Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

tadworth camp

Sue S

Hi, I have a number of postcards which were sent from Tadworth Camp in 1916 but despite my best efforts on Google have found very little about the camp or its whereabouts. Any information gratefully received. Kind Regards. Sue

Hi, I have a number of postcards which were sent from Tadworth Camp in 1916 but despite my best efforts on Google have found very little about the camp or its whereabouts. Any information gratefully received. Kind Regards. Sue

Is it possible that it was Tidworth???

As Sue probably has already found out, there was a Tadworth Camp in Surrey but, as she says, Googling leads to very little except

this

which she must surely have discovered.

And nothing results from an IWM documents word search, and there are appear only to have been passing references in

the Forum.

Andy is justified in wondering whether Tidworth was meant. Several times I've seen postcards of Tadworth Camp with the dealer's pencilled annotation that it is in Wiltshire or Hampshire, it having been misread as Tidworth (which is just in Wiltshire).

Moonraker

PS I've just Googled "Tadworth Camp 1916", which brings up some hits, thought the references appear to be incidental. I'll leave it to Sue to work through them, if she hasn't done so already.

The search criteria to use here should include >

Royal Fusiliers

Epsom

Ashtead

Tattenham or Tattenham Corner

When they talk of Tadworth Camp they mean Epsom Downs Racecourse, at the NE corner of which is Tattenham Corner Station. The built-up area N and E of that is Tadworth.

I do recall that the Epsom Stamp Exchange http://www.epsomstamp.co.uk/ used to stock a locally published history of the camp.

There's also this:

Tadworth: an illustrated history by Kenneth R Clew (R J Chappell Ltd, 1968).

The local library should have a copy of this and of the book suggested by Tom.

Moonraker

The search criteria to use here should include >

Royal Fusiliers

Epsom

Ashtead

Tattenham or Tattenham Corner

When they talk of Tadworth Camp they mean Epsom Downs Racecourse, at the NE corner of which is Tattenham Corner Station. The built-up area N and E of that is Tadworth.

I do recall that the Epsom Stamp Exchange http://www.epsomstamp.co.uk/ used to stock a locally published history of the camp.

Tadworth Camp was located immediately to the west of the B290 between Tadworth and Tattenham corner. OS grid ref 575225 (TQ 25/35 )It was certainly in use by WW1 and was used by many units including the Royal Fusiliers and the Canadians. I also believe it was used by the Canadians in WW2. It is right on the edge of Epsom Downs which was used for training in both wars. It is now partly built over.

As far as I know there hasn't been a book published about the camp - the booklet which is mentioned above refers to Woodcote Park Camp nearby which was used as Canadian convalescent camp during WW1. Before this it was a training camp for the Public Schools Brigade.

Bourne Hall Museum Ewell which is the local museum for the area should be able to help with some details of Tadworth Camp. David Brookes or Jeremy Hart are the contacts there.

Regards, Roger