Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

I liked the look of it..... what with me having dozens of 'em :P

Seriously though, I picked the VC 'cause I feel it's worthy of promoting such an item as often as possible.

Les.

Since I am an elderly ex-pat Briton living in the '60s USA and butlering for two gay crime fighting superheroes who possess a penchant for revealing lycra; both as camp as a row of tents and use a brush-covered cave as a garage. (And no, it's not Mr Tron and 'young friend' of his; vide the censured thread a few months back.)

Alfred

Damn, where's my secret anti-avatar spray when I need it?

Mine is a picture of Alexander McClintock DCM, see below. The picture was in the archives of defunce United Press International and had never been printed! God it was hard running it down. It's now thje cover of the reprint of his fine book which CEF Books & Tom Morgan have.

Later I located another picture of him in US OTS training, Plattsburgh, NY.

I want to hear from Steve Fuller! :rolleyes:

27th Division, commanded by Generals Snow and Forestier-Walker, two men i am researching.

For those who are dreamning of old Forest glory, all I can say is, lucky this is a WW1 site for it means by definition we are old enough to remeber :lol:

regards

Arm.

CSM Harry Betts MC DCM & Bar,One of only two 1/1st Cambridgeshire soldiers to be Recommended for award of the Victoria Cross,sadly & in my opinion wrongly denied him;@ one time purported to be one of the youngest WOs in the Army,A fearless and extremely gallant NCO who on @ least four occassions stormed German Machine Gun Posts,thus saving the lives of many of the Men under his command,a true Hero in the proper sense of the word,sadly Harry attempted his feat once too often & was killed attempting to clear his last MG nest:~truly one of Fenland's finest

now changed for the present to Polly from a US Forensic TV Show cos she's mighty purty!!!

post-8-1094851257.jpg

Mine is a photo of Private George Phaup of the 2nd/4th Battalion, Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry. He was killed in action on Tuesday 23rd April 1918 age 28. He is one of the local casualties I have done a little research on.

My Avatar is from a photo postcard of an unidentified Grenadier in the 109th Reserve Infanterie Regiment, part of the XIV Reserve Korps I have been studying for many years.

Ralph

Mine's a gif file I created that scans through some of my various relatives who served in WW1.

All served with the AIF except my GGrandfather who served in the 2nd HLI. (he's the one with the glengarry on)

Tim L.

:) Mine at the moment is the only one I could find that looked a little like myself on joining - I was going to change when I found something more fitting, or appropriate - Not so sure now as it seems like mine… :)

3-3808 Sergt. William Hector White, 9th R.Highrs.

Born St. Giles, Edinburgh. Enlisted Perth. Killed in action, Loos, 25 September 1915, aged 33. Buried in Philosophe British Cemetery, Mazingarbe, Pas de Calais, France, IV. G. 5.

AUCHTERMUCHTY CASUALTIES.

Mrs White, Orchardflat, Auchtermuchty, has received information that her husband, Sergeant Wm. H. White, 9th Black Watch, is missing, The Dundee Advertiser, 12 October 1915, 8.

SERGEANT KILLED.

Official information has been received of the death in action of another Perth man. He is Sergeant William H. White, 9th Black Watch, only son of Mr. and Mrs. Hector White, Brighton Villa, York Place, Perth. Sergeant White, who was 33 years of age, was brought up in Perth Barracks, where his father acted as colour-sergeant of the 42nd. Deceased who was well known in Perth, was married, and his wife and three of a family reside at Auchtermuchty. He enlisted in Kitchener’s Army at the outbreak of hostilities. The Dundee Advertiser, Friday, 5 November 1915, 9.

Below is a photograph of his grave taken by Derek Robertson on a recent trip to France.

post-8-1094890760.jpg

• Admin

Incurring the wrath of Paul Guthrie, I changed my avatar from Marge Simpson to a picture of Sgt Ernest Mildenhall. He was my great-grandmothers second husband. There is quite a story attached to him, but only Cynthia on this forum knows....... :blink:

Mine is of my Great-Grandfather, John P.Robertson, no.73601, 28th Bn. (North-West) CEF 1914-1918. He was quite a fella. B)

That's him with the X above his head. I'd be delighted to hear from anyone who could add any detail regarding the group photograph.

I think that it's an early 1915 picture, possibly taken in this country?

post-8-1094893080.jpg

quite simple of me, it is me!

Mines my Grandad George Ernest Green ( below ), but he looks nothing like that, he is quite striking in his appearence but thats how he turned out when shrunk to fit as the avatar.----does anybody know how to make the photo better ? i have tried again but he comes out all blurred

Mines my Grandad George Ernest Green ( below ), but he looks nothing like that, he is quite striking in his appearence but thats how he turned out when shrunk to fit as the avatar.----does anybody know how to make the photo better ? i have tried again but he comes out all blurred

I want to try, i have a few good photo programs.

mail it to me trough our website, see my signature. I am webmaster of it