Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

White Chateau Pottege Wood?

johnnie

I have just picked up a group of photos relating to the Great War, and was wondering if anybody might be able

to shed some light on them. The first four are old photographs of people at the horse races in France before

the war. On the rear is the following:

post-11843-1228131871.jpg

On another is written

"Found in photo album in the trenches so keep this as souvenier. I have other three

I will send one each letter"

So the four would appear to go together, and they all show what appears to be the same race meeting.

I was wondering if anybody had any idea where White Chateu, Pottege Wood, or Eprey was?

Along with the photos was a photograph of a soldier in uniform, and I was wondering if anybody might be

able to identify the unit the man served with.

Any help with this would be great.

Jonathan

post-11843-1228132101.jpg

post-11843-1228132094.jpg

Jonathan - Pottege is probably Potijze, to the east of Ypres. If I recall correctly, the White Chateau is Potijze Chateau. Could Eprey be a mis-spelling of Ypres/Ieper?

Alan

J

I agree with Alan. At that early stage of the war it was probably a phonetic expression for Ypres among the others, Wipers etc and,once heard committed to paper in the way you think it is spelt ! There may not have been many signposts left to read in order to correct any spelling either ! Potijze is spot on too, in my opinion.

Sotonmate

Thanks for that. Well now just to try and work out which unit the man was with. The photo of the man

came with the cards, however I suppose one can never be 100% sure he is related to the cards, or the man

who found them. Then again they appear to have been together for quite a while.

Jonathan

PS, though I would add the images incase anybody is interested.

post-11843-1228134767.jpg

post-11843-1228134776.jpg

Here are the final two. I assume they are taken at the races, but then again it could be some kind of

meeting/gathering/ralley which was held at a racecourse.

Jonathan

post-11843-1228134985.jpg

post-11843-1228134993.jpg

Just wanted to bring this back to the top to see if anybody could help with the

soldiers unit from the uniform/cap badge.

Johnnie

The detail of the cap badge is unfortunately too fuzzy to make out the centre, but from its shape I would venture either the Cheshire Regiment or the East Yorkshire Regiment.

I would say Cheshire as the scroll seems to be detached at the tips, can you see under a magnifying glass if its a rose or an acorn in the centre?

Regards Charles

Thanks for the suggestions. I have ahd a look with a magnifying glass however cannot make out what the centre is. I have also tried to sharpen it on the computer but have had no luck.

Perhaps this one will have to remain unidentified.

Can anybody suggest a date for his uniform? I was also wondering what the band was that seems to run across

his hat and behind the badge at a strange angle. I though this band would run straight across the ran over the peak.

I wonder if he might be a pre war regular as he seems quite old.

Jonathan

Jonathan

Perish the thought that he might have actually used the band for it's true purpose,as a chin strap to keep the hat on in a wind,and not put it back properly !

Sotonmate

White Chateau, or should I say the sad echo of what it used to be.

Not sure if this is your White Chauteau (NW of Hollebeke), as there have been two or more chateau's by that name around Ypres.

Quite a lenghty thread about it in the Ypres-forum.

Roel

post-5443-1228395207.jpg

Thanks for the photo. I wonder if it could be the same place?

As for the strap. I had never thought about that option!

Jonathan

In the 4 photo's from the 'Race meeting', there are a few men in uniform. The uniforms look to be French or Belgium in style. Is there any clues as to photographer etc on the cards?

Regards,

Stewart

There are no names on the rear and there are also no photographer names like you find on most English cards. They are on very think card rather than a thinner material.

The only clue (if indeed it is one) is on the stand where one is marked TRIBUNE REPUBLIQUE, while the other is maked TRIBUNE DES ME?????(the rest of the word is cut out.

I will post a photo of the uniforms on the photo as somebody might be able to identify them.

Jonathan

I would say Cheshire as the scroll seems to be detached at the tips, can you see under a magnifying glass if its a rose or an acorn in the centre?

Regards Charles

Pals,

I posted a side-by-side comparison of some of these Garter Star-based cap badges in an earlier Topic here: Images of some Garter Star style cap badges

I missed off the East Yorkshires, so here's theirs:

post-20192-1228400338.jpg

I'd say looking at the scroll ends, it's a toss-up between Cheshires, East Yorks and East Surreys.

Cheers,

Mark