Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Abbreviations used on B103 Casualty forms

Paulson

Hi

I've just received copies of my father's service file and I'm having difficulties with entries regarding injuries he received in 1916 in France. The entries are:-

"Admitted PUO" "Admitted INZSH" this is followed by a location which I think is Amiens, and "Admitted 9GH (POUO Trench) Rouen".

As I am new to this I'm not sure if I'm asking the right question in the right place but can anyone help?

Paulson.

In expansion of what Martin wrote--- POUO or PUO is indeed "Pyrexia (fever) of unknown origin". During the war, it was often not possible to determine the actual cause of a fever in a forward location. All the medics might know is that the patient had a fever and needed treatment-- thus, the temporary diagnosis was PUO (I have also seen POU for Pyrexia, origin unknown).

This diagnosis could later prove to be Malaria, trench fever, dysentary, or any of the other myriad fevers seen in a combat zone.

I suspect the second admission might have been for suspected trench fever, though not clearly diagnosed at the time of admission.

Thanks for this information. My father who was in the KRR 11th battalion was invalided home from France in November 1916 at the age of 20.He was then transferred and posted several times between then and February 1919 and I am trying to understand why these various moves might have happened. Does anyone know if there is more information available anywhere, and if this was possibly the normal pace of change at that time? Also what does it signify when there is a D in the "Regt.or Depot" column and what does the last line in brackets mean on the entry for 4/2/19?

I hope the attachment is legible and thanks in advance for any help.

Paulson

post-116631-0-36083500-1414681097_thumb.

Since in this topic, you've told us he was originally in 11/KRRC, the D signifies the Rifles Depot in Winchester.

(Army List September 1919) will show him as a 2/Lt in the KRRC.

There should also be a London Gazette entry for his Commissioning as an officer in the KRRC on 04 Feb 1919.

If you reveal his name to us, we can likely add a fair bit more for you.

As a post-war officer, he may well have a surviving Service Record - or do you already have this?

Look forward to helping you further when you give us more to work with :thumbsup: