Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14th (Light) Division - Hooge Liquid Fire attack & later actions

MBrockway

Remembering today all those from the 14th (Light) Division who fell in the Liquid Fire attack at Hooge at 03:15hrs on Friday 30th July 1915 and in the subsequent counter-attacks later that day attempting to recover the lost trenches.

They are not forgotten

:poppy:

This morning Andy (Pal @stiletto_33853) held a 3 a.m. silent vigil at the site of the 8th Rifle Brigade position at the 1915 Hooge Crater.

There is a commemoration being held later today for the counter-attack.

I am pulling together a some links to a selection of the many topics here on the Forum and elsewhere that cover these actions and the many men who fell this day one hundred years ago.

I will post these below shortly.

Mark

Remembering 3277 Pvt George William PYE, 8th Bn Rifle Brigade who was killed during the Liquid fire attack at Hooge along with 172 of his comrades... His medals reside in my collection, gone but not forgotten...

Rick

post-9117-0-24789000-1438264752_thumb.jp

Information on the Liquid Fire attack & the later counter-attacks

8/RB dispositions at 03:00hrs having just taken over the trenches from 7/RB for the first time

Detailed description of both actions with excellent maps

Map of the attack from British Official History

8/RB war diary transcribed by Pal Andrew Thomas in memory of his great uncle Z/340, Rfn Reginald THOMAS, 8/RB. Transferred to 8/RB on 04 Aug 1915 in a replenishment draft shortly after the attack, but Died of Wounds with the battalion nearby on 02 Oct 1915.

The afternoon's counter-attacks from Zouave and Sanctuary Woods with excellent maps & a transcript of 9/KRRC information. Also covers the resistance raised by of several brigade and battalion commanders involved who regarded the counter-attacks as folly and similar comments from Lord Kitchener.

More on the counter-attacks with excellent maps, Andy's modern battlefield photographs & much 7/KRRC information.

Information and accounts on the counter-attack by 8/KRRC incl death of Capt. Davies the adjutant

8/KRRC Casualty Return covering the actions - 35 killed, 137 wounded, 22 missing

Basic account of 7/RB's dispositions in Zouave Wood

An account of an alleged atrocity after the actions by Cpl. Phillip HOLMES, 7/KRRC.

Information on a selection of the men who endured this day to follow ...

A Small Selection of the Many who endured this terrible day

Remembering 2/Lt. Sidney Clayton WOODROFFE, 8/RB - the first Kitchener VC:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidney_Woodroffe
Sidney Woodroffe's vivid description of trench life written 12 Jul 1915

His VC citation:
"His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to award the Victoria Cross to Second Lieutenant Sidney Clayton Woodroffe, late 8th Battalion, The Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consort's Own).
For most conspicuous bravery on 30 July, 1915 at Hooge.
The enemy having broken through the centre of our front trenches, consequent on the use of burning liquids, this Officer's position was heavily attacked with bombs from the flank and subsequently from the rear, but he managed to defend his post until all his bombs were exhausted, and then skilfully withdrew his remaining men.

This very gallant Officer immediately led his party forward in a counter-attack under intense rifle and machine-gun fire, and was killed whilst in the act of cutting the wire obstacles in the open."
[source: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29286/supplement/8839]

Sidney's brother, Capt. Leslie WOODROFFE, 8/RB – severely wounded this day and awarded MC. Assistant Master at Shrewsbury School Sep 1909 to Dec 1914. Killed in Action 1916 and whose loss was described thus by Evelyn Southwell (9/RB, KiA 1916):
"It was owing to him, as much as any one, that I joined the R.B. Every one of course says 'What a wonderful Family', [all three Woodroffe brothers served in the RB and fell in WW1] and this is perfectly true: but his death was not wonderful at all; it was just the most miserable piece of bad luck for his Regiment, and that sort of nonsense is no consolation at all for his loss. It does remain true that those three great men made a name in the R.B. which is famous in every one of its Battalions."
[source: Two Men: A Memoir p.194]

Remembering Lt. Gilbert Walter Lyttelton TALBOT, 7/RB - in remembrance of whom Talbot House and ToC H were founded
Gilbert Walter Lyttelton Talbot
The story of Talbot House, ToC H, Revs Tubby Clayton and Neville Talbot (Gilbert's brother)

S/7625 Rfn Frederick HAMILTON, 8/RB - survived and awarded the DCM for this action. The first DCM's of the New Armies. Died of Wounds in 1916 as Corporal with 41st MG Company.
DCM Citation and first hand account by Rfn Hamilton (but OP's commentary contains inaccuracies)

Remembering Lt.-Col Charles Slingsby CHAPLIN, CO of 9/KRRC, Killed in Action this day aged 52 years by enemy machine gun fire while advancing with his battalion's third wave.

Also Lt.-Col. Ronald Campbell MacLACHLAN, CO of 8/RB, survived this day and promoted Brigadier commanding 112 Infantry Brigade He was killed in action on 11 Aug 1917.
His brother Lt.-Col. Alexander F.C. MacLachlan at various times commanded 11th & 12th KRRC, then 12/RB with whom he was killed in the Kaiserschlacht in March 1918.

Remembering Capt. William Mackworth PARKER, 8/RB, Adjutant. Killed in Action this day.

Remembering Capt. William John DAVIES, 8/KRRC, Adjutant. Killed in Action this day near the edge of Wood.

Lt. Charles Ralph LE BLANC-SMITH, 8/RB, Cambridge University Boat Club President 1912-13, Boat Race 1910, 1911, 1912 (an infamous sinking), severely wounded this day. Killed in Action 27 Nov 1915

Remembering Capt. John Douglas Henderson RADCLIFFE, 7/KRRC, Fellow of All Souls, Oxford, solicitor and beginning a promising political career, survived the 03:15hrs attacks, but mortally wounded in 7/KRRC's counter and died later this day. Obituary and photograph

Remembering two old boys of Bury Grammar School - Rfn Denis LAURIA, 8/KRRC, KiA, and Cpl Philip HOLMES, 7/KRRC, survived, to die later in 1915.

B/1957 Sjt. Leonard Ison PITT, 8/RB, science master at Stamford Grammar School. Killed in Action.

Remembering Maj. Frederick Maurice CRUM, 8/KRRC, pioneer with Baden-Powell of the boy scout movement and key figure in establishment of British sniping schools on the Western Front. Survived this day.

Remembering Lt. Sidney MILSOM, 8/RB, Selwyn College, Cambridge. Killed in Action this day.

Also Lt. Gordon Vero CAREY, 8/RB, later Maj., in RAF and on the staff. A boy chorister at King's College, Cambridge, he went up to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge where he got rugby Blues in 1907 and 1908. A short spell in teaching followed before joining the Cambridge University Press just before the War. He survived this day and, post war, became Asst Secretary at CUP and compiled the Cambridge University War List 1914-1918. In his late 40's he returned to education as Headmaster at Eastbourne College, where he had studied after leaving King's.

Carey's great friend, another Cambridge rugby Blue, Capt. Lewis Alexander McAFEE, 8/RB, commanding A Coy. Training to be a doctor at the outbreak of war, he was Killed in Action today.

Their friendly rival, Oxford rugby Blue, 2/Lt William Purdon GEEN, 9/KRRC Haileybury and University College, Oxford. Killed in Action the next day 31 Jul 1915.

Remembering 2/Lt. The Hon. Gerald William 'Billy' GRENFELL, 8/RB, poet, Oxford boxing and tennis Blue, athlete and son of Lord Desborough. His elder brother, the poet Julian Grenfell had been killed the previous May. Photographs, Portraits and memorial in Taplow

A couple of Pals we're familiar with from Andy's Avatar here on the Forum ...

Capt. Arthur SHEEPSHANKS, DSO, 8/RB commanding D Coy. Awarded the DSO "For Conspicuous gallantry in a counter-attack on 30th July, 1915, when he continued to advance with his company till only he and six Riflemen were left standing. He then checked a bomb attack by the enemy, and held on to his trench till late in the evening. He was wounded in the head early in the day but returned to duty with his company after the wound had been dressed."
Sheepshanks eventually commanded 10/KRRC from Oct 1917 to the battalion's disbandment in the brigade restructuring of Feb 1918.

2/Lt. Dudley Sutton ASHFORTH, 8/RB. Returned from working in a bank in Buenos Aires to enlist in the ranks in 1914, was corporal when he went out in August 1915 and was commissioned on 16 Jan 1916 rapidly becoming battalion Intelligence Officer. Survived this day. Killed in Action at Delville Wood on 15 Sep 1916.

This is but a small selection of the brave men of 14th (Light) Division who faced so much this day one hundred years ago.

