Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My latest trip...report.

trenchtrotter

Well,

This time last week 11/11/2010 I was on the Somme for Rememberance. I caught the 0200 DFDS (Norfolk Line) Ferry on the 9/11 and got to the Somme for 0730! Very tired. Not daunted I bought a baguette, made myself an al fresco brekkie and set off on the first of my walks. My report and photos.

9/11. I walked from Ovillers, up to Mucky Farm. Then down to Courcellette cemetery. From there I cut across the fields and tracks to Regina Trench and dropped down to Boom Ravine. I then walked in a loop back to the car! By now it was dark again!

Forgot to add...HEAVY RAIN ALL DAY!

10/11. Today I parked at the southern end of Flers and walked across the fields to the east taking in Bulls Road Cemetery, point 91, Grass Lane and then to AIF Burial Ground. There I visited The Earl Of Fevershams grave, CO of 21st KRRC. I also paid my respects to Earnest Sheperd author of "A Sergeant Majors War". From there I went to Seven Dials and across the fields to Fritzs Folly west of Guedecourt. In the same area as I found bones in March 2009 I again found evidence of a body but very little. Without GPS I cannot say for sure that it was the exact spot but when we found the bones last time(German from uniform and equipment) we buried all deep where the plough could not reach! From here I went to the Guedecourt Caribou and then a first for me.....I walked across the fields between Guedecourt and Le Transloy. The terrain is exactly as described by Sidney Rogerson in "Twelve Days". From there back to the car in a loop to the west of Flers. Darkness was back. This was THE ONLY DRY DAY. RAIN WAS NOW SETTING IN AND IT WAS NOT TO STOP TILL I RETURNED TO ENGLAND!!

11/11. THE RAIN......!!!!!! I parked up at Newfoundland Park and walked to Hawthorn Ridge Cemetery. It was now 10.55 and here I observed a moments silence and reflection at 11.00. Surrounded by so many 1/7/16 and 13/11/16 fallen it was very sad. I would not have been anywhere else that moment. So many of the 16th Middlesex including a 19 year old 2nd Lieutenant. Only me, the dead and the howling wind and rain. Looking across the sunken lane and Redan Ridge I could only fight back the tears! From here I walked across the Ridge to Serre. I was forced to seek shelter at Serre Road No 2 and when I got to the Park the weather was so bad I had to give up and had a long wet walk back to the car going through Newfoundland Park itself! I looked a right state as I warmed up in the visitors centre! RAIN ARGHHHHH!

12/11. A walk from Longueval having visited the new Footballers memorial. A long loop around Trones Wood and Bernafay Wood and back to the car. I then returned to Flers and walked along Abbey Road, up North Road and across the fields where once Bayonet Trench ran. Deep mud, vile weather and a desolate landscape devoid of colour....I could almost have been back in Novemebr 1916 only no danger of imminent death! ALMOST NON STOP RAIN ALL DAY.

13/11. First visit was to Able Seaman Francis Tebbutt KIA 13/11/16 and buried in the Ancre Cemetery. A family relation. Then a drive and short walk around Gommecourt before a tour of the back area going to Courcelle Au Bois to see Sgt Robert Plenderleath, East Yorks also KIA 13/11/16. I then went to Couin to see Arthur Thurlow 13th East Yorks, wounded 13/11/16 and succombed to wounds 20/11/16. Also saw some brave men and senior oficer casualties in the same cemeteries. Saw Basil Radfords grave. Now a race to catch the 1600 ferry and only just made it having got lost around Arras. RAIN!

Back home. Piccies follow.

Regards

TT

:poppy:

Shell above Courcellette on route to Regina Trench.

post-15846-002900400 1290099612.jpg

Rifleman Peace...RIP. Bulls Road.

General view of Bulls Road Cemetery, Flers.

AIF Burial Ground, Grass Lane.

post-15846-081725100 1290099875.jpg

post-15846-044307500 1290099953.jpg

post-15846-073229600 1290100059.jpg

From Grass Lane looking West to Factory Corner and beyond.

post-15846-073608100 1290101091.jpg

. :poppy:

post-15846-080155600 1290101601.jpg

Thanks for the report TT. You must have more shots than that. And oh, what was the weather like? :lol:

Roger

Nice to see shots of places and cemeteries which aren't the usual places.

Glad you had a good trip, even if the weather was unkind to you.

Please do keep posting the piccies, always nice to see them (plus it gives me some good ideas for an itinerary next time we're out!)

(plus it gives me some good ideas for an itinerary next time we're out!)

Kim

You didn't do too badly on your trip - and your thread was excellent by the way. I only came to it late when I returned from Cyprus.

Roger

The only sunshine I saw. Thought it made a good picture. French headstone shadows, AIF Burial Ground.

post-15846-081170400 1290104147.jpg

TT

It does make a good picture. More please :thumbsup:

Roger

Hi TT,

Congratulations you must have covered some miles. I also do the 0200 or 0400 hours ferry to get to the Somme early, but I dont think I could then manage that walk on the first day. An excellent and very interesting, informative article, thank you very much for that and the photos. Truely a labour of love. Respect!!!

Richard,

PS Where did you stay?

The footballers memorial is located at Longueval. by the village cemetery near the Delville Wood visitors centre. Commemorates the 17th and 23rd Middlesex Battalions.

Regards

TT

PS stayed at B and B called Mash Valley at La Boiselle, run by Brian and Linda Gibson...highly recommended and they cant do enough for you. On 11/11 I stayed at Tommies Bar with Dom.

Different view of same graves.

post-15846-088260800 1290109154.jpg

TT,

Ah yes, stayed there myselfwith 3 others in September, also nice and handy for Poppy Restaurant without having to use the car. I also would use it again, plenty of interesting artifacts to see too.

Richard

11/11/2010 at 11.00.

RIP lads, all of you. And also thinking of those today in the same danger.

TT :poppy:

post-15846-070891300 1290110182.jpg

Sydney Rogersons view in Twelve Days....

post-15846-027582500 1290110933.jpg

Great walks and pics.

Did you find anything of interest on the fields this time?

Tony

Excellent photos Trenchtrotter sound like it was a bit damp but looks like you covered lots of ground. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Rick

Any T-shirt days, Tim?

:P

The photos certainly don't back up your line about the place being devoid of any colour, but then you haven't posted any shots from the middle of muddy fields.

It does sound like you had a really special time there despite the weather, but there are times and thoughts that even the weather can't spoil.

Well done for your report, I hope there is more to come?

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks for the feed back and comments all. Here are some of the men...Harold Hornsby Cocks, 9th Londons..KIA 1/7/11. Robert Plenderleath 8th E Yorks KIA 13/11/16 (may have DOW due to burial location). Note red sandstone type headstone.

post-15846-013457900 1290165227.jpg

post-15846-010979400 1290165249.jpg

Note the mispelling on Corps.

post-15846-006325800 1290165852.jpg

post-15846-043676700 1290165876.jpg

10/11. Today I parked at the southern end of Flers and walked across the fields to the east taking in Bulls Road Cemetery, point 91, Grass Lane and then to AIF Burial Ground. There I visited The Earl Of Fevershams grave, CO of 21st KRRC

:poppy:

Glad you did that, TT !

Lovely pictures.

Liz