Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st battalion or 2/6th Battalion insignia?

CambraiComrade

Hello All,

My Great Great Great Uncle Captain Walter Moorhouse was in the West Yorkshire Regiment. According to records he was 1st Batt attached to 2/6th batt.

My question is what insignia would have worn then? Insignia for the 1st or 2/6th Batt?

Many thanks,

William

William,

Officers of all battalions of the West Yorkshire Regt. wore the same cap badge and collars in bronze with the exception of the 7th, 8th and 15th Battalions who all had their own cap badges. If Walter Moorhouse started as a regular officer with the 1st Bn and was then attached to the 2/6th Bn then he would wear the normal badges, but of course it is entirely possible, but unlikely, that he may have added the 'T's beneath his collar badges to signify that he was serving with a territorial Bn.

The only other badging which may vary is that of Divisional badges/patches.

Hope this answers your question?

Robert

Hello Robert,

Awfully sorry but didn't make the question very clear, I did indeed mean battalion/divisional insignia.

Kind regards,

William

Hello Robert,

Awfully sorry but didn't make the question very clear, I did indeed mean battalion/divisional insignia.

Kind regards,

William

William,

I am not very good on Divisional insignia but I believe that the 2/6th were part of the 62nd W.R.Bde and wore a Pelican? as their Divisional Badge. You may well be advised to start a further topic asking for more specific information as there are a number of members who will be able to give you chapter and verse on these matters.

Good Luck

Robert

The 62nd's Pelican was not worn on uniform, and may be thought more of as a vehicle sign etc. It's conceivable that it made it's way on to helmets, yet I have no recollection of any evidence of that.

Waring (Maj. John Waring's Identification Pamphlet No. 2 - the most comprehensive source of this sort of thing) doesn't record any signs for the 1st Bn, but that the 2/6th wore a 2" red disc (presumably on the shoulder).

Shoulder titles for the 1st would have been W.YORK and for the 2/6th, either W.YORK or T/6/W.YORK.

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks very much

I realised that, it's ok old boy.

Many thanks,

William

William

The 1st West Yorks did not wear any cloth battalion signs but they used the following markings on their steel helmets:

From October 1916 to July 1917, a patch of regimental colours, maroon/old gold/maroon painted on the right side.

From July 1917 to June 1918, a white horse painted on the front of the helmet.

From June 1918 to May 1919, a maroon shield with a gold saltire painted on the front.

These marks were worn by all ranks.

As GT says, the 2/6th wore a red circle, this was 2" in diameter and was worn on both sleeves 1" below the shoulder seam on both the jacket and greatcoat.

This information cames from the uniform questionnaires held in the IWM library.

Mike