The Guards Memorial is located at the edge of St James Park and Horse Guards.
It was built to commemorate those who lost their lives whilst serving with the Guards Division during the First World War. As well as commemorating those who served in the Foot Guards, the inscription on the memorial remembers the Officers, WO's, SNCO's and men of the supporting arms and logistics units which were part of the Guards Division, which includes the Royal Regiment of Artillery.
A panel at the rear of the memorial portrays an 18 pounder gun in action.
Guards Memorial 18 pounder in action
The Guards Division was formed in France in August 1915 by transferring all the Guards Battalions from the Divisions with which they were serving into the new formation.
When the Division formed, the bulk of the divisional artillery was brought in from the 16th (Irish) Division. The 74th / 75th / 76th Brigades Royal Field Artillery were formed in September 1914 by the Irish Command as New army (K2) units. They moved to Aldershot, then on to Salisbury Plain, equipping with 18 pounders. The fourth unit in the Division was the 61st (Howitzer) Brigade RFA, a New Army (K1) unit which transferred in from the 11th (Northern) Division.
LXXIV - 74 Brigade RFA (232, 233, 234, Batteries)
LXXV - 75 Brigade RFA (235, 236, 237 Batteries)
LXXVI - 76 Brigade RFA (238, 239, 240 Batteries)
The 61st Brigade RFA formed as three x 6 gun batteries. In February 1915 the Brigade re-organised into four x 4 gun batteries. It came under the command of the Guards Division in August 1915, when the 11th Division was ordered to the Mediterranean, and deployed to France.
L61 LXI (Howitzer) Brigade RFA (193,194,195 Batteries)
The Divisional Ammunition Column was originally raised by the 16th (Irish) Division, transferring to the Guards Division. Three Medium Trench Mortar Batteries (X / Y / Z) were formed in March 1916, and a Heavy Trench Mortar Battery (V Guards) in May.
The 61st (Howitzer) Brigade was broken up in November 1916 and the units left the Division. D/61 Battery would transfer to 50th (Northumbrian) Division.