Wulverghem (now Wulvergem) was the scene of a German gas attack on the night of 29-30 April 1916 which was repulsed by the 3rd and 24th Division. The village was captured by the Germans on 14 April 1918 and reoccupied by the 30th Division on the following 2 September. Packhorse Farm was the name given to a farm on the east side of the most direct road from Lindenhoek to Wulverghem, and a little south of it was a wayside shrine, later rebuilt nearer to the farm. The cemetery was one of two made by the 46th (North Midland) Division who occupied this sector in the early summer of 1915. It was used only from April to June 1915. Packhorse Farm Shrine Cemetery contains 59 Great War burials. The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw.