Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform identification please

Buttercup

Hello

Could anyone identify this uniform please. It's hard to see but he is holding something in his hand, not sure if it's a hat/helmet? Also his medals are probably very obvious to someone on here, I don't know any of them. I think the number on his collar is 134 and it looks like he has sargeant stripes? I also wondered if this was a policeman's uniform, some how it looks like it.

Any help would be most gratefully recieved

Thank you

Buttercup :D:D

ps think I have attached the photo - will come back after eating to check :rolleyes:

post-35105-1254851991.jpg

I would say he is a Policeman!!

#134!

He seems to be wearing a DCM {Edward VII Obverse,possibly} Queens & Kings South Africa Medals & LSGC Army

The Cross Belt could be Corps Of Commissionaires ~ did they have numbers??

I would say he is a Policeman!!

#134!

He seems to be wearing a DCM {Edward VII Obverse,possibly} Queens & Kings South Africa Medals & LSGC Army

The Cross Belt could be Corps Of Commissionaires ~ did they have numbers??

Thanks Harry - I'm afraid that I don't know what the LSGC is or who the COC is? I have person in my tree that I think this is but he was in the 8th Hussars and then the 3rd Dragoons - he was in the Army 24 years, he managed to get it extended. He also lied about his age in order to come back for WW1 from Canada. In 1901 he was a recruiting sargeant, b: 1863, I'm thinking the photo is late 1800's early 1900's - could this be a recruiting uniform? And could one of the medals be the Burma medal, he got that. I may be barking up the wrong branch of the tree here. :wacko::unsure:

I agree with Harry, (who is the fountain of knowledge) he is a policeman, and that is a kings crown on his cross belt.

Rob

QUOTE (Rob B @ Oct 6 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Harry, (who is the fountain of knowledge) he is a policeman, and that is a kings crown on his cross belt.

Rob

Thanks Rob - I thought he looked like a policeman myself so I am sure you are both right. This person was a policeman but around 1881 and this looks much later so I think I must look for someone else in my tree. Thank you both for your help

:):D

Buttercup,

If it helps he is wearing medals that included the 'Queens' and 'kings' South Africa medals. Maybe a coronation issued during his Police service. Clearly he served in the military prior to his Police service. With the rank of Sergeant togetrher with his bearing I would guess that this photograph could be from around 1908 - 10. the Boer War ended in 1902. The first three medals probably military fourth possible coronation.

Tony P

Buttercup,

Further thought, the crossbelt and epeaulettes do look similar to the Corps of Commisionares. Many NCOs retired and often kept their Army rank which could date the photograph a little earlier. The last medal could be a Long Service Medal.

Tony P

. It's hard to see but he is holding something in his hand,

I think it's his wife.

Buttercup,

Further thought, the crossbelt and epeaulettes do look similar to the Corps of Commisionares. Many NCOs retired and often kept their Army rank which could date the photograph a little earlier. The last medal could be a Long Service Medal.

Tony P

[/quote

Thanks Tony - I think it's possible that he was a policeman again in the early 1900's before going to Canada in 1907. He was discharged in Dec 1906 and went to Canada early in 1907. But it's also possible I have the wrong person altogether.

:D

Buttercup,

Tony P

Do you think the second one in from the middle of his chest could be the Burma medal? I looked online and it has dark navy and red stripes?

Thanks again for responding everyone

:D

could one of the medals be the Burma medal

The 'Burma' Medal was actually the India General Service Medal 1854-1895 with the relevant 'Burma' clasp. The IGSM and Distinguished Conduct Medal do look very much like each other but I tend to agree with Harry that this appears to be a DCM.

The second and third medals are definitely Queen's and King's South Africa Medals, so as per Harry's post in #1 we have from left to right.. Distinguished Conduct Medal, Queen's South Africa Medal, King's South Africa Medal and Long Service & Good Conduct Medal.

Do you have a possible name for the man?

Regards

Steve

The 'Burma' Medal was actually the India General Service Medal 1854-1895 with the relevant 'Burma' clasp. The IGSM and Distinguished Conduct Medal do look very much like each other but I tend to agree with Harry that this appears to be a DCM.

The second and third medals are definitely Queen's and King's South Africa Medals, so as per Harry's post in #1 we have from left to right.. Distinguished Conduct Medal, Queen's South Africa Medal, King's South Africa Medal and Long Service & Good Conduct Medal.

Do you have a possible name for the man?

Regards

Steve

Yes Steve - he was Walter Frisby b:1861/63 Market Deeping Lincs. I was trying to identify him as being the man in the photo as he is very like his brother Thomas G Frisby who I have a photo of and know for sure that it is Thomas. These brothers married Mears sisters and are my G Aunts. They all went to BC Canada and both Thomas and Walter came back for WW1 but they remained in this country I believe, they were both over the age of recruitment here I think. Walter was a policeman on the 1881 census and in the army by 1884. I am beginning to think it may not be him - I was given the photo by a cousin who did not know who it was. I wonder if it is possible to identify him by the number on his collar? Would the police keep this kind of record do you suppose.

Thanks again

Buttercup B)