Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army List (RAMC)

DDP1955

Hi Guys

I have for the past few months been trying to researchLt Col Thomas McCulloch who worked as a surgeon at Netley Military Hospital, died at QA Cosham in 1915, and is buried at Netley Military Hospital. He has been very difficult to trace

I am currently looking at the Army List for 1914, and he is under the list of 'removed from the Corps and still on the active list

Could somebody please give me some idea of what this means

Dianne

You may have made a mistake there, Dianne. The "Removed from the corps.." refers, I think, to the colonels and above, not the Lt Colonels and below.

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Jul 7 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may have made a mistake there, Dianne. The "Removed from the corps.." refers, I think, to the colonels and above, not the Lt Colonels and below.

Ahhh! I didn't realise that

In that case, I have got him at Netley (I think) from July 1911, the date by the side of his name

Strangeley I can't get him or any member of his family on the 1911 census, so presumably they were abroad prior to him taking up his posting at Netley

Any help on this man gratefully recieved ....

In that case, I have got him at Netley (I think) from July 1911, the date by the side of his name

Hello Dianne

In the Army List, the date(s) by an officxer's name usually denote the effective date of his last promotion, or commission in the case of second-lieutenants. It does not normally refer to the date he took up his current appointment. So he may have been elsewhere in July 1911 when promoted, and moved later to Netley.

Ron

In the Army List, the date(s) by an officxer's name usually denote the effective date of his last promotion, or commission in the case of second-lieutenants. It does not normally refer to the date he took up his current appointment. So he may have been elsewhere in July 1911 when promoted, and moved later to Netley.

Hi Ron

Thanks for that, you have saved me from going off on a wild goose chase. I'll have to go and look at the archives for Netley I think, which I believe are either in the Southampton or Hampshire archives. Not quite sure which, so I'll have to do a bit of rooting around to find out!

Dianne

Hello Dianne

If that fails, there should be a series of Monthly Army Lists at the Prince Consort's Library, Aldershot, or at Southampton University Library. Perhaps a Pal with access to one of these could help you.

Ron

• 1 year later...

Back to Lt Col Thomas McCullock, after a bit of a break while I've been researching another surgeon ....

Could somebody who has 'Medical Officers in the British Army 1660 - 1960 Volume I' please look this man up for me please?

I have Volume II but not Volume !, which doesn't really help with this man

Many thanks

Dianne

Dianne

Hopefully I'm right in assuming that he's McCulloch - no Thomas McCullock in Vol. 1. The abbreviations should be the same as set out in Vol. 2, but the entry as printed:

Thomas McCulloch

S., aftds. S. Capt., 5 Feb. 1887. R.A.M.C. Capt. 5 Feb 1887.

Maj. 5 Feb. 1899.

Lt. Col. 29 July 1911.

Dep. Ass. Dir. Gen. 1 May 1902 to 30 Apl. 1906.

China 1900.

b. 4 May 1861. M.B., Glasg. 1884.

Member of the Mediterranean Fever Commission, 1906.

Re-employed during Great War of 1914.

d. at Portsmouth, 25 June 1915.

Sue

Hopefully I'm right in assuming that he's McCulloch - no Thomas McCullock in Vol. 1. The abbreviations should be the same as set out in Vol. 2, but the entry as printed:

Thomas McCulloch

S., aftds. S. Capt., 5 Feb. 1887. R.A.M.C. Capt. 5 Feb 1887.

Maj. 5 Feb. 1899.

Lt. Col. 29 July 1911.

Dep. Ass. Dir. Gen. 1 May 1902 to 30 Apl. 1906.

China 1900.

b. 4 May 1861. M.B., Glasg. 1884.

Member of the Mediterranean Fever Commission, 1906.

Re-employed during Great War of 1914.

d. at Portsmouth, 25 June 1915.

Sue

You are a star, this is exactly who I am looking for .... rather high ranking!!

He's no relation or anything, I just became interested in him after coming across his grave at the cemetery at Netley

Bit by bit I've been trying to put his life together but he has been somewhat elusive

Many thanks

Dianne

Hi Dianne I found this on Lt Col Thomas McCulloch,His son 2nd Lt Robert Arthur Douglas McCulloch 19 was killed in action 3rd May 1915

http://docs.google.c...1vKpaO67sG1vLjg

http://www.findagrav...4&GRid=35352897&

regards

Ian

Dianne

His obituary from the British Medical Journal, 17 July 1915:

Lieutenant-Colonel Thomas Campbell McCulloch, R.A.M.C., died suddenly of heart disease at the Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, Hants, on June 25th. He was born on May 4th, 1861, educated at Glasgow, where he took the M.B. and C.M. with commendation in 1884, and entered the army as surgeon on February 5th, 1887, becoming Major on February 5th, 1899, and lieutenant-colonel on July 29th 1911. He served in the third China war in 1900, when he was mentioned in despatches in the London Gazette of September 13th, 1901, and recieved the medal. From May 1st, 1902, to April 25th, 1906, he was Deputy Assistant Director-General of the Army Medical Service, and in 1906 he served as a member of the committee for the investigation of Mediterranean fever.

Aled

I'm not far across the water from you Dianne :)

FYI, Mediterranean fever (also known as Malta fever or undulant fever) = brucellosis. Usually caught from infected dairy produce, particularly goats' milk.

• 9 months later...

Dianne,

I've just come across this query as I'm researching his son, Robert Arthur Douglas McCulloch

Check out royalvictoriamilitaryhospital.blogspot.com - there is a good precis of Thomas McCulloch's life there

Andrewr