We will remember them all
:poppy:

Let us finish with this evocative poem inspired by the experiences of the day by Rfn Colin MITCHELL, 8/RB

Mark, this is a fantastic post and a fitting tribute.

Not forgotten.

Pete.

post-101238-0-09530500-1438289822_thumb.

A wonderful tribute. Hats off, Mark and Andy.

Long live the memory of all involved.

post-121135-0-81844100-1438302885_thumb.

Fabulous stuff, Mark. I shall be covering the action in detail on my October 2015 school battlefields tour. Thanks for mentioning our two BGS boys amongst all the others.

Photo shows Rifleman Denis Lauria 8th KRRC, son of the Vicar of Ainsworth in Lancashire, killed in action 30th July 1915.

post-120-0-61675000-1438449155_thumb.jpg

Finally got home after utter chaos trying to get back to this side of the channel. Calais port closed down with vehicles being turned away by the Police. Everyone made their way to Dunkirk which was bedlam. Police also closed the ferry roads down in Dunkirk so had to find my way back through some farmland roads to the north of the port with the able assistance of the Satnav. 2000 ferry booked, no chance, port full only letting cars in when the parking area was emptied out by the arrival of a ferry with traffic backed up for miles, finally got home at 0500.

Very spooky feeling standing on the crater when the German attack started, nothing super natural just a very eerie feeling as I was the only one there. Paid my humblest respects for a period of time knowing quite a bit about the sequence of events and then slowly made my way down the communication trench back to Zouave Wood as some of the 8th RB men did a little later. Went to the site of the battalion HQ in the wood staying there for a little while contemplating events. A lovely moon was out helping me find my way in the dark.

Met some family relations of a 7th RB man later to go through the counter attack in the afternoon and laid a wreath to the men that died on this day in the area.

Attended the Last Post which with the kids on holiday was not as bad, but still crowded with once again way to many things going on, a band, wreath laying etc etc but at least not having a mobile phone stuffed in my face by some snot nosed kid who would have been continually talking, so a pleasant change.

They are now reading a Eulogy of one particular person that died 100 years ago at the Last Post, 30/7/15 Eulogy was to Gilbert Walter Lyttleton Talbot which was total tosh, factually inaccurate and poor in the extreme, slightly annoyed at this and a little hurt is not the right word but feeling sorrow and disappointment.

31st spent visiting men from the 14th Division that were killed on the 30/7/15 to pay my respects.

Andy

Andy

Sorry to hear that the journey home was such a trial. but I am full of admiration for your trip. I wonder if the eerie sense comes from your huge knowledge of the events you were commemorating; you can probably re-create it on the ground, and almost see the events of 100 years ago. I can see the ground in my mind's eye but can't see the battle in quite the same way, despite the excellent maps and information above. It's interesting about the rubbish tribute to Gilbert Talbot; I'm just working on Helpjpl's great uncle who was buried by Gilbert's brother.

Pete.

A Small Selection of the Many who endured this terrible day

Their friendly rival, Oxford rugby Blue, 2/Lt William Purdon GEEN, 9/KRRC Haileybury and University College, Oxford. Killed in Action the next day 31 Jul 1915.

A tribute to the Welsh international Billy Geen was posted yesterday on Twickenham's World Rugby Museum blog: https://worldrugbymuseumblog.wordpress.com/

Aerial view just before the mine was blown.

post-1871-0-64385400-1438515782_thumb.jp

Division HQ Diary page from the beginning of August 1915 listing casualties to the division.

Andy

post-1871-0-85653000-1438535536_thumb.jp

Corporal B/2801, J. Basnett. Captain Sheepshanks Company (D), missing (counter attack) from Salford

post-1871-0-12322300-1438603512_thumb.jp

S/978, H. Davis, wounded 30/7/15 died of wounds 31/7/15.

post-1871-0-53937000-1438611487_thumb.jp

2nd Lt. Sidney Clayton Woodroffe (VC), aged 19, first New Army V.C.

post-1871-0-35172500-1438622175_thumb.jp

The following is a letter received by Sidney Woodroffe's mother shortly after the action from Lieut.- Col. R.C. Maclachlan, officer commanding the 8th Rifle Brigade:-

Your younger boy was simply the bravest of the brave and the work he did that day will stand out as a record hard to beat; later I will try to get you a more or less definite account. When the line was attacked and broken on his right he still held his trench and only when the Germans were discovered to be in the rear of him did he leave it. He then withdrew his remaining men very skillfully right away to the flank and worked his way alone back to me to report. He finally brought his command back and then took part in the counter attack. He was killed out in front, in the open cutting the wire to enable the attack to be continued. This is the bald statement of his part in that day action. He risked his life for others right through the day and finally gave it for the sake of his men. He was a splendid type of young officer, always as bold as a lion, confident and sure of himself too. The loss he is to me personally is very great, as I had learnt to appreciate what a sterling fine lad he was.

