Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Farnworth - Nth lancs regt - 2 x reg numbers?

lorrs58

Hi,

Thomas Farnworth. Pte 1992 - 240412. 1st/4th Bn. The Loyal Lancashire Regt. Died of Wounds 14/05/1918

Could anyone please help. I am confused because he has 2 reg numbers on his Medal index card. Why?. I think he was awarded the Military Medal but I cannot tell from his index card. Where else could I find more information. He died of wounds in Pernes, a casualty clearing station. I am not sure which battle he was fighting in, when he was injured.

Thanks all

The 1/4th Bn Loyals was a TF unit. During early 1917 the whole TF underwent a complete numbering change, so the 4 digit numbers were replaced with 6 digit numers. Having both numbers on his MIC would suggest that he was already serving overseas prior to this change. You can read about the TF numbering changes here on the mother site. There are 2 MICs listed at the NA I believe that the first one which only has his 6 digit number may be the card for his MM,

Jon

He`s shown as 240412, A Coy, Wd 14/5/18 (not DoW) in the 1/4th history. The text does say that 240412 T.Farnworth was awarded the MM in Oct 1918, having been announced on 25th May. The Bn carried out a large raid on the evening of 14th May in Willow Drain. Casualties were heavy, totalling about 50. 2/Lt Milne & 2/Lt Cooper were killed. They withdrew at 2pm on the 15th.

The 1/4th Bn Loyals was a TF unit. During early 1917 the whole TF underwent a complete numbering change, so the 4 digit numbers were replaced with 6 digit numers. Having both numbers on his MIC would suggest that he was already serving overseas prior to this change. You can read about the TF numbering changes here on the mother site. There are 2 MICs listed at the NA I believe that the first one which only has his 6 digit number may be the card for his MM,

Jon

Hi Jon,

I went onto the National Archive site and found the other MIC. The MM is listed on the 6 digit number. Thanks again

Lorraine

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Aug 28 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He`s shown as 240412, A Coy, Wd 14/5/18 (not DoW) in the 1/4th history. The text does say that 240412 T.Farnworth was awarded the MM in Oct 1918, having been announced on 25th May. The Bn carried out a large raid on the evening of 14th May in Willow Drain. Casualties were heavy, totalling about 50. 2/Lt Milne & 2/Lt Cooper were killed. They withdrew at 2pm on the 15th.

Hi Phil,

Thomas is listed on the cwgc as dying on the 14/5/1918. He was taken to Pernes. A casualty clearing station. On his one of his MIC's it states he died of his wounds.

This research is for a dear old lady from Wigan. This gentleman is her Uncle, whom she had never met. Ironically he also had a brother. Walter Birchall Farnworth. He was killed in the October of the same year. 1918. Tragic

She was in Belgium last week on a WW1 Battleground tour. Unfortunately she was not computer friendly and so had no details, only the names. It was her first trip abroad in her 72nd year.

I am off now to print out the information. I am sure she will be making another trip.

Thanks again

QUOTE (Phil_B @ Aug 28 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi,

Where was Willow Drain? please.

Thanks