Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

This is Charles Walter Ellis, 2nd Bn West Yorkshire Regiment and presumably his wife. From Willougbhy Grove in Leeds he was captured and spent time as a PoW. Nothing startling in the photo as far as I can see but he does have the bar of his watch chain protruding through one of his breast pocket buttonholes.

CharlesMrsEllis.jpg

Cheers,

Nigel

This is Charles Walter Ellis, 2nd Bn West Yorkshire Regiment and presumably his wife. From Willougbhy Grove in Leeds he was captured and spent time as a PoW. Nothing startling in the photo as far as I can see but he does ahve the bar of his watch chain protruding through one of his breast pocket buttonholes.

Cheers,

Nigel

This photo nicely illustrates the great colour variation in the khaki worn by the BEF. It is rare to find two surviving pieces that match. Those trousers Do Not match that tunic!

I think he has a scout badge on his right sleeve?

Steve.

Atnomis's clean up job is tremendous. Thank you very much.

I have scanned the image again and can now get a better view of the 'badge' than is possible through a loupe.

post-437-077085400 1294060439.jpg

I'm afraid that I have to conclude that it is a patch of discolouration, probably foxing. Due to where it is it appears to resemble a scout badge, but it most probably isn't.

Cheers,

Nigel

ASC, what is the flash on his left sleeve, 47th Div ?

Ceertainly looks like a 47th Divison patch - Taff Gillingham has said that these patches were not worn in the Division so this one might be the exception that proves the rule.

Ceertainly looks like a 47th Divison patch - Taff Gillingham has said that these patches were not worn in the Division so this one might be the exception that proves the rule.

Do I detect a note of gentle heh! heh! heh!

Be sure to draw ChiefChum's attention to your post, it will make his year .......... and yours!

Thanks Graham and Frogsmile. The original is quite good quality, so I've tried attaching a crop from the second man's upper arm.

I conclude that as it's only the 2 men who appear to be wearing the upper arm badge that it might be some kind of qualification badge used internally within that battalion, which is not unheard of.

Do I detect a note of gentle heh! heh! heh!

Be sure to draw ChiefChum's attention to your post, it will make his year .......... and yours!

The exception might just be because the picture is post war?

Scots Guards Pre War-a favorite despite its condition.

Cleaned up. Hope you dont mind.

post-12.jpg

Cheers

Atnomis

VERY interesting.

A good conduct chevron [minimum 2 or 3 years depending on date]

Best shot battalion Cpls and below.

Shooting medals? [surely not Temperance]

and a white/scarlet 2SG title without thistle

Fine photo.

A photo of a 2nd Lieutenant in the Royal Scots Fusiliers in December 1916 or Jan 1917 which I hope people might find of interest (he is my grandad, 2nd Lieut. S. Revels, 1st RSF).

He is wearing a Scottish pattern cut-away jacket with khaki trousers/breeches rather than the trews which are sometimes shown in uniform books for Lowland regiments, and he has a small moustache (he told me that in his battalion officers and NCOs were expected to grow moustaches if they could, but 2nd Lieuts weren't supposed to have them wider than the mouth). He has a handkerchief poking out from his left sleeve, he holds gloves and his hands are resting on a walking stick (although you can hardly see this) and his tie is flambouyantly spread. He already has two of the three wound stripes he was to get.

William

post-49411-098472900 1294162499.jpg

VERY interesting.

Fine photo.

Agreed a cracking photo Grumpy and interestingly (for me) it shows the same kind of battalion number that Joe Sweeney mentioned and that I believe appears in your CG group photo earlier in the thread.

VERY interesting.

Fine photo.

...and regimental buttons. A superb photo.

Piper R Taylor from Poplar. 1/18th London Irish, 1918.

Note the dark green cuffs, dark green diamond battalion sign and TOS with dark green badge backing. Note the way the overseas service have been applied to the bandsman's inverted 4 chevrons surmounted by the bugle badge. Dark green cords with a loop worn around the neck. Dark green hose worn with full length puttees and saffron kilt. Dark green bagpipe cords.

The hose flashes were also saffron coloured. The jacket is a normal SD issue, complete with London Irish black buttons, with the front skirts roughly tacked back to simulate a highland 'cut away' look. This was very common in kilted units and it avoided permanent alteration to the jacket, which had been prohibited by a GRO earlier in the war.

Regards

Tocemma

Weird .... he is badged as the bugle major, I think ...... but was the battalion Light Infy ...... a puzzle! Either way, I think the bugle is in fact a pair, intertwined? Any chance of a close-up please?