Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Ernest Gooding RAVC

Phil Evans

Any definitive military service info on this man is eluding me:

Sergeant George Ernest Gooding, RAVC, service number unknown. He died on 18th September 1920, age 43. His death was registered in the Woolwich RD and he was buried in Greenwich Cemetery on 23rd September 1920 in Grave 3. Con. A. 359.

post-20576-0-65702500-1448822366_thumb.j

He is traceable through all the BMD and census entries. Born in the Camberwell area in 1877, he moved as a child to East London, where he later married and raised a family. In 1911 he was living in Forest Gate, with his wife Milly and son, George. By trade he was a boot and shoe clicker.

I have drawn a blank as far as his military career is concerned. There is one George Ernest Gooding on the Medal Rolls, but I do not believe that it is him. This man first embarked with the 7th Londons, was transferred to the 20th Bn Middlesex and then posted to the 2nd Bn. His Middlesex number is G/99132. He was one of a batch and through examining them all, I believe that he is probably the George Ernest Gooding born 1899 in Dartford RD.

I am also unable to find any obvious entry under George Gooding, or any combination of his name and initials. At present, I am led to the conclusion that he didn’t serve overseas.

It wouldn’t be the first time that I have been misled by a headstone inscription, but this does appear to imply that he was still serving when he died. The Station Veterinary Hospital was situated next to the Shrapnel Barracks on Woolwich Common. There were three hospitals close to Greenwich Cemetery, including the Brook and the Herbert, right next door to it.

Before I consider whether to stump up for the DC, or his burial register entry on Deceased Online, I thought I would give it an airing on here, in case I have missed something glaringly obvious.

Phil

On FMP, there's a mention of 29765 G E Gooding, called up 25/1/1916, reported at Stratford 21/6/1917. He is also on a 22/6/1917 list "No 10 Postings - Departures. He was category: Ci

Thanks IPT,

That's something to start from.

Presumably the record is on one of those stray pages that Ancestry indexing failed to pick up.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

I have now bought the Death Cert and below is a summary of the main details:

Where & when died: 18th September 1920. Royal Herbert Hospital

Name: George Ernest Gooding

Occupation: of 48 Dyers Hall Road, Leytonstone. Sergeant RAVC (Hand Cobbler)

Cause of Death: (1) Frontal Sinus Suppuration 3 years. (2) Cerebral Embolus 2 days. No PM.

I have been unable to find any further information on him so far and although I am 99% certain that he is SE/29765, as found by IPT, I cannot prove it. Will CWGC / MoD accept that he is?

I have nothing to lose and will put him forward with what I have got though.

My public thanks also to CGM for additional information.

Phil

• 9 months later...

I've been sitting on this for a long time, but have finally put the paperwork together and submitted George's case to the CWGC today. I have already heard back and they have forwarded it on to the NAM for adjudication.

Phil

• 3 months later...

A brief, but welcome email arrived from CWGC today:

"Dear Mr Evans,

We have recently been instructed by the relevant Service Authority that Sergeant George Ernest Gooding qualifies for commemoration as a Commonwealth war casualty."

My thanks again to IPT and CGM for providing the back up information.

In fact, apart from the DC, that was all of it. It was a tenuous case that could have gone either way.

Phil

Nice one Phil