752914.jpg.

Regards,

AGWR

:D

Many thanks for your help AGWR, I can't tell you how relieved I am to find out this information.

It now means I can stop scratching my head in my ignorance and therefore stop getting splinters in my fingers !!!!

Very many thanks for your invaluable contribution to my researches.

Tom

• 1 month later...
I've just taken delivery of the regimental history for The King's Regiment (Liverpool) between 1914 and 1919.

Any look-ups required, just ask.

Dave.

Hello Dave... Sounds too expensive a proposition for me !

Can you see where the 4th Bat was on 19th May 1915, as my grandad Charles Henry (9998) died on that date? I've imagined it was Festubert. I think at least one of his cousins also died there but I haven't figured out who just yet. They were Cookes.

cheers

Hello Dave... Sounds too expensive a proposition for me !

Can you see where the 4th Bat was on 19th May 1915, as my grandad Charles Henry (9998) died on that date? I've imagined it was Festubert. I think at least one of his cousins also died there but I haven't figured out who just yet. They were Cookes.

cheers

You're correct. It was the Festubert area. They were holding the line between "R3" and "R5" under heavy shell fire.

Dave.

You're correct. It was the Festubert area. They were holding the line between "R3" and "R5" under heavy shell fire.

Dave.

so far so good Dave !

I'm visiting the area in September. Do you know of a source of a trench map showing R3 to R5 ? I'm to be found at allan@radiomuseum.co.uk by the way (you might notice the interest in old radios from this)

I've just been introduced to this forum and find it fascinating...

cheers

Allan

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cavellAL

Hi,

I'm researching my family and would love to get any info on the following men if possible.

Arthur William Collinson 15501 17th Bn King's Liverpool Regiment . died 30th July 1916

William Noll 48558 13th Bn King's Liverpool Regiment died 28th March 1918

Any suggestions as to how I would go about finding the info myself also greatly appreciated as I don't know much about this area.

Thank-you

AL

Any suggestions as to how I would go about finding the info myself also greatly appreciated as I don't know much about this area.

Al.

Take a look at the mother-site to this forum ("The Long,Long Trail"). You'll find as much information as you need to get you started on there.

Dave.

Dave,

Could I please request a look up? It's a bit of a long shot, but is there any mention of 29955 Sjt William Fraser. He won the DCM and Bar and MM and Bar, while serving with the 1st Battalion.

Many Thanks

Gavin

is there any mention of 29955 Sjt William Fraser. He won the DCM and Bar and MM and Bar, while serving with the 1st Battalion.

Not in the index, there isn't. However, the index only lists officers and VC winners.

There is a pretty high chance that he's mentioned in the narrative somewhere though.

Dave.

• 4 weeks later...
Dave,

Thanks very much for checking.

Regards

Gavin

Hi Dave !

I don't know if I am in the right section but... I'll give it a try!!

My Granddad came home from WW1 to be killed in the May Blitz in Liverpool (he's mentioned as Civilian Dead in CWGC) I don't know his battalion!

Private James William Howarth

Kings Liverpool Regt

His medal card is here!

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,72693.0.html

Any information you could give me would be appreciated

Thanking you in advance !

Annie

Hi,

I'm researching my family and would love to get any info on the following men if possible.

Arthur William Collinson 15501 17th Bn King's Liverpool Regiment . died 30th July 1916

William Noll  48558 13th Bn King's Liverpool Regiment died 28th March 1918

Thank-you

AL

Al,

I have a copy of newspaper photo of Pte A.W.Collinson. If you don't have one let me know and i'll email it to you.

Regards,

Bill

Annie,

James William Howarth enlisted in 4 KLR as No 49428 on 4/1/15 and subsequently also served with 17 KLR and 2/7 KLR before being discharged from the Army on 4/4/19 aged 36. He would have received the BW and Victory medals together with Silver War Badge No 495734.

Do you have a photo of him that you would be willing to share?

Regards

Promenade

Annie,

James William Howarth enlisted in 4 KLR as No 49428 on 4/1/15 and subsequently also served with 17 KLR and 2/7 KLR before being discharged from the Army on 4/4/19 aged 36. He would have received the BW and Victory medals together with Silver War Badge No 495734.

Do you have a photo of him that you would be willing to share?

Regards

Promenade

Hi Promenade!!

Thank you so much for that! I appreciate it very much!! check out

Theres a photo of him in his uniform with my Grandma!

are you doing Kings Liverpool Regiment?

Annie

PS If by any chance you can tell me anything else I would love to hear it!!

Hi Promenade!!

Thank you so much for that! I appreciate it very much!! check out 

Theres a photo of him in his uniform with my Grandma!

are you doing Kings Liverpool Regiment?

Annie

PS If by any chance you can tell me anything else I would love to hear it!!

Hi Promenade!

Can I ask how I find out why my Granddad got the siver War Badge ? would that be something in the War Diary?

Annie

Hi Promenade!

Can I ask how I find out why my Granddad got the siver War Badge ? would that be something in the War Diary?

Annie

Annie,

It wouldn't be recorded in the War Diary, it will be listed in the Silver War Badge Rolls at the National Archives, Kew. The reason is usually only abbreviated to which paragraph of the King's Regulations he was discharged under and in the majority of cases it is noted as either (s) sickness, or (w) wounds.

Regards,

Ken

Annie,

It wouldn't be recorded in the War Diary, it will be listed in the Silver War Badge Rolls at the National Archives, Kew. The reason is usually only abbreviated to which paragraph of the King's Regulations he was discharged under and in the majority of cases it is noted as either (s) sickness, or (w) wounds.

Regards,

Ken

Thank you Ken!!

I appreciate your help!

Annie