Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

The photos aren't members of my family, I bought the three together recently. The photos all had the same handwriting on the back ('Harry Travis', 'Uncle Jack' and 'Uncle Jim') and the two others were taken in Lancashire and one was a Lancashire Fusilier, so it's possible

Thanks

Assuming a Lancashire connection, these are the other two contenders, but titles seem too long when compared with the photo. It is not Lancashire Fusiliers so by a process of elimination King's Regt seems the most likely. If over the border from Yorkshire then other possibilities with short and curved titles would apply.

post-599-012058600 1294683149.jpg

post-599-052293900 1294683175.jpg

Unknown soldiers Scottish Horse

They are wearing an unusual looking tunic with Prussian collar and 3 buttons on sleeve. It looks to be dark blue. Grumpy might know something about this. It seems fairly unique.

Having watched this thread with interest for a while i thought it about time i started contributing with a few cards of my own:

post-1012-048109400 1294753871.jpg

Corporal 350980 Harry George Drinkwater

No 12. GHQ Reserve M.T. Coy

As signed

103rd Field Ambulance

Royal Army Medical Corps. 34th Division insignia on sleeve

post-1012-065779000 1294753997.jpg

No idea as to the identity of the soldier or his unit but still a nice card. Photographer from Dunfermline.

post-1012-042923900 1294754148.jpg

A few more.

First a photo taken by G Petrie of Main Street Dundee. Soldier is Royal Garrison Artillery but not sure of the significance of the R on his right arm.

post-1012-074601300 1294762402.jpg

Now the following two are a bit unresearched so far but you insignia and medal experts can have a bit of fun.

First although he has signed the card not sure on him or the shoulder title. Bottom part looks like ASC for Army Service Corps but not sure s to bit above it where first letter looks like a V.

post-1012-011614100 1294762630.jpg

Final one of this batch. Signed on the back 'Your loving son, Jack. July 1916.' Interesting as i do not recognise anything on the pic, uniform, collar or cap insignia or the medals.

post-1012-091065500 1294762791.jpg

A few more.

First a photo taken by G Petrie of Main Street Dundee. Soldier is Royal Garrison Artillery but not sure of the significance of the R on his right arm.

post-1012-074601300 1294762402.jpg

1st class Rangetaker.

Rangetaker was an RA, Infy and Cavy skill, intro 1914. Other than RA, it was intended for MG personnel, not a unit skill.

Unless he is an instructor [unlikely as he is not an NCO] he should really be wearing it bottom left sleeve.

No idea as to the identity of the soldier or his unit but still a nice card. Photographer from Dunfermline.

Royal Scots??

With two dark tassels on the light haired sporran the two main candidates I can think of would be the Gordons and the Seaforths. It's not the Seaforths, and the glengarry badge looks ok for the Gordons, but the sporran badge looks odd for Gordons. Looks like the Gordons double garters - if his left leg was turned slightly more parallel to the camera and the spats buttons were black it would definitely be the Gordons!

Now the following two are a bit unresearched so far but you insignia and medal experts can have a bit of fun.

First although he has signed the card not sure on him or the shoulder title. Bottom part looks like ASC for Army Service Corps but not sure s to bit above it where first letter looks like a V.

Pure guess, VR - Volunteer Reserve?

It's a fairly commonly encountered distinction of the Scottish Horse khaki SD, eg:

http://www.google.co...ved=0CCAQ9QEwAQ

If it is exclusive to the Scottish Horse then it is "unusual", commonly encountered amongst them or not. They were but a miniscule part of the British Army. Some have scalloped pockets and some do not and the man far left clearly has an economy pattern tunic variant so presumably the modifications were made up by the unit tailor.

post-1012-011614100 1294762630.jpg

Yes, ASC with the distinctive sharp pointed star variant of their collar badge and a seemingly pristine example of the belt from a set of 1903 Bandolier Equipment. I agree with Andrew that it looks like VR (Volunteer Reserve) above the ASC shoulder title.

post-599-073642800 1294772595.jpg

Pte. Lawrence Patrick Fitzgerald 1st Battn. N/Derby with RFC ? friend

Yes, RFC wearing a pistol holster and ammunition pouch, and possibly also a brother or cousin of Fitzgerald's, as there is a clear family resemblance.

They are wearing an unusual looking tunic with Prussian collar and 3 buttons on sleeve. It looks to be dark blue. Grumpy might know something about this. It seems fairly unique.

Thank you for the information

Paul

Gordon Highlander I think going by the sporran, glengarry badge, double tab on the hose garters and what seems a yellow looking over stripe on the government background tartan. The sporran badge is not regimental though and looks to be the generic army badge of a crown surmounted by a lion, perhaps a Victorian era badge. The glengarry is not diced so he must presumably be a piper. Perhaps 'Tam' can confirm?