His men would have followed him anywhere.

Sidney's V.C. citation Mark has kindly posted in 4.

Andy

Ronald Campbell Maclachlan D.S.O.

A quite remarkable man, 4th son of the late Archibald Neil Campbell Maclachlan Esq., of Newton Valence, educated Eton and Sandhurst. Gazretted to the Regiment 8/7/93, promoted Lieutenant 27/11/95. He served with the 3rd Battalion in India and later with the 2nd Battalion in South Africa, where he took part in the Defence of Ladysmith, being severely wounded on 6th January at Wagon Hill. He was present at the action of Laing's Nek in January 1900 and the subsequent operations in the Transvaal. Later, at Bergendal he did good services with the machine guns for which he was mentioned in despatches.

Promoted Captain 24/4/00 and was posted to the 3rd Battalion in India. He took part in the Tibet expedition of 1904 as a special service officer.

On 1st Febraury 1908 he was appointed adjutant of Volunteers and six month later was made adjutant of the Officers Training Corps at Oxford and held that post until 30/9/11. On the termination of his appointment the Honorary Degree of M.A. was conferred upon him by the University of Oxford for his excellent service with the O.T.C. In June 1913 he was appointed to Command of the Oxford O.T.C. with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel and commanded the officer's camp at Churn for a month, where 500 men from the Universities were in training at the time when war was declared.

In the following month he assisted to raise and train the 8th Battalion and took over command of that battalion taking it out to France. He was severely wounded at Ypres in December 1915 and was granted the D.S.O. in May 1916. He returned to France in November 1916 and on 7th January 1917 was appointed Brigadier-General. On 11th August 1917 whilst visiting the trenches under his charge he was shot dead by a sniper.

His Divisional General wrote strongly on "the services he had rendered during the battles on the Scarpe" and how "he commanded his Brigade at Monchy on 9th to 11th April with great success .......... We wondered how it was possible for the Germans to have let his men get to the summit of the ridge where there was not a blade of cover. It was his personal example and personal influence only that did it. He was right up at the front, almost in the front line ......The Army has lost a fine leader with tremendous personality."

"In the Rifle Brigade he was beloved, and the large number who attended his funeral was eloquent testimony of the esteem in which he was held by all. But his influence counts much further than his Regiment, and there must be hundreds of Oxford men who are under a great obligation to him for having taught them the duties of an officer."

post-1871-0-83235800-1438676362_thumb.jp

Captain L.A. McAffee

post-1871-0-15353400-1438764430_thumb.jp

post-1871-0-35654900-1438796759_thumb.jp

Aerial of Zouave Wood on the left and Sanctuary wood showing some of the trenches

German photograph of Zouave Wood

post-1871-0-63515000-1438864043_thumb.jp

post-1871-0-45465400-1438864141_thumb.jp

Sidney Milsom

Ronnie MacLachlan wrote after his death to his parents

"It is a cruel story: it was a sudden attack under cover of liquid gases, that set the trench aflame. In spite of all the horror and confusion, your boy, apparently with two other officers, Rae and Pawle, rallied the men at once and firing hard through the flames, held their ground. It was simply heroic and just what we all knew could and would be done by your boy in a tight corner. He had already proved himself quite fearless, and what is more quite cool under fire and his platoon loved him - a roughish set of men who followed him anywhere - and he was always chosen for any particular digging task, he had a genius for getting work done - and done well.

I was very fond of him personally, and feel like I've lost a friend as well as an efficient officer. He was popular with everyone, generous and open handed to an extraordinary degree.!

Andy

post-1871-0-14687000-1439049749_thumb.jp

Edited by stiletto_33853

• 3 weeks later...

I've just realised we'll lose this Topic if it receives no new material for 30 days :wacko: .

I've asked the Mods to re-locate it in the 'Units and formations' sub-forum instead.